[H] PC Club Enpower Fuzion 4 Evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morley said:
The first graph is AFTER the upgrades.
You might want to change the graph title then, as it's a bit misleading this way. Especially since many people will just look at the graph without reading the text, and the first time the upgrades are mentioned on that page is several paragraphs later.

Bedlam said:
Yes, I've been to PC Club HQ and LAID...I didnt post the whole dns lookup because I didnt want to spam the forums...if you look many of the same names are on both lists..what really funny to me that you are trying to cover it up when they should just let people know the truth.

Honga Wei is listed as a contact on both of them..lots of other names I'm sure you would recognize too if you would take the 5 minutes to look it up..anyway..its a PC Club review..cool..just should have been noted (in my opinion) that ClubIT and PC Club are the same..as such, mentioned that they are a sponsor of H|OCP. I didnt not see any bias in the article however..thats why I keep reading the OCP...Kyle likes to call 'em like he sees 'em. :)

I will reiterate..PCC and ClubIT are NOT THE SAME.

Two companies may share space, distro, even corporate officers, and still not be the same company. I am making no attempt to hide anything, and it is interesting that you chose to think that I am; an insight into your own mindset. I was making a point.

Bring a ClubIT part to PCC for warranty and I will turn you away, just as if you had bought it at Fry's.

A well rounded review. Personally, I'd have knocked them slightly harder for the software setup (restore CD wasn't really a restore CD, and didn't have SP2 preinstalled, after all, it doesn't take much to slipstream SP2 into XP), but everything else seems on point.

I'd really like you to evaluate the Power Supply, please, over a period of the next few weeks. I have found that companies that put together systems like this tend to skip on these bits.

ScHpAnKy said:
I'd really like you to evaluate the Power Supply, please, over a period of the next few weeks. I have found that companies that put together systems like this tend to skip on these bits.
The fact that it worked through 4 weeks of intensive abuse including stressing all components at the same time is a testament to the capabilities to the PSU that they included.

Morley said:
The fact that it worked through 4 weeks of intensive abuse including stressing all components at the same time is a testament to the capabilities to the PSU that they included.

Every failed power supply that I have had has failed at, or about, the third month, so to me 4 weeks doesn't show me much of anything, but then... that's just me.

ScHpAnKy said:
Every failed power supply that I have had has failed at, or about, the third month, so to me 4 weeks doesn't show me much of anything, but then... that's just me.
That is why we put the computer through an accelerated battery of tests that effectively increases use exponentially than it would go through with normal use. Most people do not use Prime95, IOMeter, and 3D Mark 2001 to simulate prolonged use over a long period of time.

However, we are always looking for ways to make our evaluations better. I appreciate your feedback and will keep it in mind. Please also know that there is a limited time that we have with these systems.

And really, a PSU is possibly the cheapest component of the computer to replace if it fails. Only fans are generally less costly.

As Morley said, though, time is a factor. We'd love to sit on these systems and put them through the ringer for 6 months, but there are too many limiting factors. Our goal is to give you a wide spectrum of systems in a short amount of time so that this program can start to benefit the readership as quickly as possible.

DNA Doc said:
And really, a PSU is possibly the cheapest component of the computer to replace if it fails. Only fans are generally less costly.

Depends on what it takes with it ;)

The real difference is OEM's have EE's on hand that have all of the neccesary information (derating curves, crossload profile, etc) in order to match a PSU to a specific configuration much more closely and cost effectively than we enthusiasts do. PSU's in OEM systems are generally in my experience decent enough to get the job done as the system ships. Although they are nothing special and a proper power regulation scheme should lways be employed.

ScHpAnKy said:

We've been selling these since August, and power supply failure is not an issue we've seen. The only problems I've seen on them really are the DIMMs getting a little loose (once reseated they are fine, someone at HQ must have been sleeping) and software problems, i.e. user error.

DNA Doc said:

OK, so I've gotten like 6 PM's because of this statement. Let me clarify. This was not a definitive declaration that the power supply is the cheapest part to replace, of all of the crappy parts and good power supplies in the world.

I know that there are exceptions. I was just trying to make the point that it's not worth the time and effort to test something for 3-6 months to get a $25-80 component to fail when there are $80-800 components in the machine that people would be much more interested in. We push these things as much as we can for as long as we can. If they can stand up to our abuse, then chances are, they can put up with anything that John Q. Public will throw at it.

I didn't mean to encite a debate on what part is cheaper than another. I'm sorry for any misleading or confusion that took place.

Maybe in future reviews you should list the power ratings on the power supplies? That way people will know if they have room to grow with that power supply or if they add a hard drive they'll have to chang the power supply.

Keep in mind that a good name brand power supply costs twice as much as no name cheap cases.

evenglow said:
Maybe in future reviews you should list the power ratings on the power supplies? That way people will know if they have room to grow with that power supply or if they add a hard drive they'll have to chang the power supply.

This is actually something that we've been chewing on. It came up in a conversation we were having about an El Crappo PSU that came in a machine we just received for evaluation. We'll get back to you on this.

I've been to the store in Orem, UT (just graduated from BYU), and I have to say I got a very favorable impression of the expertise of the staff. I do have one question (if any of the PCClub people are in a position to answer): Last year, I built a computer for a family member, and bought a uATX case from PCC. CasEdge, came with a decent PSU and two 80mm fans. Good build quality and features. All for $30 out the door. One of the reps at the store said that the case was one of the most popular they were selling.

Then why, oh, why, did you stop selling them? :(

Back to the review--very well-done. Good to see other companies (who don't get the ridiculous Dell-MS-Intel discounts) selling decent low-end computers for a good price.

Mohonri said:
Then why, oh, why, did you stop selling them? :(

The thing is, something might be fairly popular, but things that are popular often get discontinued by the manufacturer(s) left-and-right for whatever reason. Very common with cases and a lot of USB peripherals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back