[H]ord Spotlight - tjmagneto

jfb9301

[H]ard DCOTM February 2016
This month just to catch up with some of our many long time folders, I chose to intereview two people.

The first of the two is tjmagneto

So give a round of thanks to him.

First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?

Visalia, CA

What is your family situation?

Married, 2 sons 22 and 20 years old

What do you do for a living?

Currently I am a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Technologist. I've been lucky to have a few other jobs with the hospital I work at, including management and IT support for radiology. One of my accomplishments was co-ordinating the transition from storing and reading films to digital systems in radiology. I went back to MRI because of the pay and less call.

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

TJ = the first 2 initials, magneto = play on words considering my job

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?

Yes I did. Why? Good Question.

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

I'm involved in Civil War Re-enacting. I belong to a Union Army regiment called the First US Sharpshooters. My current rank is First Sergeant. I also am in charge of the unit newsletter and website. The reason I got involved in reenacting is that I am a history buff and the Civil War era fascinates me. It also gave me an excuse to buy a really cool gun.

Tell us about your involvement in DC.

Folding @ Home

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

I first heard about FAH in a forum over at Overclockers Club. One of their members asked me if I heard of FAH and considered doing it. I checked it out and started folding in March of 2009.

Why do you participate?

The premise behind Folding@Home intrigued me because of my medical and technical background.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

This is really tough for me. Personally it would be Alzheimers as I watched my wife's grandmother go through that horrible downward spiral. Professionally it would most definitely be cancer. In my line of work I encounter a lot of cancer patients. It's a horrible disease which not only affects individulas but their families as well.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

Folding@Home. I've not checked out and other DC projects seriously enough to consider them.

What teams have you contributed to?

Overclockers Club

Why did you choose the Horde?

Just a bunch of fun people who know their stuff.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?
Unfortunately I do not see FAH concluding anytime soon. There are so many diseases that are being investigated in this project

Current level of production and how's it spread around?

Total of 90k ppd for folding@home.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future?

Long term?

at http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

I would hope that the "Average Joe/Jane" folders are not intimidated by the multiple socket monster threads going around. We need more members from all sorts of hardware backgrounds..

Tell us about your involvement.
Where did you begin?

My first sytem was an overclocked i7-920 with 2 GTX 275. I folding smp and GPU with that rig

What are you running today?

980x folding bigadv in VM
L5640 in a 1P system smp
No GPU folding at this time

Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?

Still with folding@home.

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

I currently have no dedicated boxen.

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?

980x dual boot Win 7 home Premium 64-bit/Kubuntu
L5640 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP 1

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

Well the L5640 is supposed to be my wife's computer

Huh? What happened to the Thuban? :(

They aren't worth the electricity they consume to run them, when you are talking about the type of hardware TJ is running. You don't fold with your AMD machine, correct? Why would that be?? :p

EDIT: Before you call me an AMD hater, let it be known that I am folding on AMD hardware almost exclusively at the moment. I have an I7 950 borg, but everything I run from home is AMD.

Huh? What happened to the Thuban? :(

It was kidnapped by a member of a Mexican drug cartel. :eek:

The real story: The motherboard for it got fried and needed to be replaced. In the meantime the L5640 disease hit [H] and I jumped in with the other sharks although i did not buy a SR-2. The new system was installed in the case the Thuban previously occupied. By the time I recieved the replacement motherboard I did not feel compelled to build a new boxen with the Thuban.

Hence I have some stuff I need to sell.

Also: thanks for remembering I own a Thuban.

They aren't worth the electricity they consume to run them, when you are talking about the type of hardware TJ is running. You don't fold with your AMD machine, correct? Why would that be?? :p

EDIT: Before you call me an AMD hater, let it be known that I am folding on AMD hardware almost exclusively at the moment. I have an I7 950 borg, but everything I run from home is AMD.

Nothing wrong with running a thuban for folding, mine pulls 335w from the wall with a 460 in it for ~20k PPD. Thats over 60PPD/w, not brillant but not bad either.

A Thuban doesn't exactly give you the best ppd/watt ratio, but it also isn't bad either. I just remembered that he had one at some point and was complaining about how loud the stock fan could get in his son's hot bedroom. I don't fold on my gaming rig mainly because it isn't worth it for the power draw. This is a pretty fully decked out system that isn't running lean as it has 3 HDD's, 2 5850 video cards, an Auzentech sound card, and a PII [email protected]. That is just a lot of power draw for a system to be using, especially when I have no plans on fold on my GPU's unless Stanford gives us ATI folks something worth folding.

If my folding rig was running a bit leaner on non folding necessary hardware and had a Thuban, you can bet that it would be folding its ass off. I do plan on upgrading my gaming rig to a Zambezi 8 core this winter, so it may get put to folding use then.

It was kidnapped by a member of a Mexican drug cartel. :eek:

The real story: The motherboard for it got fried and needed to be replaced. In the meantime the L5640 disease hit [H] and I jumped in with the other sharks although i did not buy a SR-2. The new system was installed in the case the Thuban previously occupied. By the time I recieved the replacement motherboard I did not feel compelled to build a new boxen with the Thuban.

Hence I have some stuff I need to sell.

Also: thanks for remembering I own a Thuban.

Was that an MSI motherboard that got fried? I think Jebo also had one of those MSI AM3 boards that fried as well. I can't remember, but did you have a 1055T or a 1090T?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte AM2 type board and the processor is a 1055t.

Thanks!

Well damn as I was hoping you had a 1090T. I have been debating on just upgrading my gaming rig with a 1090T or 1100T for the time being, although I probably should just wait for Bulldozer since it is not too far away hopefully.

Well damn as I was hoping you had a 1090T. I have been debating on just upgrading my gaming rig with a 1090T or 1100T for the time being, although I probably should just wait for Bulldozer since it is not too far away hopefully.
Buy my 1055T.......

Buy my 1055T.......

To be honest, I just have no desire for a locked processor. My Deneb and Gulftown have both spoiled me with how easy they are to overclock. The 1055T would also be a step down in terms of gaming since my 965 is currently running at 3.5ghz. I have just recently noticed that i'm hitting a cpu bottleneck in 2 of my games, and was just considering picking up something that would alleviate it by a bit before Bulldozer comes out. A good 1090 or 1100T should clock to at least 4ghz thus giving me a little breathing room.

Hey guys I thought this was a spotlight thread, not a "merits of the Thuban" thread.:D lol :D

My 1055 clicks to 3.8 pretty easily.

Yeah, but I still prefer an unlocked processor just because i'm lazy and casual these days. I think this is especially true for gaming where overclocking by just fussing with the multiplier is most likely to be stable.

1055T's hit 4.0 with more "ease" than a 1090T...

To be honest, I just have no desire for a locked processor. My Deneb and Gulftown have both spoiled me with how easy they are to overclock. The 1055T would also be a step down in terms of gaming since my 965 is currently running at 3.5ghz. I have just recently noticed that i'm hitting a cpu bottleneck in 2 of my games, and was just considering picking up something that would alleviate it by a bit before Bulldozer comes out. A good 1090 or 1100T should clock to at least 4ghz thus giving me a little breathing room.

Back