[H] in northeast Texas?

PopeKevinI

2[H]4U
Originally posted by Spinal
Too late... but yes, a bunch of idiots. Yeah I would love to have a LAN every now and then. There's plenty to do on weekends... if all you want to do is drink, drink and then drink again. Gets kind of old after awhile.

Well, it looks like I might have a site for LANs in a couple of months if you don't mind driving about 50 miles north of Nac. We're looking at buying a house here in Carthage, and I'm hoping to find one with at least one room large enough to host a LAN without driving my wife crazy. I've seen one that would be perfect for it, if they accept our offer.

I've got three or four high school seniors--my brother-in-law and some of his friends--who would be all about some LAN action, so we've pretty much got an instant LAN should I decide to get one going. And there are four XBOXes between us, for the console addicts.

Originally posted by PopeKevinI
Well, it looks like I might have a site for LANs in a couple of months if you don't mind driving about 50 miles north of Nac. We're looking at buying a house here in Carthage, and I'm hoping to find one with at least one room large enough to host a LAN without driving my wife crazy. I've seen one that would be perfect for it, if they accept our offer.

I've got three or four high school seniors--my brother-in-law and some of his friends--who would be all about some LAN action, so we've pretty much got an instant LAN should I decide to get one going. And there are four XBOXes between us, for the console addicts.

that would be cool, I'm like 45 min. out of Carthage plus I have family in Carthage who LANs so :D

Yeah keep us posted... Would be a good break in between actually going to class. Good to hear there is someone around who is into that stuff.

Yeah keep us posted... Would be a good break in between actually going to class. Good to hear there is someone around who is into that stuff.

Well, I'm probably going to make an offer later this week on a house with a 1200 square foot shop/garage. It could park four cars...I think that's ample space for a good LAN.

If all goes well, be warned...there's no broadband here in Carthage. So there wouldn't be net access.

I'm in Richardson, 30 mins outside Dallas. That's NE Texas, right? Need a job bad and will do just about anything.

Well, I'm probably going to make an offer later this week on a house with a 1200 square foot shop/garage. It could park four cars...I think that's ample space for a good LAN.

If all goes well, be warned...there's no broadband here in Carthage. So there wouldn't be net access.

The point of a LAN is to play LAN games... who needs net access... aside from pubbing.

Originally posted by ownerizer
I'm in Richardson, 30 mins outside Dallas. That's NE Texas, right? Need a job bad and will do just about anything.

Richardson is really more in north Texas. Besides that, I don't count the DFW area as anything but DFW :)

Good luck finding a job up there...I never could find anything that payed over $10 an hour (I used to make $18/hr there) and had to leave the area to come here.

The point of a LAN is to play LAN games... who needs net access... aside from pubbing.

Well, there some people *sniffle* like me *sniffle* who still don't have the luxury of broadband and high speed internet and enjoy the speed of cable access at the occasional LAN.

and I thought lan'ing was about file swapping..
:p :rolleyes:

I'm in Fort Worth. Don't go to LANs though. I was never much into gaming. I understand there's a place in Dallas that hosts regular LANs. Might be called GameWorks or something. Try looking it up.

Originally posted by Jonny_B
I'm in Fort Worth. Don't go to LANs though. I was never much into gaming. I understand there's a place in Dallas that hosts regular LANs. Might be called GameWorks or something. Try looking it up.

odd, I've heard of the same place you're talking about Jonny, but I can't remember the name either. I know here in NE texas there is a actual lan center over in Tyler (Arena Tyler is the name iirc).

Originally posted by Jonny_B
what part of Ft. Worth?
i'm just west of fort worth in parker co.

There's a place called Gameworks (I think) in Irving, and I got the impression they might be a chain. Never went...too expensive for me. When I ran LAN parties, it was out of a computer shop so I could charge $5-10 a head for the whole day/night, serve pizza and drinks, and still pull a profit.

This house I want is taking forever to get the offer accepted. The agents expect the owner to accept, but they can't get in touch with him to get a "yes". If I do get it, we're talking a 1200 square foot shop/garage which will probably end up with as many network drops as are necessary for a LAN.

It would be a no-booze LAN, for those who care. Aside from my wife's objections to having a bunch of drunk geeks in her garage, I know we'll have some local high school seniors around and I for one don't feel like going to jail for contributing.

Oh yeah, one more reason for not having drunk geeks in the garage: I'M GONNA BE A FATHER!!! :D :D :D

Just found out a week ago...this garage is fairly sound-proofed from the rest of the house as best we could tell, but I'd rather not get in trouble for waking the kiddo up.

There's a place called Gameworks (I think) in Irving, and I got the impression they might be a chain. Never went...too expensive for me. When I ran LAN parties, it was out of a computer shop so I could charge $5-10 a head for the whole day/night, serve pizza and drinks, and still pull a profit.

This house I want is taking forever to get the offer accepted. The agents expect the owner to accept, but they can't get in touch with him to get a "yes". If I do get it, we're talking a 1200 square foot shop/garage which will probably end up with as many network drops as are necessary for a LAN.

It would be a no-booze LAN, for those who care. Aside from my wife's objections to having a bunch of drunk geeks in her garage, I know we'll have some local high school seniors around and I for one don't feel like going to jail for contributing.

Oh yeah, one more reason for not having drunk geeks in the garage: I'M GONNA BE A FATHER!!! :D :D :D

Just found out a week ago...this garage is fairly sound-proofed from the rest of the house as best we could tell, but I'd rather not get in trouble for waking the kiddo up.

