[H]orde Borg Monitoring Website...thingy

marty9876

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2006
Would this be useful, or even possible...?

Take a box and have a website on it. We'll call this [H]orde Borg Monitoring Server.

Have a client program (invisible service) which is installed on the borgs. We'll call this [H]orde Borg Client.

This client sends to the server once an hour:

-the WU the borg is working on
-the percentage the WU's is complete

The client would have a config file, containing the computer name (auto pulls computer name), folding user name. This will allow us to tell which borg is what, and the user name would sort things out on the server.

- User Name
- Borg 1

The server would also track when the last update was received. If an update has not been received in ~6 hours, the server flags this boxen as down. We would need the ability to remove boxen as they change ect.

Could add in basic PPD action, my thinking is this is primarily used for making sure the borgs are all working. If a borg is not working, you have the computer name to help track the sucker down.

Problems:

The client program would need to know where the files are located (different people put files in different places ect.).

People turning off borgs. --- Have server do historical tracking, on day 1 server received 3 records, day 2 none, but on day 3 got 4 records (this means the borg is still working, computer just off on day 2)

Specs:

Client must be 100% stable
Send tiny amount of information (what, 50-100 bytes ain't gonna take much)
Install as a clean service (adds line item to services menu)
Not send first update after system start up for 1 hour
LAN based basically, just don't deal with modem

I think EM3 and alike will do these basic actions, I'm just thinking of an ultra light version invisible to the borge.

Thoughts? Good/No Good? Will help/Will not help? More stats of some type, cool!

If you borged a buddies machine, and no updates for a few days make an excuse to stop by their place... :p

edit: since I'll get yelled at anyways... any use of [H] here is joking. won't label anything [H]

Well my thoughts are that this would really only work on non company boxen. I think some people might get worried if a program is sending info out. Even if it's something as basic as username, boxname, wu, and progress.

Can't EMIII make webpages or something. I've never messed around with it, but have heard of it?

I like the idea. If someone has the servers etc. and want to try writing something. We could atleast give it a shot.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd be willing to help with the server end of it; the client end is gonna take a win32 programmer, and I'm not one. Are you volunteering bandwidth/server for this, or would you suggest we chip in on hosting? RJ and I have a "unlimited" account with host298.com (costs $20 a year) and it seems pretty good, but I haven't put any sizable load on it so I don't know if I'd trust it for this application.

I'd suggest using plain ol' http as the protocol, BTW; nobody in their right mind blocks it, and that's all we need for this. A script that records queries of a certain kind, and a client that makes said queries. I'll see what I can come up with.

I forgot to add, HTTP all the way. No fancy stuff to piss off proxies, just the most basic info dump.

Yea, company borgs are a huge problem. Then again, you just borged the dang boxen and it's dumping data anyways. By far my biggest worry on company borgs is making the thing 1000% stable. If you already have permission to borg them, this is not much worse that I can think of. Then again, it's not written by anyone "offical"

win32 programmer- we got one anyplace...?

edit: hosting- we will put it on the fold server! :D

Back