• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

H8QME watercooling?

Flybye

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
442
Hi all,

Has anyone water cooled this beast yet for folding?

From what I have read, Socket F has the same bolt pattern as a Socket 939 socket. So then it becomes a matter of finding 4 x Socket 939 water blocks. I was thinking of perhaps then attaching it to a 4x120mm radiator or possibly 2 radiators using 20-30db fans making it as quiet as possible.

Then I know you would still need airflow over the MB, so then that could be handled by a 200-230mm fan or so.

I don't have any hardware. I'm just throwing ideas around ATM. :) What ya guys think?
 
Note - Install TPC if you haven't already, and report your temps.

You can go up to 70°C.

Your motherboard has 3 settings for fans:

FULL SCREAM
Server
Workstation.

This is under System Health or System monitor in BIOS.

I dropped the sound in 1/2 without a big temp increase by selecting Workstation. Didn't try Server.
 
If I can find em, yeah, hopefully copper bases. Would the tops matter in this case? Metal when possible, but if I do decide to to this, it may be difficult to get 4 matching good blocks. Might have to settle for acrylic or some other top.
 
Guys, I don't have any hardware yet lol. Just throwing ideas around. :)
 
Buying a W/C system for a low-buck system doesn't seem to make a lot of sense unless you fab yourself.

Stay tuned, I'm going to do it to a 4P system shortly.
 
True, it wouldn't make sense to use high end W/C hardware. But I've seen generic socket waterblocks for $40. Socket 939 specific blocks on eBay on occasion for $20-$30 or so. And then there is always the old school method of using heater cores.
 
So I guess the general consensus is its not worth it unless you just want a "wow" factor.
 
Yep.

I "wowed" my first G34 4p to death with a water leak but since I had close to 3 bills in the WC system I did it to my second one...the right way this time.
 
The 1U and 2U servers for these sound like a jet taking off at the factory settings (full blast fans).

But you can quiet them to a manageable level without water.
 
Note Socket F is two 6-32 thd nutplates in mobo 3.500" apart.

Yep, we were using the heatsink retension brackets that came with the MB.

That or we were using the brutis mod
013a.jpg


The picture shows how to orientate the plastic hooks for 4.1" pitch heatsink mounting holes. To do a 3.5" just rotate the hooks 180˚.

PS Sorry for hijacking your thread Flybye.
 
Last edited:
I'm using normal Socket F 2U heatsinks on 16-core G34 sockets at 3.3ghz on SE chips. So far, so good No clips, but still centerloading.
 
From what i know of these sockets any 939 capable waterblock will fit. I'd go with something lower restriction like swiftech apogee or apogee GT. I ran one for years on an opty 170, and a couple socket 775 core 2's with great results. Only issue is availability. I see zero on ebay, you might have more luck on some FS forums. I know i sold mine a while back for almost nothing.

I'd say 4 blocks, a decent pump, and a used quad rad would be sufficient, likely could do it for <200 bucks if you could manage to find 4 blocks with the correct hardware to mount them.
 
Crap I completely missed this thread. I just gave any a whole crap load of old water cooling stuff that contained (5) 940/F socket blocks.
 
Back
Top