jfb9301

[H]ard DCOTM February 2016
New Month, New [H]orde Spotlight

December's is Mntduey

First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?

near Vancouver

What is your family situation?

Married for almost 6 years now, no kids.

What do you do for a living?

Unix Administrator (explains my love for all things unix/linux)

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

Yes, but it's a complicated story involving a couple lesbians, some sports cars and a popular soft drink.

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?

No I dont think I ever did, honestly never even thought about it before now.

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

Besides keeping up on the Gen May funniest pic thread? :D I play games from time to time, PC/PS3 but aside from that not much to speak of. I hunt and fish, hoping to try out bow hunting next year.

Tell us about your involvement in DC.

I started DC what seems like a lifetime ago doing SETI on my home PC, that was on an AMD K5-120 I think (yes, that would be a very long time ago). I stopped doing SETI a long long time ago, joined F@H just a couple years ago.

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

I dont remember his name, but we both worked tech support for AOL (huzzah dialup) it was around the time that the movie Contact came out (1997) and while the movie was pretty stupid, the SETI thing seemed pretty cool.

Why do you participate?

Today I support F@H because I hate cancer. My grandma died from cancer, my good friend is a cancer survivor, another friends mom had cancer, many coworkers and coworkers spouses have had cancer. Cancer is a horrible thing, if we can better understand it maybe we can better fight it. Alzheimers also runs deep in my family, numerous relatives have had this, it's very likely I'll have it one day, not a happy thing.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

I'd have to say cancer, it's such a horrible, indiscriminate disease. Take a look at the cancer ward of a childrens hospital, its absolutely heart breaking.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

In recent years just F@H, but the only other one I can think of is Seti

What teams have you contributed to?

Besides Team 33, just Anonymous early in my folding days

Why did you choose the Horde?

I've been reading reviews on HardOCP for a very long time, pretty much ever since the website started up. Back when there were a ton of websites doing a bunch of vendor not-so-agnostic synthetic benchmarks [H] went a different route and went after real-world tests, and they took a lot of flak for it from a lot of other sites. [H] was right, the other turkeys were wrong, and I really respect them for sticking with it in spite of all the venom other sites were pouring out. I think in the long run when you look at the history of the tests they've done you can get a real appreciation for the actual, real world performance of the hardware reviewed. When I learned [H] had a folding team I joined up.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?

Honestly I dont know, thats a good question.

Current level of production and how's it spread around?

Production is LOW right now, the bulk of my farm is working on other non-DC projects for work right now. As is I'm barely able to sustain 100kppd when I've been pushing out 250-300k for a long time prior. I only have a few dual cpu rigs folding right now, after the holidays are over I may be able to get some other systems up and running, we'll see though.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future?

hmm, hadn't thought about it honestly

Long term?

still havn't thought about it :)

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

I think we have one of the best sources for folding and rig improvment out there, cant say I'd suggest any changes myself.

Not really a change for our team but for F@H in general. I'd love to see AIX and Solaris smp clients out there, the modern AIX and Solaris servers have an insane number of concurrent threads going and killer computational numbers, should make for a great folding environment and we'd be able to get some big corporate competition/sponsorship from IBM and Oracle. Just think of a who's better battle between IBM and Oracle :D

Tell us about your involvement.
Where did you begin?

for F@H I started off with a single cpu dual core machine running windows and a Radeon based GPU client going.

What are you running today?

Today I have two low end dual cpu quad core nehalem servers and a couple low energy dual core2quad servers as well, 8-thread machines running bigadv, 16-thread machines running bigbeta. As all of my rigs are the high efficiency/low energy models and are running stock speeds their TPF's are lower than most of the competition.

Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?

My lab may be going away soon so I'll have to figure out an alternative way to support the cause.

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

Sometimes they do and I have to take them off folding duty to do other work, ppd suffers but such is life.

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?

100% linux, mostly CentOS

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

several years ago when I was testing out the GPU client I had a desktop with a nice Radeon in it, gave that guy quite a workout for a few months. Otherwise no

Confirming Mntduey is a mensch.

Back