h80i usb required?

provoko

Gawd
So I unpacked my h80i and the instructions say to plug this usb cable into a usb header on the mobo.

Is that necessary and what are the consequences if I don't connect it?

that usb cable if for corsair link software, if you have the fans connected to the pump.. you will need to connect the usb cable, that is mandatory to controll the speed of the fans, use fan profiles, check temperatures, control the pump led colors, etc... if you will plug the fans directly on the mobo its not mandatory to use the usb cable.. but you will lose the extra features of corsair link...

Thanks. Yeah, I don't plan on installing the software. I'll have a few different setups where installing it isn't practical or desired. What if I do connect the USB but not install the software?

So this is for a dual socket system, I have a few choices:
4 fans connected to the block & usb header
4 fans connected to mobo, 2 to the cpu header, 2 to case header
2 fans connected to mobo cpu header

I just realized the block uses a header, wtf. If I connect the fans to the cpu header, then I really don't need to connect the block to the mobo, right?

.....Sure, you don't need to connect the block to the mobo. Well, as long as you're ok with the water pump not turning on, and having your CPU bake :|

.....Sure, you don't need to connect the block to the mobo. Well, as long as you're ok with the water pump not turning on, and having your CPU bake :|

Do you know how this thing works, if so, why does the block need a fan header plus sata cable? I can only guess the fan header gets information from the motherboard. Wouldn't the water pump turn on with the sata cable alone?

Do you know how this thing works, if so, why does the block need a fan header plus sata cable? I can only guess the fan header gets information from the motherboard. Wouldn't the water pump turn on with the sata cable alone?

yeah you are totally right, the Block header its if you check the 3 pin connector have only 1 cable, and its just for report the pump reading speed to the mobo and avoid any issue with that... the SATA power connector feeds the pump, the integrated corsair link and fans when connected to the water block and i consider this is the best option so you can connect the 4 fans and save the others motherboards fans header for extra case's aditional fan also with the USB header necesary because throught this the corsair link in the water block receive the readings of the temp of your CPU and adjust automatically the speed of the fans according that temps.. also I recommend to install the corsair link software you will find very usefull to manage all the fans speed connected to the water block and manage profiles (default its quiet.. and you will not be allowed to modify this until install the software wich is so easy of use).

Haha, my bad, i completely forgot about that. It's doubly hilarious when all I had to do to check this was to look through my case window and verify through my own H100i's cabling :V
I just didn't really read this through, and since you made no mention of the SATA power connector, I thought you were completely forgetting about providing power to the pump. Arax is right on all accounts; the 3pin is just so the Corsair Link software can read the pump's tach to report the speed.

Back