H50 Push/Pull as exhaust?

DarkSaturn

Limp Gawd
Corsair recommends using the H50 fan as an intake, but given that the HAF X is already setup with a 240mm in and 200mm (with 200mm and 140mm exhaust), I figured I would try and keep my intakes all with dust filters, and run the H50 as an exhaust, and the last minute I figured I could mount the 140mm externally and do a push pull. Causing a bit of an issue since the door won't quite fit back on (the 140 is too close to the outer edge, should be able to dremel the shroud down a little to get it to close.

334qaux.jpg

Seems to be doing the trick, CPU has been from 27 to 35 depending on load with the door mostly on (lower thumbscrew is in, top held by tape for the moment).

Any concerns running it this way, other than the obvious risk of unwittingly sticking my hand into the exposed fan blades while I plug something in? GTX 460 has the reference cooler, so it could be feeding the radiator warmish air.

I don't see any issue other that hitting the fan. I was considering doing it this way too for simplicity reasons. Makes it easy to take the back fan off, and duster is from the inside out.
Instead, i am going to do as recommended, and do intake. I will be cutting a top vent for a fan and have a front intake as well. Hot air rises anyway right? :D

I remember people only seeing a couple degree difference on push/pull, pull, push.

Corsair recommends using the H50 fan as an intake, but given that the HAF X is already setup with a 240mm in and 200mm (with 200mm and 140mm exhaust), I figured I would try and keep my intakes all with dust filters, and run the H50 as an exhaust, and the last minute I figured I could mount the 140mm externally and do a push pull. Causing a bit of an issue since the door won't quite fit back on (the 140 is too close to the outer edge, should be able to dremel the shroud down a little to get it to close.

334qaux.jpg

Seems to be doing the trick, CPU has been from 27 to 35 depending on load with the door mostly on (lower thumbscrew is in, top held by tape for the moment).

Any concerns running it this way, other than the obvious risk of unwittingly sticking my hand into the exposed fan blades while I plug something in? GTX 460 has the reference cooler, so it could be feeding the radiator warmish air.
The radiator is so thin im not sure you need a full push pull setup unless its very restrictive to airflow... Also a tidbit to remember is when trying to keep dust down the case should have positive pressure to blow dust out of the cracks (just be sure to use filters on the intakes)... My experience so far is that if there are few places for air to exit the positive pressure can be enough to ventilate radiators but pulling fans can help aid the flow.....

As for the blades of doom, might i suggest getting a fan grill.... they go for cheap on the usual parts sites, and a little chrome wire grill can look quite nice in contrast to a black case... :D

Give your radiator fresh air no matter what. You bought that setup for performance, why hinder it with warm air. That's basically the one advantage your setup has over a giant air cooler.

There's nothing wrong with a positive pressure setup in your case. It helps to keep dust off of most of your components anyway.

Last edited:
Give your radiator fresh air no matter what. You bought that setup for performance, why hinder it with warm air. That's basically the one advantage your setup has over a giant air cooler.

There's nothing wrong with a positive pressure setup in your case. It helps to keep dust off of most of your components anyway.

There isn't going to be much warm air inside the case. On the other hand, if the computer is in a slightly confined space, the radiator would get warm air from the PSU and GPU exhaust. Either way, it doesn't make a huge difference in the end. And traditionally, real watercooling setups have always had radiators at the top and back of cases blowing air out of the case. Only when Corsair came on the scene was the recommendation to use it as intake became widespread.

Back