[H]ott Dell Raptors $134.25

GIGANTOID

Limp Gawd
Dell Small Business has 25% off storage with code KPW79M$LM2PF24

Which means you can get the WD800GD 80GB Raptor Regularly $179 for $134.25

Western Digital Info

Note: Dell has the same drive at many different price points for different systems but should be the same drive for all. Can't imagine why they would be different physically.

Note 2: Unclear about warranty info, will update if confirmed length found.

Note 3: Tech Specs...
Depth: 5.79"
Height: 1.03"
Weight: 1.6 lbs ± 0.1 lbs
Width: 4" ± 0.01"
Average Latency: 2.99 ms (nominal)
Average Seek Time: Read: 4.5 ms
Bytes per Sector: 512
Cache / Buffer Size: 8 MB
Data Transfer Rate: Up to 1200 MBps (Buffer to Host)
Device Type: Hard Drive
Dimensions (WxDxH): 4" ± 0.01" x 5.79" x 1.03"
Dimensions (WxDxH) / Weight: 4" ± 0.01" x 5.79" x 1.03" / 1.6 lbs ± 0.1 lbs
Environmental Parameters: Temperature:- Operating: 41°F to 131°F, Non-operating: -40°F to 149°F; Humidity:- Operating: 5 to 95% RH (non-condensing), Non-operating: 5 to 95% RH (non-condensing)
Formatted Capacity: 80,000 MB
Interface Type: ESATA
Max Operating Temperature: 131°F
Min Operating Temperature: 41°F
Spindle Speed: 10,000 RPM
Track-to-Track Seek Time: 0.6 ms (average)
Type: Hard Drive
Humidity Range Operating: 5% to 95% RH (non-condensing)
Shock Tolerance Operating / Non-Operatin: 65 Gs@2 ms / 250 Gs@2 ms
Start / Stop Cycles: 20,000 (minimum)
Shock Tolerance: Operating: 65 Gs@2 ms, Non-operating: 250 Gs@2 ms

I was unaware that 80GB Raptors even existed. A word of caution - I wouldn't be surprised if these drives had no warranty from Western Digital and a shorter than 5 year warranty from Dell. Caveat emptor.

EDIT: This really makes me nervous:
Supported by Dell™ Technical Support when used with a Dell™ system

That's just for tech support. Warranty is still 5 years through WD when purchased from Dell.

And yes, that's an awesome deal.

I bit...I'll let you know what I get in the box.

Man my gf is going to kill me this time for sure. I need to sell some more parts...

siliconcenturion said:
whats the difference between this and the 74gb raptor (wd740gd)
From DSS earlier today, taken from WD's official data:
DougLite said:
Says it is available only to a few OEMs. I doubt you will ever see this in the retail channel.

However, the drive has obviously been rezoned in the new capacity, which can have a huge impact on transfer rates and a somewhat smaller impact on overall application performance. It would be interesting to see an HD Tach comparison of WD800GD and WD740GD in the same system.

If I had to guess a reason for WD bringing this drive to market, it would be to make the Raptor look better in OEM catalogs. 80GB sounds better than 74GB when shopping for drives, and it will command a higher price.

They are indeed different drives, and the WD800GD is indeed larger:
WD740GD & WD800GD
Code:
WD740GD      WD800GD
74,356 MB    80,000 MB Formatted capacity
145,226,112  156,250,000 Used sectors
816 MB/s     816 MB/s buffer to disk transfer rate maximum
This 80GB unit is indeed larger than the 74GB, although they have the same seek performance specs.

Thanks for that info Douglite.

It's so weird that they sell this same drive for $179, $200, $240 and $349.

Has anyone confirmed the 5 year warranty?

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp
No limited warranty is provided by WD unless your WD Product ("Product") was purchased from an authorized distributor or authorized reseller. ... If your Product was purchased as a component integrated within a system by a system manufacturer, no limited warranty is provided by WD. Please contact the place of purchase or the system manufacturer directly for warranty service.

I have a healthy suspicion of the warranty on these drives. Please contact WD and Dell support before moving on this deal.

