[H]ardOCP & ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DirectCU II Giveaway

I have a Dell Vostro with a 9800GT that is just begging to be replaced. An Asus GTX 660 Ti DCII would allow me to enjoy lower power draw, less fan noise and increased performance over the 9800GT, without having to completely re-build the system in a new case. What's not to want? 2gb of RAM, DX11, PCI-E 3.0, Nvidia Triple Surround support, sign me up!

My current 290ti is really starting to show its age. Have used Asus motherboards for years,I know I can trust them, you get what you pay for.

The real question is how will it not benefit our gaming experience? Answer, NONE!!!

DCU II History:
The GTX 660 ti is an excellent card for its respectful price/performance. And the ASUS's DCU II version has earned it's mark to be at a higher platform than most others. Notably, when the GTX 560 ti came out, 'toms hardware' tested all the different revisions of it with the highest OC'ed card, to the lowest priced one. Out of all the others, ASUS's DCU II version of the 560 ti got toms hardwares recommended award (which shouldn't be overlooked).

OC'ing and Cooling support:
With the same implementation of ASUS's DIGI+VRM in it's motherboards, ASUS has introduced it in it's graphic cards as well and the 660 ti with not only that, but also super alloy chokes, which makes it a monster all ready to be OC'ed and break records. The DCU II itself represents 20% more effective cooling than the reference design and much lower fan noise even at max speed!

Personal Expression:
I'd personally love to own one of these babies as the time has come where getting better performance than a GTX 580 and at almost half the power needed isn't impossible anymore. ASUS's red theme with the DCU II has always been awesome and would help match-up with the red/black sleevings of my PSU.

The fans would keep the 660Ti cool and quiet so I can play games without having to turn up the speaker's volume.

It would be nice to blow the doors off my 260's performance Asus has always been a solid maker for parts I have used and I would like to test out one of their video cards.
The look of the card is amazing and I would love to crank up the clocks on this bad boy.
And the low noise would be a plus to my gf.

Big Upgrade! I'm currently running a loud, hot, power hogging GTX 470 that just doesn't get the job done in the newest more demanding games. The Asus GTX 660Ti DirectCU II would launch me up to the current generation of graphics hardware, and help me keep my rig and office cool! The would allow me to play my favorite games at higher resolutions with buttery smooth frame-rate without going deaf from a turbo speed cooling fan. If I win I might spring for 2 new LCDs to complete the Nvidia Surround gaming experience!

This would be a great step up from my 460 GTX. More cores, faster clock speeds, more memory. What's not to love about this card?

Amazingly .......... A
Silent ................. S
Unforgetttably ..... U
Stimlulating ........ S
... are just some of my thoughts of winning such a system ... Once again [H]ardOCP & ASUS have teamed to enlighten and inspire the community on such a fine product ...You guy's Rock ... THX!

Currently using my old 4830 card. 660ti would be a huge step up. Would also benefit from motherboard by being able to upgrade to ivy bridge. Not to mention the power savings and cooler running PC.

Last edited:
Less noise. During gaming I can hear my 480 wind up like a jet engine. Quiet would be a blessing.

Good luck! With it's new and better kepler gpu this should actually let me play ps2 with more than 20fps and with such a beastly heatsink with dual fans it would stay cool while even being overclocked.

This would be a major upgrade to my current card. The 2 GB frame buffer would allow me to push for higher resolutions and bigger screens.

Last edited:
In 1989 four ACER employees had a vision that has now become a reality: ASUS now has become a top 5 vendor of computer hardware and has created quite a cult following with the enthusiast crowd. Doing this was no small task in a crowded enthusiast market with a target audience of extremely critical, highly intelligent, and ultra savvy enthusiasts whos brand loyalty can easily be destroyed with a single bad hardware experience. The fact that ASUS is one of the first names mentioned during any technical discussion within the enthusiast community says a lot for the quality of the hardware they continuously bring to the table, and the excellent support they provide to back up their products. The ASUS GTX 660 Ti Direct CU TOP is no exception to this rule as it brings 28nm technology to the midrange enthusiast market. The lower power draw of 28nm combined with the ASUS DirectCU thermal design provides excellent thermal properties, and the twin fan configuration quietly keeps the card nice and cool. To ramp things up ASUS utilzes their own GPU Tweak utility allowing enthusiasts to push the card even further. DIGI+ VRM with Super Alloy Power technology delivers precise digital power and enhanced durability to allow the most stable overclocking experience possible.

