Ha! Kyle's Ultra-X died

HTPC Rookie said:
Yeah, well, I looked at it pretty well, and it also does file sharing...wow. If you can't do that with a "stock" installation of Windows, you (or your 5 year old) probably shouldn't be into mirra boxes either.

"RAID 1 is all great till you have a power surge in the box that burns tons of stuff or a windows install that kills itself off."

I was not aware mirra boxes were immune to power surges.

If mirra is doing a real-time backup, and your Windows hoses itself, it's image is hosed too. A decent full drive restore utility is a better idea.

I'm not arguing against mirra. If you have the money, and are into nifty toys, it appears to be the balls. If you want practical and cheap, there's better ways.
Wow. when did all the Kyle bashing start..

and how soon will it end.

Damn, they make forums for everything these days.

My main alternative would have been rigging something up in software...but I guess the point of the Mirra would be a no-hassle small network / workgroup recovery solution, and it sounds to be very good at that. It's a bit high priced for home applications, but then you're talking one guy that can probably just burn stuff to CD or whatever. And it's a bit small for larger networks, but by then you've probably got something else going anyway along the line of an actual server dedicated to it. Between one end and the other it looks to do a nice job of filling the gap. It works, it works well, and it's reasonably priced for the target audiance.

burningrave101 said:
We told you it sucked because it had given lackluster performance or failed in all the REAL PSU reviews it had been in and quite a few poeple had already had them die on them.

It failed in two reviews. Most reviews say it's a good power supply (unless crossloaded.)

Mine's two years old. Perhaps I should replace it before it blows up.....

.... Nah! ;)

EDIT: They're selling for $40 because they're discontinued. The product line is being moved to a value line in favor of a dual-rail 120MM model with stronger rails. Now I must go and get my NDA defying ass slapped around. :D

And to the dumb ass that titled this thread: Ultra-X is a company that makes POST cards and RAM stress test. The company that makes the power supply is Ultra Products. ;)

ashmedai said:
Damn, they make forums for everything these days.

My main alternative would have been rigging something up in software...but I guess the point of the Mirra would be a no-hassle small network / workgroup recovery solution, and it sounds to be very good at that. It's a bit high priced for home applications, but then you're talking one guy that can probably just burn stuff to CD or whatever. And it's a bit small for larger networks, but by then you've probably got something else going anyway along the line of an actual server dedicated to it. Between one end and the other it looks to do a nice job of filling the gap. It works, it works well, and it's reasonably priced for the target audiance.

No doubt about it, when you buy a Mirra you are buying the software. The hardware end of the equation is CHEAP.

Mirra is great for a home network, but I think it is a bit too much of a security risk for an office over the size of 10 folks or so.

Ok, so I'm not banned yet. Damn.

I did not say "everyone thinks Kyle is an arrogant asshole" I said I think he is arrogant, not everyone thinks he is. The word "asshole" was nowhere in my PM.

I did not say "everyone bashes him, and I am always defending him". I said I am a member of other forums, where he does get bashed, and I defend him. Mainly I defend his reviews, there are people out there that say they're bullshit, biased, and useless. And I tell those people his reviews are right on the money, if they bother to read them. And they do insult him personally. Childish, they are.

Heading over to the Kyle bashing forums now. But still not gonna join in the bashing there. :D

Just remember... If anyone is an arrogant asshole around here.... it's me. :D

Large majority of long time geeks tend towards arrogant assholeness to one degree or another...side effect of trying to deal with something that seems extremely simple to you and completely eludes a large number of the people you come in contact with. If it bugs you, you've probably got the wrong hobby/career path. ^_^

ashmedai said:
Large majority of long time geeks tend towards arrogant assholeness to one degree or another...side effect of trying to deal with something that seems extremely simple to you and completely eludes a large number of the people you come in contact with. If it bugs you, you've probably got the wrong hobby/career path. ^_^

1. Side effect? Losing your hair is a "side effect" of chemo-therapy threatment. One is caused by the other. Being an asshole because you can't be patient with others who are not as "enlightened" as you, is just being an asshole. One does not cause the other. Your an asshole or your not.