They could have changed it but when I got my 120GB Dell labeled drive from Dell WD didn't warrent it Dell did. It probably has a 1 year warrenty through Dell. For the price with no rebates I'd get one if I hadn't just got a 74GB Raptor.

I bought my raptor i'm running on right now from Dell. Has the WD label and serial number like any other raptor.

DougLite said:
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

I have a healthy suspicion of the warranty on these drives. Please contact WD and Dell support before moving on this deal.

Personally, a warranty on a drive is the last thing I look for. If the thing fails, I am going to be pissed about the loss of my data, not the $100 it will take to replace it.

NulloModo said:
Personally, a warranty on a drive is the last thing I look for. If the thing fails, I am going to be pissed about the loss of my data, not the $100 it will take to replace it.

So you would rather a double loss, your data and $100? :p

pigpen said:
I bought my raptor i'm running on right now from Dell. Has the WD label and serial number like any other raptor.
However, WD keeps track of what serial numbers get shipped to who, so they'll know it's a Dell drive. In many cases like this, the maker says talk to your OEM, and the OEM will ask you which of their products you have installed it in, and at that juncture you're out of luck.

I bought a Dell server a while back... it's uh... it's in there!

Shipped same day (though technically still "in transit to local carrier")

I havent seen the 74gb lower than the current pricing in the past 3 months. I've been looking daily.

Yeah... I haven't been quite as diligent, but the best I saw was around $150 after rebates. This is lower and NO REBATES. WooOo!

Has anyone confirmed the warranty situation?

EDIT: I just noticed now you don't need a coupon - the discount is applied throughout that section of the site!

I am ordering 2 today, I also thought you could check your warranty on WD site with just a serial # to see how long it was.

I just called Dell and they offer NO warranty period for any drives not used in Dell branded systems.

According to the Western Digital site there is a warranty for WD branded drives.. The key being WD Branded. If they come with the Dell label then buyer==screwed. All of the ones I've seen have Western Digital labeling on it.

Looks like a problem after all, they are WD branded, but here's what I got from the warranty checker website:

Code:
Serial No  	Model No  	Status  	Exp Date
WM******* 	WD740GD-50FLC0 	Out of Region 	Not Applicable

Number of drives eligible for Replacement:	0
Number of drives ineligible for Replacement:	1

However, all is not neccessarily lost as the model number reported is incorrect.
The model on the drive is WD800GD-75FLC3
A call to WD might be in order... but im too lazy.

I hope Im not breaking any rules, but I have a few of these to sell if anyone here is interested. I'm not anxious to sell otherwise I would have posted in the FST forum.

I called Western Digital and they say we should plug our sernum into the website to find out wether its covered. According to my conversation the above post as it says 'Our Of Region' may be because of the location selected. I don't know.

But I can say that depending on what the website says when I get my drive I may send it back. It's not a huge deal but the 5 year warranty is a great selling feature for this class of drive.

Can anybody else confirm whether these have the 5yr warranty or not? I would definitely cancel my order if it doesn't.

No free lunch guys, at least I doubt it. A five year warranty is a continuing cost for the maker, so drives that WD can simply ship to Dell and forget about can be sold at an understandably lower price than drives that they back for a full warranty period.

There is a price on everything, especially in the case of a unique product like the Raptor. WD has obviously been able to keep a tight lid on pricing for the Raptor, as there are no market forces to justify selling it at a lower price.

It looks like neither WD nor Dell will support these drives for most of us, unless you install them in a Dell system. This will be my position on this matter until I see documented proof to the contrary, for what my opinion is worth.

I am not sure warranty exclusion is legal, I would think that the very least you should get is like 30 to 90 days just based on a commercial transaction, that should protect you against DOA.

Other than that, if you want a 5-year warranty, pay the extra $35 for it, no big deal.
Who really needs a 5-year warranty? Look at your current drives and ask youself how old they are. I would guess that computer enthusiasts don't keep their drives for 5 years because there is something bigger, better, faster, more sexy around in a couple years time.

Thuleman said:
I am not sure warranty exclusion is legal, I would think that the very least you should get is like 30 to 90 days just based on a commercial transaction, that should protect you against DOA.

