H70 - do the coolant pipes need to be at the bottom of the rad?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Just a sanity check - I put it in with them at the top since that's the only way I could get it to easily fit with the motherboard I have. I'm getting 50c idle temps on a stock E8400, with good airflow, fans on quiet, and at load it was thermal throttling massively.

I'm pretty sure it's not the cooler, that I just did it wrong, but I want to sanity check before I take it back apart again.

Corsair designed these coolers (H50/H70) to be mounted any way you want for any case setup. So the position of the pipes should not have any effect. If you are idling at 50c on a stock clock you need to double check and make sure the pump/fans are working. Next make sure you have proper airflow in your case (should have a nice intake of cold air). Make sure you ambient room temperature isn't to hot. Make sure you tubes are not pinched. Make sure your radiator isn't broken or have fins that may be broken.

Other then that, I have no idea why your temps would be at 50c at idle.

kk. Airflow is solid and just fine - this is in the same position it's always been, and I was idling at 45 with a stock HSF with a bad fan, so airflow is pretty decent. I hear the pump occasionally, but not often. Is there any way to tell if the pump is running?

Tubes are not pinched, no fins, no leaks.

Back