• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

H2O Begginer - Assistance requested

CricketCorpse

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
66
Here is the "problem" followed by the details. I humble my self before the masses, I need reassurance, and/or assistance. This is my first attempt at a case-mod/watercooling.

Running AMD64 (754) on a MSI Neo Plat I had been getting about 32C idle 54 load stock cooling (temporary case w/ only one fan). With water cooling installed(in lian-li v1000), I am getting about the same, only my ceiling seems to be 51C now.

For the details

MCP350 pump
PolarFloTT CPU block
PolarFloTT GPU block
120mm Heatercore
DIY reservoir
120mm fan (stock from lian-li v1000) w/ shroud in pull config
120mm fan mounted in front of rad, but not directly or attached
ClearFlex 60 3/8" ID
Distilled H2O (I had a bit of water wetter in the loop, but it caused massive 'bubbling' in my reservior, so I flushed most of it out)

MSI Neo Plat.
AMD64 3000+ 754
KingMax 512Mb PC4000
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256Mb
WD 160Gb SATA
Maxtor 120Gb EIDE
Coolmax Taurus 550W PSU

At first I figured I had put too much arctic silver 3 on my CPU. While aware of the problem involved with removing any heat sink from the "new" flat-top procs, I still managed to pull my processor from its socket. Luckily, no damage. I removed all the arctic silver from the proc and block. As a temporary test I re-mounted the block w/o any AS3, exact same temperatures.

I haven't soft-modded my 9800pro to an XT yet, so no temperature readings there. Replaced my northbridge stock cooling with a zalman heatsink, somehow my NB temps have gone up, to about 43C. I actually placed an external thermistor on the heatsink and read ~40C, so I know the heat is being transferred to the sink, but that's another issue.

Wondering whether or not the radiator was doing it's job; I put a temperature probe in ambient (25.4C), and then in the air being pulled out of the radiator (30.5C). As the fan felt like it might not be powerful enough, I did some looking and found that they are supposed to be ~72CFM. I had planned on getting some Panaflos eventually, this makes me wonder whether that is the problem or not. It is mentioned in the aforementioned link/review that they are "low pressure". I have no real idea what "good pressure" fans would be rated at. I also don't know what to expect in regards to airflow out of a radiator. A "feel" test left me with the impression that not much air is being pulled throught the radiator.

I realize that MSI's boards aren't known for their accurate temperature ratings, but since the same diode with the same software is reporting virutally the same temperature on my newly installed h2o system, I know I have a problem.

Any suggestions? Are the stock fans just not good enough, and would good fans make up for that large of a temperature spike? Any details I left out that would help? Assistance is greatly appreciated.
 
try reapplying arctic silver 5 also it takes a while to set and get the normal temps if you just applied it.
 
The AS3 had been seated for about 24hrs. AS's website says it takes between 50-200 hours to completely set, but that shouldn't make a 8-10 degree difference, should it?. I'll put on thin coat when I get home and try it out.

In regards to the pressure, I learned a bit on that. I just realized that the stock fans are only 25mm thick, versus the 38 of the "better known" fans. I'll head over to Directron and grab a Panaflo H1A. It should have over double the pressure and increased flow.

Might also go ahead and OC my 9800 so I can see if it is getting cooled at all
 
It sounds like you are pushing the limits of your single 120mm heatercore :(. I am currently having the same problem with my internal single 120.

I used to have a dual 120mm heatercore external setup, and my temps were consistently 8-10C lower.

I plan on going back to an external setup this summer, see thread if interested.
 
I saw your thread and was delaying posting until I had tried a few things.

I put a thin-as-possible layer of AS3 back on my cpu. I've been running prime95 on torture "In-place large FFTs" for about half an hour and 47C has been my max.

I'm going to get the panaflo tomorrow during my lunch break, but might not have it installed until this weekend. I'll make sure I post after the results.

I was afraid I was too (reaching the limit), but i've seen too many people running single rad, two blocks and are getting much better temps. My case design doesn't leave enough room for another internal, and i was trying to avoid external as my case needs to travel. I've seen a few ppl mount a BIX on the back of the v1000, but that's a major addition...
 
I noticed one thing that concerns me about your setup.... when you said that you are running distilled water and used to have water-wetter in it... My question is, what do you have as an additive now? cause if you dont have anything your gonna run inot some major corrosion problems and getting low temps is the least of your worries.
 
As the water wetter I got didn't have instructions, I remember stumbling on a thread where someone said a cap full would work.

That left me with about .5" of foam on top of my res and loads of bubbles.

I didn't wan't to have to completely drain the system, so I would dump the res, fill with water, run for a bit, repeat.

I did this until I had a manageable amount of bubbles. There may still be some in there. Do all additives (antifreeze, zerex, etc) cause bubbling?

I don't really have a good estimate of how much volume is in my system, would a few drops do it?
 
Res with diluted solution


Res after 5 drops of water wetter and about 5 minutes



The only reason this bothered me is that the bubbles get so close to the output, that some [bubbles] get sucked into the pump. However, after about an hour, my max temp has been 44C. If there's some air in my rad, it's not hurting the temps :) Thanks for that Punx_Clever

work left to be done
 
well, I'm using anti-freeze (aprox 10%) and I get zero bubbles. so you might try that one of these days.

As far as putting a capfull in your system.... I think what they meant was that you needed a capfull of waterwetter per galon of water. IE: put it into the galon and then fill your system
 
Back
Top