• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

H8QGL lost LAN ports.

Qinsp

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,154
The LAN ports were working this AM, and now, nothing, just the blinking right amber LED and the front panel Green LED (supermicro case).

Changed cables twice.
Changed ports.
Wired direct to switch.
Launched USB Live version of Ubuntu.
Reset CMOS.
Verified LAN jumper.

As a last try, I'm reinstalling Ubuntu.

Any other ideas? (the reinstall will most likely fail, since Live didn't see it).

What are the odds that the LAN chip fried?
 
ghetto water fried it

I have no other input
 
Well reloading the OS on a different HDD didn't change anything.

I'm at a complete loss.

Reflashing the BIOS is the perhaps the last thing I can try, but I guess I'll contact Tech support in the AM.
 
Try bios reflash.

You could pop in a NIC and get by.
 
Yeah, but it's a brand new board I waited 2 months for.

If it's broke, I need a new one. Sucks.

Footnote: There is very little water cooling can do even with huge fans in a hot area. I kind of knew that, but I suppose I had to learn to the hard way. You can't cool things down much with hot air.

What I did learn:

Those waterblocks are extremely effective. Their temp was the same as the CPU socket steel flap, and the inlet water temp to the radiator, and about 10C from the reported CPU temp.
 
Last edited:
Known issue. Load optimal defaults in the BIOS.
 
Nope. Tried Optimal, Failsafe, removed battery, cold restarts every time, etc.

Now, it's also "double booting" like a SR-2 does. It starts, stops, then starts again.

Start is beep ... beep beep. All short. It runs fine, just no ethernet.
 
It took 2 months the first time, what's another month? :D

Should I have to RMA, do I go to retailer (wiredzone) or to the MFR? It was drop shipped (return addy was Supermicro).
 
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RD890 Northbridge only dual slot (2x16) PCI-e GFX Hydra part (rev 02)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3d)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
00:19.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:19.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:19.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:19.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:19.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
00:1a.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:1a.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:1a.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:1a.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:1a.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
00:1b.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:1b.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:1b.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:1b.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:1b.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
00:1c.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:1c.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:1c.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:1c.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:1c.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
00:1d.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:1d.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:1d.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:1d.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:1d.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
00:1e.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:1e.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:1e.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:1e.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:1e.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
00:1f.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:1f.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:1f.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:1f.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:1f.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)
amd6176@H8QGL:~$

There is the output, I hope it's the whole thing.
 
Yes, it's the entire output. Without network, it's a PITA to get data from the screen to the internet. :D

Getting spoiled. Sneaker-net now.
 
Uh oh.

REFLASH ROMHOLE 1
xxx DONE
xxx DONE
xxx DONE
xxx DONE

REFLASH ROMHOLE 2 .. +----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And it's just sitting there. God I hate BIOS reflashing. :D
 
quit flashing your ROMHOLE around the forums :p
 
Which bios did you flash to? Sounds like the latest official SM bios, but just checking.

Do you have a lappy or something you can plug into the network where the 4p is and verify that the connection works?

When you re-installed Ubuntu, did it say you had a network connection (Second screenshot - http://musky70.no-ip.biz/ubuntu/ubuntu1204install.htm)?

It seems way too odd that both ethernet controllers go out at the same time.
 
Last edited:
Reflashed 3.0a (Feb 2013), which was already on it from the mfr.

Yup, tested with laptop.

No, Ubuntu on new HDD or Live didn't report a network connection.

What's odd is the front panel "sees" the LAN ports. And the right side light comes on. The O/S just can't see it.

LAN was working, then while folding lost the connection, and never regained it.
 
I had the same problem with an H8QGL, mac addresses were showing up as 02:10:00:00:00:00/02:10:00:00:00:01 instead of 00:30:48:XX:XX:XX and no connection could be established. A CMOS reset fixed the problems with LAN1/2 but the IPMI_LAN never worked since and I had to switch to LAN1 to connect to the network (originally my network connection was through IPMI_LAN).

I encountered the "stuck" romhole flash with 3.0a as well. To ensure that it was properly written, I booted to dos and manually flashed the romhole 2 using:

afudos PROTB12.BIN /HOLE:R892

You might need to rename afudos.smc to afudos.exe and rename autoexec.bat to something like flash.bat to do this, otherwise it will automatically start the flash cycle again at boot.
 
Thanks!@

DOH!!! I should have checked the forum. :(

I tore it down for RMA.

Guess I can set up for bench test. After I unbox it :D
 
Last edited:
Naw. I've got too much on my plate.

Since it's already boxed, I'll let SM play with it. Since it was running when it failed, I don't think it could be CMOS settings since it was all stock.

I'm pretty sure it's not something I can fix.
 
Back
Top