h80i stock fan replace

manny_17

Limp Gawd
did anyone replace the stock 120mm fans with their Corsair H80i? what did you replace them with? I personally was thinking about getting 2 of the Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Case Fan..

thoughts? suggestions

Last edited:
They are SP120's now if im not mistaken. Not bad fans really, what do you want to do? more cooling ability? go for GT AP-29's they can be modded to run PWM, just need to add a wire. Quieter? go for a pair of GT AP-15's they arent PWM though.

Im running a pair of AP-29's on my H100i now, but on a fan controller at the moment. Will PWM mod them at somepoint. Great fans, even at high RPM

I read on another forum that if you complain to Corsair, they will send you better ones for free.

the stock fans are noisy... no theyre not the sp120

Last edited:
I have one noctua nf-f12 on an h60. At 4.53ghz on an 2500k im under 65C.

These things are super quiet and have quality written all over them.

If you want another comparison, the akasa Apache black is a little cheaper with similar static pressure, db, and cfm.

I'm using 2 GT AP-15 on my H80i (max speed 24/7), I find their sound much more comfortable than the SP120's shipped with the unit.

DONT replace the stock fans with the Noctura NF-F12s.

The stock corsairs are BETTER, from personal experience.

I have the h80i (see sig) and have tested it with both the 2 x stock fans, and 2 x NF-F12s that I have sitting around.

At the same RPM, the stock fans are a bit quieter and also run slightly cooler CPU (1-2 degrees) temps.

Not sure what you are going for, but I am going for near-silent gaming rig.

For a long while, I used the stock fans and the "quiet" profile in the Corsair Link software. This runs the 2 x fans at 800 RPM. I later switched to "constant rpm" in the Corsair Link software and now run the 2 x fans at 1100RPM. They are still near silent at this RPM.

Then I got the idea to test at given RPMs, the stock Corsair fans vs the NF-F12s I have sitting around doing nothing. Running 2 x Corsairs at 1100RPM vs 2 x NF-F12s at 1100, the Corsairs win slightly in both CPU temp and perceived noise. The NF-F12s go up to 1500 RPM I believe, but at that point, they are way out of the park for my accepted noise level. So I did not test a Corsair 1500 RPM vs NF-F12 1500RPM to see which would win. Both sets of fans would be too loud at that RPM.

The stock fans are only noisy at 1200+. At max RPM, they are a joke. Sounds like a full on hair dryer. BUT, they are dead silent at 800 and damn near silent at 1100, and cool my heavily OCed 990x fine (even at 800RPM)

To the guy who said if you bitch to Corsair they will give you free fans, what forum did you read this on? Can u find a link?

Last edited:
I also run a "silent" rig. I am not sure why you would be against the NF-F12s. The NF-F12s are not supposed to be the best at flat out cooling, they are supposed to offer one of the best cooling/noise ratios.

I have 4 x nf-f12s in my case. By no means are they "out of the park" loud at full load. Also, you can make them run on a low profile simply by attaching the included LNA.

Of course "what is loud?" is a completely subjective question. Just putting in my $.02.

Given there is no standard for measuring this stuff, here is the official info on both.

sp120s
Noise (dBA) 35 dBA
Airflow (CFM) 62.74 CFM
Static Pressure (mm/H2O) 3.1 mm/H2O

NF-F12
Acoustical Noise: 22,4 dB(A)
Airflow: 93,4 m³/h. (~55cfm)
Static Pressure: 2,61 mm H2O

Doug:

FYI, per corsair, the H80i does NOT come with SP120s. It comes with its own fan, not for resale. Its shipped only with the h80i. It is a 2700 rpm max fan and is loud as hell at anything over 2000.

Im an not "against" the nf-f12. Its a great fan, that's why I have 2 in my box of fans.

But, again, at a given "low" RPM, ie 800-1200, the stock corsair H80i fans cool equal to or slightly better than the NF-F12A and are slightly quieter. This is my result from testing both setups. Of course, I don't have a DB meter so that part is subjective.

So I don't see the reason to spend money on a pair of NF-F12s that don't perform any better than the stock Corsairs

I run the Noctuas and love them.

TpE8IF.jpg

Back