Other than that, if you want a 5-year warranty, pay the extra $35 for it, no big deal.
Who really needs a 5-year warranty? Look at your current drives and ask youself how old they are. I would guess that computer enthusiasts don't keep their drives for 5 years because there is something bigger, better, faster, more sexy around in a couple years time.

I just had 2 seagates die on me.

one of them was a scsi cheetah, so you can imagine my delight when I realized that there was still 6 months of coverage left. The other was a 160gig that had been used in an external box, although that one might have been dropped. (can't be sure.)

love that coverage! Plus, I got both of the rma'ed drives back within 2 weeks.

OK not so tempting unless dell will give you some sort of warranty.

Have any of you purchased 740GD from dell can you check those serials?
Basically I can get the same price on both drives just wondering if the warranty checker works.

They wont. Dells drives have a 1 year warranty through dell I believe. No warranty through WD. This is the reason most people dont buy dell raptors or other oem hd's etc through dell. Good price but, you can find many people on forums selling them for the same that have 4-5 years left. I just bought one last week for $145 shipped manufactured in august. Also, I know a few people currently selling them. One guy has one for $135 shipped that has 4 years left on another forum, if anyone was interested. Also, Know someone else who has 2 for $145 each or $285 for both which have 4 years left as well.

Are these same drives (of course being 80GB instead) as the retail 74GB and 36GB uints? what is ESATA? And why are these so cheap? The retail 74GB version are $199 plus tax in most places.

Cannibal Corpse said:
Are these same drives (of course being 80GB instead) as the retail 74GB and 36GB uints? what is ESATA? And why are these so cheap? The retail 74GB version are $199 plus tax in most places.
1) I don't know if they are the same drive. The folks in DSS have come up with two scenarios. The first is that WD740GD in fact has 40GB platters, but the inner most zones are disabled to improve inner zone transfer performance and match capacity with comparable SCSI drives, while the WD800GD uses all of the space, but concedes that transfer rates on the innermost zones will be slower. The second is that the drives are of entirely different geometry and tranfer performance. The first is more likely.

2) E(nterprise)SATA is WD's marketing title for Raptor drives - they are designed to offer multi user performance that is comparable to 10K SCSI drives (they fall short). This is not to be confused with e(xternal)SATA, which is the the SATA-IO's official standard for external SATA drives.

3) Already answered in DSS:
DougLite said:
WD800GD is only available to select OEMs. It has never been shipped to the retail channel through a WD authorized distributor. The only way to acquire one is from Dell or a similar OEM. Given that WD does not ship this SKU to their channel partners at all, expect warranty and support on WD800GD to be nil to none. WD will simply tell you to talk to your OEM. The OEM will ask you which of their systems you have installed it in, and at that point you will be out of luck unless you have truly installed in an OEM system.

Because WD is free and clear of any warranty and support obligations on WD800GD, they can sell them much cheaper than drives backed by a five year warranty direct from WD. Dell is able to pass those savings on to their customers, but one must compromise elsewhere to save that cash. This is not the first time this has happened - Dell also has Hitachi 7K500s for at least $50 (may have been $80-100, can't remember now) less than any retail channel dealer like ZZF or the Egg, however, the Dell drives ship only with a one year Dell warranty.

I bought a wd1200jb several years ago, and found that WD doesn't cover drives sold through dell. Dell has ambiguous and usually short warranty periods on these things. I wouldn't buy drives from them. Ever.

Well my drive arrived today and according to the WD site it doesnt have a warranty which is really rather lame. I can understand the reasons but there shouldnt be a drive sold wether by WD or Dell without a warranty.

Now I need to decide wether I should send it back or use it to replace my Gen1 36gb Raptor.

Dell still has the 25Z% off coupon and the 76gb raptor is only $150 so I may change to that and pay the difference or just return it alltogether and get another Maxline 300gb.

Didnt you read the rest of this thread. This was covered so many times. No, Drives bought from dell DO NOT have a WD warranty of any kind. They are warranted through dell for 1 year. Which is why I would never buy a drive from dell. You can find people on forums selling new oem raptors with 5years WD warranty for $135-$145 shipped. On ebay as well. Ive bought 2 for this price. No point in paying $135 + tax or whatever the price is, for a dell drive with only 1 year warranty through dell. Maybe just my opinion.

Back