H220X on order, want to expand system questions

psyclist

Gawd
Hey Guys,

So ive been running an H100/H100i for a couple years now, looking to step-up the cooling to the new swiftech unit. I have my 4930K overclocked and the GPU's as well. One is running on a Dwood/Antec620 AIO, the other is currently air cooled (GB windforce) Im looking to add to the H220X and am thinking a single 140 thick rad would give me the added cooling capacity I need, what do you guys think?

My Chassis is a Corsair 760T (love the case) so a fair number of options for mounting. After mounting the 240 up top I will have 2 140 spots left open one at the top front, and rear exhaust. I am thinking of adding the extra rad in front of the 240 rad just to keep the heat going upwards and keeping my 2 front 140's and bottom 120 for intake.

What do the water cooling gods think of this setup? I have good fans, 2xAP14's and 2xAP29's and will have the swiftech Helix Fans as well so a good mix of speeds. Other option, can I go with a thick 120 rad instead? Just to use my nice fans and not have to buy more. how much cooling capacity is lost between the two?

Haha, sorry for all the questions, just trying to look before I leap

Thanks!

So your taking the H100 and the Antec 620 off, and moving to a single 140x140 radiator ?

Maybe im reading wrong, can you be a bit more specific on whats used on what atm, and what you plan to use on what with the upgrade?

Sorry to be more clear, I am taking the H100i out, but want to keep the Antec620 AIO setup on my first 290X. I want to expand the H220X loop to the second 290X and am wondering if a 120/140 thick rad will work. So it would be a 240 rad + the 120/140 mounted somewhere

I have space at the front intake for a 240 but am trying to keep that as a cool intake

Ok to specify now:

Rad space for your 290x + CPU Your going to want a 240 radiator (This is 240mm x 120mm, size of 2x 120mm fans basically) at a minimum. Going that small you will want a thicker radiator like a AlphaCool UT60.

I should caution you, if the 220x is anything like the last pump on block design from swiftech, your going to have a bad day, especially when pushing for something other than CPU -> Res -> Rad ....

Well the H220X is 240 already, and was going to add a 120 or 140 thick rad to be able to handle the CPU and 290X. The new pump is apparently stronger than the H220 and is mounted to the Rad/Res.

My thinking behind this is the Antec 620 with its tiny little rad cools the one 290X great, so adding the second 120/140 should be fine to maintain cooling capacity. But as ive never done this before just wondering what you guys thought?

I cool CPU+ 2x 290X's on 3x120 + 1x140. I suspect you'll be just fine with CPU + 1x290X on the 2x120 + 1x 120/140

AHh I mis-read your post. I thought you were saying a single 120 only.....

Yes adding a 120x1 will be a good idea, and should be fine. If you have room and budget add a 120x2.

The issue with previous switech "AIO" modular loops was the pump leaked, but that was more the Appoge (I think?? That was the pump on block) ....

It comes down to preference, personally I prefer a seperate parts, rather than integrating a pump somewhere.

Yeah a full loop would be the best way to go, but for the price of it, the new H220X gives you a good base to start from and has enough power to add one or two things to it. Now just need to find a decent 120/140 rad.

The swiftech MCW82, is it an ok option for the GPU? I know its GPU only, but they can be picked up cheap. and then add heatsinks on everything Or should I bite the bullet and buy a full coverage block?

If your card has one available, I would always recommend a full coverage block. Otherwise I don't really see much point since you're going to want/need a fan blowing on the heatsinks for the VRM's anyway

I am not sure if the swifttech r9 290x block cools vrms properly I thought I saw vrm temps very bhigh compared to other blocks in a review, but maybe I was mistaken and it was another block.I think in the future I will buy a 240 rad and 2 gpu blocks mebbe in a yr

The block I was speaking about the MCW82 is a GPU only block, but they are also only $30, So my thought was to rig up a fan mount and have a low speed fan blowing over the VRM's/Mem heatsinks. But maybe Ill just bite the bullet and get a full block

If your going to go the universal block mount, get some copper HS's to pop on the VRM/Ram then the fan will be sufficient

H220X is on its way! Is there a reason to go with a full coverage block as opposed to the $30 MCW82 universal Core block and some VRM sinks? I understand it looks cleaner and is simpler but the price difference between the two is $80-100.

I also have a line on a ek Coolstream XTX 120(64mm) for $25. With that rad, and the H220X rad do you think it would give me enough cooling capacity for my 4930K and 290X? I just didnt want to use the front two intakes for another 240 because it seemed counter intuitive to bathe the system in already warmed air, So leaving that out, I have 3 120/140mm spots available. What do you guys think? Noob at water here

Back