Congatulations man. Keep us posted about the LAN. Sounds like fun. I think the no alcohol rule would be a good thing. Keep us posted!!

www.ghettolanparty.com

this is a local one that i go to, its awesome

and the next one in March is going to fill up quick, the one in January 10th was about 205 man lan,

check it out, my friends and i will be there, hit my pm box if u guys plan to go

-paulm

Well, after four weeks of waiting for an answer, we have officially retracted the offer on the first house :( It's a shame, because I was very much looking forward to holding LANs in that 1200 sq ft garage.

We've already got another one in the works and should have it under contract by tomorrow. My wife knows the owner of this one, so I expect it will go better.

This one is inside the city limits (ugh) and on a smaller lot, but is much nicer inside. I'm sure something can still be worked out on running LANs from time to time, but we'll just have to wait and see.

in Euless there is this place called The Site.. at least i think that's what it is called can't remember the site's addy right now at school tryin' to do C++...

For me i live in Arlington/Grand Prairie border and we have LAN's all the time...

Originally posted by paulmofyourhand
www.ghettolanparty.com

this is a local one that i go to, its awesome

and the next one in March is going to fill up quick, the one in January 10th was about 205 man lan,

check it out, my friends and i will be there, hit my pm box if u guys plan to go

-paulm

I was last at a ghetto some two years ago ... Tell Cricket that Mike says hey

Perhaps I should clarify something..DFW isn't northeast Texas.

edit: Not trying to tell the DFW guys to get out or anything, this is the longest-running Texas [H] thread I've seen in a while. It's just that those of us in the east are too far out to make the DFW LANs with any regularity. We need some of our own :)

I'm talking Tyler/Longview/Texarkana, all the way down to Lufkin/Nacogdoches. DFW is three hours from here...

There are lots of good LANs in DFW. I never went to any, but several of my friends did. Denton has several, as does the Irving/Carrollton area. I was going to start up a LAN in a computer shop, but the area was saturated and we couldn't generate the interest to make it profitable.

Originally posted by trajedi
in Euless there is this place called The Site.. at least i think that's what it is called can't remember the site's addy right now at school tryin' to do C++...

For me i live in Arlington/Grand Prairie border and we have LAN's all the time...

lol, "The Site" is a joke, ive been there, its the one near that Whataburger...

they said they will never have a BYOC, and they discontinued all of there cs tourney...

one day it was just my friend in i in the whole building, and ther are 30+ computers. i paid for playing a game, and i asked him if i could buy an hour just for my friend (we were only going to be there another 15minutes), so he refused, all he was going to do was, check his email, and look at a site, and the guy at "The Site" said that it would take up too much bandwitdth? wtf

oh well...

ghetto lan is coming up soon

=paulm

lol, "The Site" is a joke, ive been there, its the one near that Whataburger...

they said they will never have a BYOC, and they discontinued all of there cs tourney...

one day it was just my friend in i in the whole building, and ther are 30+ computers. i paid for playing a game, and i asked him if i could buy an hour just for my friend (we were only going to be there another 15minutes), so he refused, all he was going to do was, check his email, and look at a site, and the guy at "The Site" said that it would take up too much bandwitdth? wtf

oh well...

ghetto lan is coming up soon

=paulm

perhaps we need to get a group from NE Texas to carpool up there ... GLP is some pretty cool folks.

i have 2 full trucks of stuff and people , so i mean we can all we leave at the same time, my house is located just south of there on i-35w, so we can leave as a big group?

-paulm

i have 2 full trucks of stuff and people , so i mean we can all we leave at the same time, my house is located just south of there on i-35w, so we can leave as a big group?

-paulm

sure, if you want to drive 2 and a 1/2 to 4 hours to where most of us live in this particular thread.

no, i meant you guys meet up at my house, if its on the way, i have no idea where longview is

150 miles from Ft. Worth iirc.

Originally posted by mikeohara
150 miles from Ft. Worth iirc.

Something like that. More like 165, if I remember the exit numbers on I-20 right.

Longview is east of Tyler, not far from the LA border.

I am going to school at A&M too!

Glad to hear that there are fellow [H]ard members nearby.

Originally posted by amohedas
I am going to school at A&M too!

Glad to hear that there are fellow [H]ard members nearby.

My sister-in-law is a senior down there. She's not exactly [H] material, though.

im in richardson. 1.5 miles away from my house is where garland,dallas,richardson clash

Originally posted by zoltan
im in richardson. 1.5 miles away from my house is where garland,dallas,richardson clash

It seems that this person has North Texas confused with Northeast Texas ..... just so I can clarify this for everyone who is from the Dallas/Ft. Worth/Surrounding Areas and is posting in this thread, you're in the wrong thread imo and should start your own North Texas thread (or post in the others that are available). Northeast Texas is the following areas (Tyler, Longview, Carthage, Nach, etc etc). I'm not trying to crap on the thread at all and if it seems like I am, please let me know.

-- Michael

Originally posted by mikeohara
It seems that this person has North Texas confused with Northeast Texas ..... just so I can clarify this for everyone who is from the Dallas/Ft. Worth/Surrounding Areas and is posting in this thread, you're in the wrong thread imo and should start your own North Texas thread (or post in the others that are available). Northeast Texas is the following areas (Tyler, Longview, Carthage, Nach, etc etc). I'm not trying to crap on the thread at all and if it seems like I am, please let me know.

-- Michael

Meh...the DFW thread I started when I was in Dallas died out months ago. It's probably buried a page or two deep if someone wants to find it :)

Back