[H]ELP! Possible Dead Shuttle!?

hignaki

Gawd
I bought a used sb61g2v1 shuttle from a forum member here, and up until now it's been fine. I took out my PNY GeForce6800GT to install the nv5 cooler (no mistakes, BTW, nice contact on core and memory), and when I put the card back in (unplugged PSU, wore static strap on grounded workbench), the computer would not turn on in a sense. The fans spin, and the power standby light is on, proc heatsink heats up, video card heats up, etc. But nothing POST's. No sounds when I take out my RAM, no video (w/onboard or video card) or otherwise. I've since taken out the video card, and same problem. Everything has since been unplugged besided the monitor and keyboard (even the keyboard at one point) and still nothing, even after resetting the CMOS.

Can it just "die" like that?

I forgot to mention: when there IS RAM in the computer, the computer will start up, shut off, and start back up again. When there is no RAM, it starts up, and (I think) post loops. Still don't see anything on the monitor (or have it come out of standby). I have also now tried different monitors.

how did you possibly fit one of those arctic coolers inside of a shuttle?!?! I must know, i really want to put one on my x800.

btw, i would say that your best bet would be to clear the cmos.

vage said:
how did you possibly fit one of those arctic coolers inside of a shuttle?!?! I must know, i really want to put one on my x800.

btw, i would say that your best bet would be to clear the cmos.

There is NO way to install the silencer inside a shuttle w/o modification (or leaving the case off).
On all G/G2/G4/G5 chassis', you have to cut the case to get it to fit.
On the newer P chassis, you need to modify the drive cage.
Im not sure if it'll fit in the i chassis (not sure if the SB86i is out yet).

r3negade said:
There is NO way to install the silencer inside a shuttle w/o modification (or leaving the case off).
On all G/G2/G4/G5 chassis', you have to cut the case to get it to fit.
On the newer P chassis, you need to modify the drive cage.
Im not sure if it'll fit in the i chassis (not sure if the SB86i is out yet).

exactly....I have been looking for ways to normally fit it in for over a month now. When I saw the post above i thought he found a way so I was asking.

Did you clear the cmos yet? Have you tried putting the original heatsink fan back on the video card? This kind of sounds like a problem I had a while back with a computer, and that was it wouldn't post when moments before a normal shutdown it had worked just fine for months. Turned out that the circuit that reports the processor fan RPMs had burnt out and even though the fan worked and spun just fine it wouldn't post because according to the computer the processor fan doesn't work. It could be something like that. I suggest getting your system in the original configuration that it was in when it was working just fine, and use that as a basis to troubleshoot.

Sounds like maybe ram with the restarts when the ram is in. You have any other sticks around?

Okay...I am using the NV silencer. It fits w/o the case on, but that doesn't matter, because it's so silent now :) .

I've tried different sticks of RAM (I work in a computer repair shop, easy access).

And, yes, I've cleared the CMOS. The computer restarts immediately after bootup w/ram with the CMOS jumper in either position. Still no dice.

Here's a question...are there any other places on the motherboard that have a jumper. I know there are places (like in the corner, by the video card) that there are pins, and maybe I pulled one off? I've switched all the fans in the computer (besided the northwood, I just unplugged that for a little to test it). I've also used a full ATX power supply I had lying around, and same problem.

I've found similar problems online, but all of them were solved either by clearing the CMOS or holding <insert> while powering up. Neither of these works, or maybe i'm clearing the CMOS wrong. Is there a set "procedure?" I unplug the comptuer, unplug the ATX connector, remove the battery, switch jumpers, and reverse. Either that or, turn it off and switch jumpers, turn it on, back off, and switch them back to normal. Still no luck.

The only last ditch thing that I can recommend is that there is a little battery on the motherboard. I say take it out and leave it out for about 15 minutes and then put it back in and start up your computer. That should reset everything back to the original way it was in the bios and everything. IF that doesn't work than I really have no other ideas.

Alright. Too bad i've already taken out the battery. I can, however, point people to look in the FS/FT thread, because i'm selling the parts. I think I killed it with static somehow. If anybody has any ideas stll, please post.

i can offer u service' if u reside in uk

40 inspection
55 per hr labour
+ parts , mobo ur looking at less then 100 for v1 sb61 mobo
psu about 30 ish
10 delivery back to u

umm..no. I work in a repair shop already. Besides, i've already sold most of the parts. I know what goes on in repair shops...

Besides, I live in the US.

Back