H20-Apex Kit Questions

Hexus0

Gawd
Hey everyone, well I was going to go with a DD setup for my rig, but the D5 hasn't came back in stock for about 3 weeks, and I'm dieing to get watercooling in my rig already, and I've heard a lot about this kit as well as the Storm block. I just have a couple of questions about this kit. I want to cool my GPU in my loop, and the kit uses a 7/16" tubing, what fittings should i get for my DD Maze 4 GPU Block? (It only comes in 3/8" or 1/2") and what color is the coolant that comes with the kit? (Looking for a blue coolant)

1/2 inch........;)

It's UV green, but you don't have to use it, you can use what ever you like...............:)

All the fittings in the kit are 1/2".

The 7/16" ID tubing just slips over it with a minor amount of effort and grips well. It matches the ID of the fittings closely with the ID of the tubing.

Basically you treat it exactly like you would a 1/2" system.

If you're looking for some blue coolant, get some Pentosin antifreeze. The cheapest I've found it is $9.50 for 1.5 liters here

SpoogeMonkey said:
If you're looking for some blue coolant, get some Pentosin antifreeze. The cheapest I've found it is $9.50 for 1.5 liters here

THANK GOD! i have been searchin for so long all over. hating on the green hydrx! didnt want to have ot buy black tubing! thanks man (whre were you the other 5 or so times ive asked about pentosin and blue NON-necessarily UV collants?)

wow :eek: great find! im thinking of getting the apex myself, blue would work out much better than green in my setup. my question is this tho - what benefits of the hydrx would be lost by using the pentosin instead? What else could be added to make up for it? (if there is, in fact, any pros lost)

Well I don't know how good that anti-freeze is, but from the other post on coolants, I found that the CoolerMaster Coolant is a blue color, its anti-algae, and anti-corrosion, and it's not too expensive either...

About the GPU block, I was wondering if I should wait it out for that Storm GPU block that's supposeably comming out soon, does anyone know how much its going to cost? or if its even worth it to wait it out? Should I just go with a Maze4 instead? Also where would I be able to find more 7/16" tubing?

if you got time to wait then wait....In theory it should be soon that swifty gets it out.

Thanks for the responses, I'm looking for a place to purchase the kit from. I checked FrozenCPU but they want $20 for shipping, while the swiftech store only wants $7 but they charge CA tax, and thats around $30, CrazyPC won't give me a price for shipping without having to check out, and I've ran out of stores too look for....

Hexus0 said:
Well I don't know how good that anti-freeze is, but from the other post on coolants, I found that the CoolerMaster Coolant is a blue color, its anti-algae, and anti-corrosion, and it's not too expensive either...
Pentosin is the recommended antifreeze for Audi/Volkswagen....maybe porsche since VW owns them too. If it's good enough for your car, it's good enough for your computer......anti-fungal/rust additives are in antifreeze already. And the contents of the hydrx
simply says "Ethylene Glycol".

Hexus0 said:
Thanks for the responses, I'm looking for a place to purchase the kit from. I checked FrozenCPU but they want $20 for shipping, while the swiftech store only wants $7 but they charge CA tax, and thats around $30, CrazyPC won't give me a price for shipping without having to check out, and I've ran out of stores too look for....

Your best bet is either FrozenCPU or Crazypc, as jabtech is sold out also. Swiftech won't have any for resell until possibly the 1-2 week of September. (I spoke w/Michelle @ swiftech and discussed this, she cancelled my order and directed me to Jab-tech). So if you want want now, pay the extra $6 shipping, or be prepared to wait a couple months as these are going quick.

Alright, well it came down to this, the D5 pump is back in stock, and I'm a little unsure of what I'm going to order...

All DD Setup would be:
-TDX
-D5
-Maze4 GPU
-8 Copper Ramsinks
-Black Ice Pro II
-2 x Antec TriCool
-Pentosin Anti-Freeze
-Polyethylene Resoviour
-10 feet of Tygon 1/2" tubing

This is giong to come out to about $320 shipped...

The H20-Apex kit with a Maze4 GPU, Copper Ramsinks, Pentosin Anti-Freeze would come out to about $370 shipped...

So basically its down to, if the Storm GPU is worth the extra $50 over the DD setup? Will I see a big performance difference between the TDX and the Storm? Thanks for the replies thus far everyone, its been very helpful :D

Edit: Question about the anti-freeze, would I have to mix that with distilled water? or just use the anti-freeze alone?

Yes, just mix the anti-freeze with distilled water. I usually go about 10% AF mix to water, wich is in the neighborhood of 3-4oz for a dual 120mm rad.

I'm not sure if this is urban-legend, or if I actually read it @ pro-cooling, but the reason to not go straight AF, is it has a higher viscosity than water. Dunno....makes sense to me, and never had the need for more than a few ounces of anti-creepy crawler juice.

In regards to Storm vs TDX, take this for what you will, but here's an interactive graph:

http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php

If you click on those two blocks, it seems the Storm is continually at least 2 degrees cooler than the TDX. However, those are assuming flow rates are the same between the two systems, which they wont be. The Storm is much more restrictive. However, it should be at least 1.5 degrees cooler.

FYI - i will be putting up a thread in the next day or so for a GROUP ORDER on the H20-Apex kit

i am working to get us a good deal - as i have stated in the original Apex thread... check back in the next day or so and i'll probably have a MOD sticky it.

SpoogeMonkey said:
Pentosin is the recommended antifreeze for Audi/Volkswagen....maybe porsche since VW owns them too. If it's good enough for your car, it's good enough for your computer......anti-fungal/rust additives are in antifreeze already. And the contents of the hydrx
simply says "Ethylene Glycol".

random trivia ... "Ethylene Glycol" is the primary component of coolant fluids, but is also a poison and is very sweet to the taste (does not kill - just sickens in large doses) and sweet to the smell... wine makers in france used to put one drop of it per bottle in their wine before corking if they had a bad grape year (season)... to sweeten it up. :)
(there's my 30K education for you... so useful. lol)

odd question.....do you think this kit would be able to handle the added load of swiftech's mcw50-tfx? link It's not THAT much more expensive than a maze4 (65 vs 45), yet would cool to ambient or sub-ambient. swiftech estimates an additional 115w of heat added to the water loop. That sounds like a lot to me. Sorry if this should be in the extreme forum, but im concerned mainly with the apex's ability to manage this in addition to my cpu (san diego 3700+, prolly at 1.6v) Thanks!

Back