H50 on lga2011 compatability

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all.
I am swapping my socket 1366 i7-970 with a socket 2011 i7-3930k.
I would like to continue using my h50 because it really has been outstanding for me. I have been having trouble finding a definitive answer regarding its compatibilty with intel's latest socket.
Does anyone here have any experience with this? I will be using an asus p9x79 deluxe.
Any advice is appreciated :-D

The H50 works great on my 970. idles at 35-40C and maxes at less than 70C. Summer time here without the A/C on much.

Thanks for finding that link!
Odd thing is I swear that is the exact 1366 bracket it came with??
I wont have my processor for another week so I will just wait and see what people say and if it doesn't look good I will order that.

Thanks for the response. :-D

Just zip tie the screw bracket to the motherboard holes, thats what i did! holdes even better i think

LGA2011 uses the same hole pattern as LGA1366 but rather than having plain holes it has a backplate integrated into the socket assembly.

My understanding is you can fit most 1366 coolers that use a "screw to backplate" mounting approach to a LGA2011 board by leaving out the backplate that came with the cooler and possibly using different screws (IIRC LGA2011 requires M4 screws).

Anyone have experience with this combo so I know what to expect when my processor arrives next week?

Anyone have experience with this combo so I know what to expect when my processor arrives next week?

Dark12, You can look at my sig but I had an NH-D14 on my 3930k with a small cpu multiplier bump to 42 for 4.2MHz, I took it out & tried an H80 which runs "hotter" than the D14. I don't know if the smaller H50 rad will be able to handle the hotter 3930k for you. Just my experience with something similar. Also the mobo holes for the 2011 are in the same place as the1366 mobo holes, except Intel basically put a backplate with pre threaded holes on their 2011 cpu mounting bracket. Asus has XSocket for their mobos which gives you a wrench to remove the backplate & reuse your 1366 hardware. Check out the Asus web site for more info on Xsocket mobos. Or get screws to use the Intel backplate. As for me I'm thinking of putting my D14 back on & tossing this over-rated H80.

Last edited:
Back