H100 Mounting advice

psyclist

Gawd
Hey guys,

Just bought an H100 to replace my trusty TRUE120, I mounted it once and was giving me temps up to 80 degrees. And after reading the reviews here it should be closer to 65... So i proceeded to remount and discovered that I had the backplate on sideways, so I corrected that error and then remounted using MX-2 tightening down in the order which corsair says to, the star or X pattern or what ever youd like to call it. The TIM was applied using the slightly larger than a grain of rice method, and I tightened down incrementally on all corners to try and keep even pressure as it tightened...temperatures are still hitting 80.

Do you guys have any input? should each screw be tightened down by hand on each corner in the X pattern? or do it incrementally like I was doing?

Pump is connected to the molex, and fans (AP-14's) are being run 100% off a fan splitter of the CPU header.

Im feeling defeated here, as ive mounted lots of heatsinks before and usually no need to remount, is it a problem with the unit perhaps? Any healp would be apprciated because at this point my TRUE120 is performing on par with the H100.

Thanks in advance!

Is this on the 2500k? Do you hear any liquid moving when you power the machine on?

Remount it, make sure that the pump/block is making proper contact with the cpu. look to see that there are no spacers in the backplate, and reapply the thermal compound. I have the same cooler in my server running 24/7 and my temps stay around 50c ish.

Sorry need to update my sig, 2600k at 4.7 with HT on, sitting at 1.38v at the moment...reading the review here, these temps are way to high and should be closer to the 60 mark.

I hear some movement in the pump, when things start up and then its silent, cant feel any vibration out of the pump, but that probably normal.

Yeah im going to try once more tonight, ive never had troubles mounting before, but this thing has me stumped so far. Again how do people tighten the screws down, one at a time till finger tight in the X pattern or incrementally in the X pattern?

Before remounting with new TIM try this. Clean the CPU and the block and put two strips of paper in between, making a cross. Tighten screws as you have been doing, then try to remove each paper strip. That will tell you if you have any issues with the backplate spacing / positioning.

Well the backplate is centered on the socket, I tried reseating it once more and came up with the same results. I think the biatch is gettin RMA'd

TBH with your setup 2600k @ 4.7 running 1.38v the temps were seeing are to be expected with this cooler. its not a miracle worker and you are asking a lot from this LCLC (LowCost LiquidCooling) solution. If you want better temps do a push pull setup with your fans. For comparison my 2600k avg 44c in a 80f room with consistent loop temp of 31c This is running a custom 120 + 140 + zalman reserator XT + 2nd pump and 6870 block to boot. Not the most desirable setup, however it serves one major need for me...and that is to be deathly quiet.

A better solution would be to sell it and get a decent WC loop. This XSPC Rasa kit will outperform that h100 in every way.

Id have to disagree, the temps should be closer to 55 degrees, Anand tested this exact setup 2600k @4.8/1.4v HT on with MX-2 and temps came in between 48-54 depending on fan speed. Im running AP-14's so id expect to be on the higher end of that spectrum, but at 80 degrees thats the same as my 6 year old TRUE120... Yes the Rasa is better but also twice the price i paid...maybe one day...but not right now...for now i just want this damn thing working as it should

Did you try my suggestion with the paper strips?

Sorry no I didnt, ive never heard of that used before and depending which corner wasnt clamping down using the x pattern might not still show that plus the bolts are right there so how would you try and move the paper after all mounted? I submitted an advanced RMA request last night...sick of screwing around with this thing. At least I know now its not builder error, something is wrong with the unit.

how would you try and move the paper after all mounted?

The point is to have 4 strips of paper sticking out of each side under the block. If you can rip any of them out you'll see which edge of the block isn't seated flush to the CPU.

Back