Hacker?

carnag3

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I feel like a bit of an idiot asking this, but what is the chance I have been hacked by someone else and they were syphening off my files?, what raised my suspician was a strange upload ammount from my connection, and I am 99% sure it wasnt from utorrent.

I am running Windows 7 ultimate, fully updates, MSE and windows Firewall with no settings changes, I am behind a Belkin router, with a custom admin password on it, and the firewall is active on that, and I get a perfect score on, https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2, aka the shields up test, Its not like I have noticed ny strange behaviour on my computer, except for the uploading, after some research i was told to do the netstat -a command, and to be completely honest it does confuse me a bit, there are lots of ip's there I dont know, and probably one of th emor econcerning ones was 125.56.205.88 and 125.56.205.24 both of which are 'ESTABLISHED" I am nobody significant, and I dont exactly understand why someone would hack me, but I do not like the idea of osmeone having acess to all my personal files.

I do ue torrents, but never anything with exe in it, and I am not an idiot when it comes to computers, although my above post sounds rather like it.

I have run a full MSE, AD-Aware, and Spybot Search and Destroy, only resulting in Adaware finding some old cracks for games from years ago that would not have been used for years (so not this instalation)

The only software I realy run, that id say is possibly insecure is Creative suite 5 Master, I also do connect to my Printer through the router.

Thanks for your time guys.

Thanks for your reply, hopefully someone will be able to spread some mor elight, what are the odds someone woul actualy hack through my router? I would imagine it would be easier and mor eefficient to go after people with no protection.

What kind of jump are we talking here? Chances are it is your torrents. What makes you think that the "jump" didn't come from utorrent? What does the "Uploaded" column say for your torrents in this bandwidth count period?

I am nobody significant, and I dont exactly understand why someone would hack me
for that exact reason. botnets are big business. one PC is useless, but when they control 500k computers, whoever controls the botnet then has the power to DDOS small countries.

you are though, probably worrying over nothing. shut your computer down, wait a few minutes for connections to your router to flush, then restart the computer and look for what is using the network. if you dont have any network analysis programs, open the status window of your network connection and watch for number of packets or bytes. open task manager and see if there is anything you recognize and can kill.

if you are comfortable screwing around with the registry, go here
HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current version>run
and see if there is anything you dont need.
also try HKCU>software>microsoft>windows>current version>run
and do the same.

for that exact reason. botnets are big business. one PC is useless, but when they control 500k computers, whoever controls the botnet then has the power to DDOS small countries.

you are though, probably worrying over nothing. shut your computer down, wait a few minutes for connections to your router to flush, then restart the computer and look for what is using the network. if you dont have any network analysis programs, open the status window of your network connection and watch for number of packets or bytes. open task manager and see if there is anything you recognize and can kill.

^this. You aren't being "hacked" as much as just might possibly have an infection. Uninstall your torrenting software, restart, and see if the activity persists. If it does, there is a chance you did get infected. No matter how careful you are, torrents are still inherently unsafe, so while you may keep all of your shit up to date, infection may still be possible.
Are you running win 7 64bit?

And don't feel like an idiot asking these kind of questions. It is a perfectly legit question to ask, suspicious activity is suspicious for a reason!

Sorry for the late reply and resurection of the post, I started back at uni, so it's been hectic, It was a around 2gig, I am on win7 64 bit, and just to add to the info, any torrent I have downlaoded ends in mkv or avi, not .exe, if you catch my drift.

So after a hit of paranoia I cant see how I have anything, everything checked out from ad-aware s&s etc, MSE picks up nothing, I have windows firewall and a router firewall.

Maybe I was being overparanoid, I honestly cant recall how long the connection had been live, and also theres a good chance this was after I had installed photoshop and office 2010, on my mums pc from a share on mine, would this be counted? from my understanding, that status of the lan will show up all data not just 'internet'...

Thanks for the time guys.

On that note but, I do use x-chat, (silverx's free build) is that likely to be a weak point? I only connect to one server and its ran by a mate and we are all part of a small company, no trust issues there? (It isnt ssl)

Does your router have the newest firmware ? Does it have wireless too ? Does any one else have the password ? maybe change the wireless password if it is on.

Back