[h] need overclocking support

okay, i'm fairly newb at oc'ing. i've only done it once with my old pc (a athlon xp 3000 single core), which eventually burned out after a year.

i now have this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813185084

..and a athlon xp 3600 x2 dual core processor at stock 1.9ghz.

my problem is i don't know these more advanced oc'ing options. i didctrl+f1 in my bios screen to unlock the advanced options too.. here is what i see after so:

( ) = current setting

PMU [auto/enable] (auto)
cpu frequency [200.0-300.0] (200.0)
k8<->nb ht speed [1x-5x] (5x)
nb-->sb ht speed [1x-5x] (4x)
nb<--sb ht speed [1x-5x] (4x)
k8<->nb ht width (down16 up16)
nb<->sb ht width (down8 up8)
err94 enh [auto/enable] (auto)

those are the stock settings, and my pc is at 1.9ghz per core, people always tell me that the athlon xp 3600 x2 is easily clockable to speeds of 2.4-2.7ghz per core.

i guess my queston is, how would i change my settings?

i tried simply changing the cpu frequency to see if i even got any change in windows specs, but nothing.

other parts..
2gb corsair valueselect ram at ddr667 pc5300
onboard video card (planning on buying a 8600 series soon)

To overclock only change the CPU frequency. Most of the other setting are hypertransport related so I would leave them as is. If I don't what a setting does, I leave it alone.

You need a utility that tells you the cpu speed, that should be the cpu-multiplier times the frequency. For vista, I don't know what works. With other OS, CPUz would be a usable tool.

Overclocking your new system is really little different from your earlier experiences. Anyway, just start increasing the cpu frequency. At some point if you board allows it, you'll want to increase the cpu voltage do so. Once you start changing the voltage you must monitor you're cpu temps. As I said, same as you used to do.

Good luck.:D

To overclock only change the CPU frequency. Most of the other setting are hypertransport related so I would leave them as is. If I don't what a setting does, I leave it alone.

You need a utility that tells you the cpu speed, that should be the cpu-multiplier times the frequency. For vista, I don't know what works. With other OS, CPUz would be a usable tool.

Overclocking your new system is really little different from your earlier experiences. Anyway, just start increasing the cpu frequency. At some point if you board allows it, you'll want to increase the cpu voltage do so. Once you start changing the voltage you must monitor you're cpu temps. As I said, same as you used to do.

Good luck.:D
Yea I've done that before. I tried simply changing the CPU frequency, but when I check in Windows (using Vista) using CPUz it still says its working at 200.9 instead of for example 240.0. I'm wondering is there a setting I have to turn off that locks changes from taking effect?

I'm not familiar with your board but none of the settings you list would make me think that they might control that aspect. Based on the behavior I understand your guess.

If you can't find someone familiar with the board then you might try working your way through http://www.techarp.com/show.aspx?fileID=18 to see if you can define some of the settings.

I'm not familiar with your board but none of the settings you list would make me think that they might control that aspect. Based on the behavior I understand your guess.

If you can't find someone familiar with the board then you might try working your way through http://www.techarp.com/show.aspx?fileID=18 to see if you can define some of the settings.
I just hope I'm not forced to buy a new mobo because my mobo is restricting me if thats the case.

Back