[H]ot: DELL 2407FPW lcd for $800 @ COSTCO.com !!!!

vbrtrmn said:
Nice post, here's my dell monitor spec break-out, if anyone is interested..
http://js.antinoc.net/dellmonitors.html
Thanks for the breakdown on various Dell LCD monitors. Note that the 2405FPW also has a multicard reader, but I don't remember if it's 9-in-2 or something else.

$800 for the 2407 LCD monitor is not a bad price. But I saw it on SlickDeals for < $700 a couple weeks ago (yes, the 2407 and not 2405).

That's almost half a year away though :[

For now if anyone doesn't have the patience to wait those months this deal is definetely hot for the time being.

kohan69 said:
I'm gonna trade my 2405fpw (also from costco for same price 2 months ago!) for this one! :

The 2405 is argueably the better monitor.

The 2407 is faster, and has HDMI inputs, but it is only a 6bit display, where the 2405 is an 8bit dislplay.

I guess it is a matter of if you are getting ghosting on your 2405 or not. Because the 2405 has better image quality, but a slower response time.

==>Lazn

It has been a regular thing for years that price wars start around November. It's Been happening more intensly the past 3-4 years.
Dell has major price cuts at the end of every quarter no matter what.
I'm an IT purechasing expert and I do all the IT purchasing for my corporation and Dell will knock anyone off the wall near december. Most times I can get below cost or at cost with Dell with them making very little from shipping.

Screw the product you need to know the manufacturing plant, Who manages them, what day it was made. Never by prodcts made on a friday if that country gets weekends off. People have their mind on beer and family more than making a pretty icrapod. Training proess for employees,etc,etc,etc... Get down to the nitty gritty of things. All tech companys have one golden apple of a plant and the rest are 3rd world slave labor crap holes. Thats why things are so cheap DUH. Appleee is the latest of companys to face this issue.

So what did you learn..
Hint!
As long as there are 3rd world crap hole plants making products you will have quarterly pricing show downs and cheap ass tech toys on X-Mas...

Lazn_Work said:

The 2407 is faster, and has HDMI inputs, but it is only a 6bit display, where the 2405 is an 8bit dislplay.

I guess it is a matter of if you are getting ghosting on your 2405 or not. Because the 2405 has better image quality, but a slower response time.

==>Lazn

thanx for the heads up, I will but 2407 and compare iw side-by-side with 2405, the 12ms grey-to-grey is still pretty bad! :(

vbrtrm- 9-in-2 multimedia card reader, it's 9-in1, and 2405fpw DOES have it!
nice chart tho! :D

topcat989 said:
link to proof? (ei, not rumor) :confused:

And here I thought the price wars for the x-mas season was a no-brainer. Happens every year in just about every market. (that is x-mas related stuff anyways...no St. Patricks day props this time of year you know) I guess some people are new to shopping arround. LOL

Gilthanis said:
And here I thought the price wars for the x-mas season was a no-brainer. Happens every year in just about every market. (that is x-mas related stuff anyways........

yes, most retailers lower prices/have deals for xmas, however i was reffering to this post:

venm11 said:
Folks, wait until the fall/winter to buy LCDs. Price war's a comin'.

which doesn't seem to imply the usual xmas discounts, but a specific event to take place sometime in the fall or winter. I was just asking for his source of info, becuase this post seems to me to be along the line of a stock tip: "buy this stock now, it'll go through the roof in 3 months!" All i'm asking is, "well, how do you know?"

kohan69 said:
thanx for the heads up, I will but 2407 and compare iw side-by-side with 2405, the 12ms grey-to-grey is still pretty bad! :(

vbrtrm- 9-in-2 multimedia card reader, it's 9-in1, and 2405fpw DOES have it!
nice chart tho! :D

The 12ms g2g isnt that bad. I have one and it will produce alittle ghosting while the pannel is cold, but once its warmed up after alittle while i get no ghosting at all, even in FPS games.

Lazn_Work said:

==>Lazn

you are wrong, the 2407 uses the LTM240M2, which is an 8-bit panel. And no, it does not have HDMI inputs.

I like very saturated colors and deep blacks. I'm also a firm believer that anything less than 16ms is plenty good enough for fps gaming. Also, am I right in believing that HDMI/HDCP is just a DRM'ed, audio-carrying version of DVI?

would a 2405 be better for me? or is 6 bit color good enough? - anyone done a side by side comparison yet?

also to the guy who asks "how do you know?".... how do you know you are going to wake up tomorrow? you don't, but experience and general common sense tells you that you probably will. LCD prices will almost assuredly go down by christmas. Of course, having a buddy that works in the LCD industry, and being a technology analyst for a big investment bank helps me out on that one.

edit... i guess the guy who posted right before me answered my questions....

Good deal, but have been using my HP 24inch LCD for almost a year....I guess I could go dual screen :)

Hi folks... about my earlier assertion that there would be a price war this fall. I'd have to go back and find the actual articles, but basically these are market analysis reports which show the units shipped over the last few years versus the growth in capacity. There is presently overcapacity for LCD panels in general, so prices will continue to fall. PLUS, now one high-capacity fab (at least) in china is opening (chi mei) and will be in full swing late this summer. That will translate to huge overcapacity and result very quickly in a price war.

This will largely affect cheaper panels, because more expensive ones are using much more expensive screen coatings and light sources whose costs are fairly fixed, but the higher dollar value of cheaper models will push down the expensive models too.

Plus you have the usual xmas retail crunch, and moore's law and all that good stuff.

NEODARK said:
you are wrong, the 2407 uses the LTM240M2, which is an 8-bit panel. And no, it does not have HDMI inputs.

Hmm, I was just going on a google search of 2405 vs 2407.. I have not actually taken one apart to verify.

==>Lazn

Now that the 2407 is out, I'm sure AnandTech, TomsHardware, etc. will have at least a couple 2405 vs. 2407 reviews and articles. :)

I do like the newer base better. I wish my 2405 had that style base so that my center speaker could be further tucked underneath the monitor.

Don't count on a pricewar like last year.

Last year's "price war" cost Dell millions and hurt their stock months later when they had lower than projected returns due TO that pricewar. I don't think they want to make the same mistake again.

Also, they probably wanted to clear out alot of the 2005s inventory and 2405 to make way for the 2407s and 3007s.

Will they have Xmas discounts? You bet. Will there be $330 2007s? Doubt it.

Im gonna wait another month or so for the rest of the bugs to get worked out. Then I will snatch the next ~$750-800 deal direct from dell. Dont have a costco membership :(

these prices are tempting.. i've got a 2005fpw and a 15'' lcd for dual display but I'd love to grab a 2405fpw and use the 2005fpw as my secondary monitor..

I'm missing the deal here possibly, when dell sells the 2407 on the site for $807 right now, or have I just cracked out this morning?

Infested said:
I'm missing the deal here possibly, when dell sells the 2407 on the site for $807 right now, or have I just cracked out this morning?

No, its roughly the same price at dell..

The deal here is Costco's return policy. You can pretty much take the monitor back when the next version comes out and they will give you a full refund.

Back