[H] gpu testing methods.

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
First, obviously we all love [H] and they have the best reviews online, no doubt about it. One thing concerned me though when I was checking out some of the more recent reviews.

The review specifically I'm referring to is the recent GTX260 Black review. The card is considered a 'gamer' mid level card and the testing is being done with extremely high end processors. I understand this is to eliminate the possibility of a CPU bottleneck to help deliver more real world performance. But is a $1000+ CPU coupled with a $220 GPU by any means a real world setup, to represent the real world performance they want to present us with, for people who would run that gpu?

I think people that have $1000 cpu's are more likely to be running the best GPU available, and probably have SLI/XFire, than running a mid level card. Yes, it's allowing the gpu to be shown to it's fullest extent but that's not representing real world performance that the majority of people that buy this card is going to get. People with that card are more likely going to have $150-$300 cpu's, right? Not in all cases, but most. In a way it's similar to synthetic benchmarks, just purely the best available throughput of the card, not necessarily matching what you will get.

Think of it another way. If you review this card with a $1000 extreme edition Core 2, a $300 Core i7 and a $150 Core 2, you're going to all get different results. If you consider the lower resolutions that people that a GTX260 would run games at, the CPU plays a much larger role than say at 2560x1600, where people would be running high end GPU's and match that with the high end cpu they use here.

The reason I brought this up is because I have a 3ghz core 2 and game at 1440x900. When I look at the reviews, I can't decide whether it's an upgrade for me because I know just by having that CPU alone, my FPS would skyrocket with my current gpu setup. I think that alone is a very legit argument about this methodology for gamers like me looking at a mid level card to match our mid level cpu.

I think the attitude is right with 'real world' performance over canned benchmarks (except FC2 which we know is actually a legit tool). But all in all wouldn't the reviews for a mid level gpu help us mid level gamers more if the cpu's/motherboards/memory/resolution were what we have? Just like how the guys with the $1000 cpu's and 2-4 gpu's expect them to be bench marked with hardware they likely have? I understand hardware cost money and money doesn't grow on tree's but it's something to at least think about for the future, just to match high end gpu's with high end cpu's and mid level gpu's with mid level cpu's. That way your target audience for each product knows what they are going to get.

That would be find and dandy if we were evaluating a system's gameplay performance, but we are evaluating the video card's gameplay performance.

The review would be worthless if they were to bottleneck the card with weak hardware as it would not show the full potential of the card. Most [H] reviews are at high resolution anyways where the CPU has much less of an effect on the frame rate.

and to think, forum goers bitched about the stock clocked x6800 [H] used to test the 3870x2 and insinuated that the cpu speed was the reason the 3870x2 wasn't slaughtering the 8800gtx like so many of the other sites claimed the ati card was capable of.

It does not make sense to test GPU when it is bottleneck by CPU, or other variables. Its like testing a Ferrari, but only up to 50 mph. Yes, most driver probably dont drive as fast and agressive as in the driving track, but the point of the test is to find the limit of the car and how it handle at max speed. Same reasoning as in testing GPU.

Dude this is [H]ard forums....not oft forums....

but it would be completely retarded for [h] to tend to the upper 20% of the income class.

there is no problem with reviewing a 260 BE with a 1000$ cpu in it, they are reviewing the gpu, not the pc in its entirety. when the 285 and the 290 get into [H]'s hands, then we will get those reviews with 1000$ cpus

in the real world, i will buy a 4870x2 the couple with my q6600 OCed (a 180$ cpu) so i dont expect the 4870x2 reviews to be specifically made for me, and neither should everyone else on the forums

actually, i like to think of the reviews in relation to OTHER gpu's, not how a gpu performs with a specific cpu

That would be find and dandy if we were evaluating a system's gameplay performance, but we are evaluating the video card's gameplay performance.

/thread

Although you could go for a 2fer and start swapping out CPUs once you find the max. playable level on the GPU to see what sort of hit it takes. :D

/thread

Although you could go for a 2fer and start swapping out CPUs once you find the max. playable level on the GPU to see what sort of hit it takes. :D

Sure. Just you would only get one article a month. We would go broke. And none of this would be here.

This is something else I tell ya what.I like the [H] reviews for a reason.These guys test the shit they are using.Use the product to it's max potential so we all know what it is capable of.

I use the reviews to make my gpu purchase last year.I knew what the card was capable of thanks to the test and I used the info to make my purchase.

