H100 ok for 24/7 use?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
Just got an H100 and so far I really like it. Setup look a lot cleaner and temps are fine as well as noise. My only concern is I run my system 24/7... should I be worried? I can setup a fail safe for temps in the bios.
 
I use mine a lot. Maybe not 24/7, but a lot with no issues.
 
Corsair has a pretty good rma policy from what I've heard. If it springs a leak, I've heard that they buy you all new components.
 
Things that make you go hmmmmmm.... I was thinking about getting an H100 for my new rig. I hadn't even thought about it not being 24/7 dependable. I assumed "it would just be ", considering it's a closed system cooling a CPU.
 
Maybe after 3-5 years the pump would fail and it'll overheat. If you have proper overtemp protections in place, it won't matter. It's kinda like asking if the fan on a HSF will be able to run 24/7. Yes, it'll run 24/7, but it will fail after a set amount of time, and you would need to replace it. Although, replacing a pump is vastly different from replacing a fan.
 
All good points.. in a year or so im sure corsair will have a new kit out and I will switch to it lol.. I am pretty happy with this one and I came into this worried I wouldn't be.
 
I have a COOL IT eco 240 with all 4 fans on it. I have had it for a year now and I dont run my computer 24 hours a day, I do run it about 12 hours a day and on weekends 16 hours a day. No issues at all. Just make sure you AIR clean your system at least every quarter. I have dust filters on my system but you will see dust on the grooves of your radiator.
 
Yeah, I have a datavac which is an electric blower that does a great job of removing dust. I usually blow my system out once every two weeks.. probably will be more often when I get my window.
 
yea keeping things clean and in good working order is all you need to worry about, pump shouldnt have any issues. a buddies H50 has run since it was first released 24/7 still going strong now. so i wouldnt worry about it.
 
personally I am going to be contrarian and say i have no desire for a closed loop water cooling system for a 24/7 computer.


if you have bios set up properly and the air cooling fan fails ...computer shut downs you replace fan and life goes on

with the water cooling if the fans fail ..alright fair enough ... about the same as above

but if it springs a leak or the pump eats crap in such a way as to cause catastrophic failure you wind up with the cooling liquid sprayed all over the god d*mn place regardless of bios safety shutdown settings.

These things have been around awhile but not so long that we have a excellent idea of how long they will last past the warranty the tubing is clearly going to age as will the pumps and I am wondering about how many failures we will hear about as more and more of these units go past their warranty periods.

but that is just my preferences / considerations on the issue... others may (and possibly will) chime in saying "atarione is a j***a** don't listen to him" and that is fine and all, but the fact remains the water cooling loop especially running unattended has some potential for catastrophic failure that air coolers just don't have.
 
I can't see why not, 24/7 use is fairly common, why would they release a product that can't do this?
 
Even if it failed your CPU would shut itself off once it hit its thermal threshold. The Corsair Link management system probably has a "Power Off on Failure" feature. My H100 has been great.
 
Yeah, this thing has been great so far. Ill run it 24/7 I have thermal shutdown at 88C using coretemp. I can't seem to find a thermal shutdown in the P8P67 Pro bios.. maybe im looking in the wrong spot.

Some pics of my new toy..

DSCF2676.jpg


DSCF2675-Copy.jpg


DSCF2678.jpg


DSCF2677.jpg
 
I personally wouldn't leave a water cooled system on 24/7, just because a pump is expensive to replace, and they only have so many hours. If it's air cooling, all you have to replace is a $10 fan, not the case with water cooling. If you do decide to run it 24/7, just make sure you have the over temp shutdown set to a reasonable level so you don't burn up the processor. Ask me how I know ;)
 
I personally wouldn't leave a water cooled system on 24/7, just because a pump is expensive to replace, and they only have so many hours. If it's air cooling, all you have to replace is a $10 fan, not the case with water cooling. If you do decide to run it 24/7, just make sure you have the over temp shutdown set to a reasonable level so you don't burn up the processor. Ask me how I know ;)

Well with this setup you don't replace the pump you replace the whole thing which will be under warranty anyways. I have coretemp setup to shutdown at 88C right now so all should be fine.
 
personally I am going to be contrarian and say i have no desire for a closed loop water cooling system for a 24/7 computer.

Its not like using the system 24/7 is going to make it much more likely to leak though. On the off chance that something corrodes or springs a leak while running, the same thing would have happened it just sitting there. The moving fluid in a closed loop isn't pressurized.
 
. If you do decide to run it 24/7, just make sure you have the over temp shutdown set to a reasonable level so you don't burn up the processor. Ask me how I know ;)

All modern Intel processors will shut themselves down at a certain heat point...regardless of what the pump is doing.

Having said that, I've ran my h70 24/7 for over a year now without issues, and I've just put an h100 into my new build, and will run it 24/7 until I build something else. You'll be fine, OP.
 
yea keeping things clean and in good working order is all you need to worry about, pump shouldnt have any issues. a buddies H50 has run since it was first released 24/7 still going strong now. so i wouldnt worry about it.

this

friend of mine using H80 though, I believe it has been around a year until now and he NEVER turn off his PC, so I think no worry here, IMHO :)
 
Back
Top