[H]ardOCP Build-off?

Would you consider sponsoring a [H]ardOCP Builders Battle?

• Yes

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Maybe, depends on who is building.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

spugm1r3

[H]ard|Gawd
Let me preface by saying I have absolutely no authority to make this a thing, but looking through the forums, I realized just how many talented builders we have displaying their work here. The thought occurred to me, I'd love to see a build-off between some of these guys.

Just imagine, a head-to-head battle between alexciobanu, l3p, B NEGATIVE, and Zenator, just to name a few. Perhaps the [H]ardest case built out donated components, or maybe the editors here could swing a few corporate sponsors.

I don't know what we could do as a community to make this happen, but I think it could be a lot of fun for everyone. Again, I have not authority to make this happen, no agreement from any of the builders, but I love the work you guys do here and would love the chance to see some more.

If any community can make this happen, [H] can. I think it would be epic. Logistics on the other hand... might be tough.

I would participate. I have a friend that mods cases. I would just enter him into it.

Wow what an honour it would be! I've been super busy lately and haven't been on the forums much. I am coming back however with a new project already up :D

Very excited to see this once I logged in :D

I think this is a great idea! :cool:

It would be a Great way to showcase talent for the people building and a marketing opportunity for [H] and potential sponsors looking to target a very receptive audience!

Go go go!

I don't want to be a downer, but we have 1 post and 4 replies on this thread, and thousands of members... Questions:

1. How do we get more engagement to see if this is a good idea on the whole?
2. What would be the next steps?

We might want to bring some mods into this, or even Kyle or Steve.

EDIT: Just saw we have 11 votes. Still, above applies.

Agreed jamsomito, I was kind of expecting a bit more response. In fairness, life has prevented me from managing much more than "that would be awesome", but I do genuinely think we could produce a proper build-off.

To answer your questions: I think to get more engagement, some front page action would go a long way. Of course, to get said front page action, we need to layout some ground rules and flesh the idea out some more.

So maybe the real first step is, what kind of build-off do we want to see? Scratch builds only? Builds all based on a particular case? A particular form factor?

An interesting idea might be to limit the build by some interesting factor, like weight, or a theme.

Next week is a monster for me, but after that, I'm going to give this some cycles. I'll try to give this a more complete picture. In the meantime, share your ideas!

Unfortunately, a lot of this modding competition went over to Bit-tech.net community. They worked real hard getting companies to come in and sponsor the builds. If [H] gets some sponsors involved, it could take off. Money talks. ;)

I would paypal donate a few bucks, but not a part or anything. I would love for this to become a 'once every two years' thing where [H]ard accepts donations for getting the event going for a year and a half, while widdling down the hopeful contestants down to just two or three participants and then each participant has 6 months to build the system with an equal share of the funds donated as well as donations from their own sponsors. Winners get to keep the other contestant's rigs.

PLAY FOR KEEPS.

Back