All I have to say is thanks to Kyle for making the great reviews happen.Thanks to you we have trustworthy reviews to help us make a big desicion on which hardware to use.Keep up the good work guys I appreciate it.

its sort of a catch 22. you use a fast cpu to really keep from being limited by it during the gpu tests. at the same time most people dont have a cpu that fast and in most games will get worse results. its not a big problem on Haedocp since they usually only test very high stuff so most people can actually relate.

the thing I think is funny are the reviews of slower cards like the 4670 which are done with high end cpus. most people base their video card decisions on the benchmarks they look at and most of those people likely dont have a cpu anywhere near that fast. and yes even a card like the 4670 can be held back by a slow cpu and i know from real world experience.

some people just dont get it though. they buy a video card and expect it to run like they see in the benchmarks. if you look at the latest cpu benchmarks in games they scale like a freaking gpu test nowadays. a 4870 can nearly double its performance with a high end cpu compared to a very low end one.

things are only going to get worse for those that keep clutching onto their slow cpus while continually upgrading their gpus. sure your averages may go up but rest assured your minimums usually wont. anybody that thinks a cpu is not important to modern games clearly has their head in the sand.

Good way to word it cannondale.People do need to look at the reviews that show how different cpus scale in certain games.I couldn't believe it the first time I read the cpu scaling benchamrks for games.Some games were meh some games had a huge difference.

When I went from the 5000+ am2 @ 2.6ghz to the C@D E8400 @ 3.6ghz my avg went up but the big thing was my minimum framerate.The min is what is gonna make the big difference in gaming

what about doing one article on cpu scaling? I mean take a mainstream card from each camp and just run your test like like normal. if you kept the focus limited would this still be too out of scale? something like a phenom II, C2D, C2Q, and an i7.
I say use a 4870 512mb and a GTX260 192SP for the cards. also throw in a relatively slow 4400 X2 and older Pentium D just to give some of those guys an idea of what they are missing. this could all get real complicated and time consuming though.

I say use a 4870 512mb and a GTX260 192SP for the cards. also throw in a relatively slow 4400 X2 and older Pentium D just to give some of those guys an idea of what they are missing. this could all get real complicated and time consuming though.

You don't have to say "relatively slow 4400 X2." It is slow!:)
Also, if they want to know what they are missing, they can just look at the charts in the review to see what their systems won't be able to do.

Why don't we make [H] play everygame in the world. Play threw every games single player and show what maps have slow downs.

This doesn't make any sence right?

So why use a crappy cpu that can bottleneck the gpu not showing it's full ability?

Thanks [H]ard the the great reviews keep it up

I can't decide whether it's an upgrade for me because I know just by having that CPU alone, my FPS would skyrocket with my current gpu setup.
I thought this alone would prove the point entirely but I guess nobody agrees. I still don't believe real gameplay performance for that cards target audience can be demonstrated without a real world setup for that card. The whole point in your testing methodology is that "this is what you will get using this card" but nobody with that CPU is going to use that card and if they do, it's not because they are gaming on it. With a forum full of pros you would think at least 1 person see's it that way.

Just lock this thread then. I don't want it to turn into a flame fest.

I think you are overlooking that with overclocking you can easily get a Q9450 or Q9550 to 3.6 Ghz, and the Q9550 is around $300, the other one even cheaper than that. You don't need to buy a extreme edition processor or have an unlocked multiplier to do that. The reviewer is just removing the CPU from the equation, just like if you were testing how allergic people were to dogs, you would make sure there wasn't a cat in the room. With my Q6600 at 3Ghz I read the review and understand that I am maybe getting 5% to %10 less in FPS but can still turn on all of the same features, and I got my CPU for $100.

I thought this alone would prove the point entirely but I guess nobody agrees. I still don't believe real gameplay performance for that cards target audience can be demonstrated without a real world setup for that card. The whole point in your testing methodology is that "this is what you will get using this card" but nobody with that CPU is going to use that card and if they do, it's not because they are gaming on it. With a forum full of pros you would think at least 1 person see's it that way.

Just lock this thread then. I don't want it to turn into a flame fest.

I don't think its turning into a flame fest at all, and your point was not missed. everyone is perfectly aware of that. the problem is that every one wants to see what the card itself can do, H is a business like any other, is going to give the consumer what they want within reason. If they had to do a review of video cards on several different levels it would raise the workload exponentially, and it would still skew the results. In other words they could not, ever, make everyone happy. So they go with what they can prove empirically (removing the cpu from the equation as much as possible) and showing what the card can do.

while I would love to see a cpu scaling article by H doing it even partially for games and video cards is just unrealistic.

can i add a suggestion?
can reviewers get together and decide to post a pic of the iq settings in the control panel they are using for both ati and nvidia cards?
like if gamma correct aa is on, transparency aa is on, etc.
because there is too much variation in reviews from one site to another, some saying and nvidia card is better for a certain game, the other saying an ati card is, and i believe the cause is different iq settings in the control panel.

Back