And if you can't be patient with others, stay the fuck away from a forum where people are looking for help. Or at the very least stay out of threads where morons like me are lookin for a little help from some friendly tech-heads.

Side effect, i.e. something that happens incidentally along with the intended result while not being the intended end result itself. Taking a sledgehammer to dead electronics, setting them on fire, et cetera, has a side effect of creating one hell of a mess on the porch. But the intended result is to relieve stress and/or have some entertainment.

Work tech support for a few years...you'll start getting asshole tendancies. And hopefully learn how to play nice in spite of them. ;)

ok... let me get this straight.

The system comes like a Dell. Everything installed and ready to go.

Back's up on the fly.

Can be accessed remotely, especially when you have to go away and you need access to certain files.

You don't have to lug it around.

Seriously.

I'm considering this thing. I mean I never have to worry about shit being backed up .. EVER...

Yeah, you can probably setup something really easy, and it might cost less, but to me this is a more CONVENIENT solution, with warranty.

mohammedtaha said:
I'm considering this thing. I mean I never have to worry about shit being backed up .. EVER...

well there are still several sererios that just scream for the potential of data loss
the typical "infection" senerio would be a poor one however since you have an infected Window box and that file is getting backed up to a Linux box, so while the file is infected the probability of it taking the Mirra OS as well is near ziltch, at least currently there being few cross platform malware

but

Power, Act O God ect can certainly take it out, and is why enterprise still employs multiple backup strategies from imaging whole arrays offsite to hard media backup

and the last point
you can certain backup alot of corrupted data very easily with this :p

Thanks for the link Kyle.
I myself have invested in a old compaq storage system.
It is connected up via 68 pin scsi to my compaq Proliant 1600. So far I have at least four 4.5gb scsi-3 drives in it and have them formatted as ntfs with setting them as mirror drives

I have two mirrors on two different drives mirrored to the other drives in my storage system. The storage device can hold up to: 7 scsi-3 hotswap drives 2.0- 18.5 gb of backup storage. It has the options of: Hot-swap fans, Hot-swap power module- upgradable to another power module.

Rather cheap I might add, since I purchased it through ebay and from a Pc recycler in Columbus, OH.

Here is one example of what I use on my own network as a backup storage device.

Scorpionjwp said:
Rather cheap I might add, .
^ ;)

Poorman's RAID Array (as seen on the [H}ardOCP front page a few weeks back)
basically the same thing without the hotswap (Hell so are my Dot Hills, only they have N+1 power)

but that MIrra software package...
Damn I wish they sold that

I would rather spend the money and get something like what I have, than having to build it.
I had set mapping network drives to the Storage system, backing up data as I go. If I need more storage, I just pop in another drive or two.

The mirra surely has some limitations but is very robust for my apps. Set it up on five boxes in my house, check marked what folders I wanted backed up on each after install, and I am done. :)

I Mirra on three boxes on my wireless network, but the main boxes that would be accessing the Mirra mostly are on a gigabit network. I have had some people tell me that they have seen Mirra choke a wireless network. I have never seen any issues on a wired network, even when gaming.

sucks about your ULTRA dying out on you Kyle. i may be a n00b here, but i bought an ULTRA 500w despite reading the forums because it was 29 after rebate at Frys. i took the risk and it seems to be running fine on my system. i have more trouble with my crap nforce3 board not accepting my 6800gt OC (both nvidia, how ironic) than my psu.

how did I miss this thread?

Kyle, we all appreciate you testing out new hardware for us, but I couldn't believe you had the Ultra in your main machine after all the bad things I read about it.
I could kinda understand it if it was for testing only, but with all that nice hardware...talk about tempting fate :eek: :eek:

Anyway, glad everything turned out ok, and best of luck in the future.

Back