The ASUS 660 Ti Direct CU TOP would be a significant boost from my current GTX 260, and would provide several years of high end gaming experience for the latest demanding games being published. Factoring in the ability to overclock and I would expect to get an excellent three to four years lifespan out of this card. As a casual gamer that spends ten hours a week enjoying PC games, this card would offer me high end gaming at a $0.15/hour price point. In 2012, it's good to be a enthusiast indeed. :)

Last edited:
I'd love to get this card in my machine for several reasons.

1. Reduced heat output - The Card i'm using now causes my whole room to heat up significantly after several hours of gaming so I'm forced to bring in a table top fan and blow it around me and the PC to help keep the heat down.

2. Decreased power requirements - Using less power and getting more FPS? yes please

3. Directx 11 support - I would love to be able to play some of these newer games that support DX11 features and get the most out of the games.

Would be great to replace my ATI 4750 x2 with a nVidia 660 Ti. The noise of the fan on that thing is insane trying to run new games. Cooler, quieter...better!

After four years of running flawlessly as my primary gaming system, the time is approaching to retire my Asus G50V (which I won at ROGCon 2008). There is no better way to enter the new generation of pure PC gaming goodness than with an Asus Motherboard and video card.

With the help of an upcoming Java API, Minecraft can take advantage of all those CUDA cores.
TF2, Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft all at higher resolutions, taking advantage of DirectX 11, smooth dynamic game-play and a GPU boost for those moments when everything happens at once.

A single 660Ti would replace my current pair of 6870s in Crossfire, which are starting to show their age with Guild Wars 2.

Plus, the energy savings of dropping from two cards to one would be a nice improvement.

Oh yea, and no more AMD drivers!

the 660Ti would be a great upgrade to my current card - a GTX 470. The Asus 660Ti delivers a great gaming experience without needing a lot of power and without making a ton of noise.

I really like the heatsink/dual-fan design with 6 heatpipes. If I win one I'll buy another and run it in SLI like I did with 2 8800 GTS's!

I've been looking for a ultra fast card that will work with 1080p (or higher) gaming in a small form factor case without melting the card or my components. The Asus GeFroce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II seems to fit the bill. Asus reliability and top quality components and technology in a nice dual slot format that will be right at home in any computer but will allow small form factor users who want a no compromise gaming experience to get it without worrying about it. I really like the idea of the new DIGI+ feature, when the card begins to get long in the tooth you can expect stable overclocks to give you that extra bit of power you might need in the latest and greatest games. Add to that the proven DirectCU II cooler, multi display support (including use a 4th panel for all your vital stats), Physx, and DX11 support and you have a real winner. Stay cool my friends, just like Asus DirectCU II cooled GPU's.

The graphic prowess is the first thing that I love about new ASUS/Nvidia cards. Reliable Nvidia drivers and the ASUS brand name make me think this is built to last. Low power consumption on a top level card is icing on the cake, also great for SLI.

I'm on the edge of building a new system. When one of your PCs is on the "minimum system requirements" of a new game, it's time. I've always been an ASUS user and would love to add to the collection.

I love Asus products. They have worked for me and my boys for years.

I am trying to build a gaming rig for my youngest son and would love to use this MB GPU combo from ASUS.

Funds are a little tight right now as I am between jobs at the moment and this combo would be far better than anything I can cobble together on the the cheap by watching Newegg and Tiger as well as the HardOCP for sale/trade forum.

So, make my sons day,12 years old in a few months, and please choose us as one of the winners.

Thanks!

Brent, Blake, Charlie and Alex !

:)

.....Asked Alex to do a write up since it is for his PC, this is what he wrote ;-) .......

I want the ASUS because it has a copper heatpipe cooling the GPU. It also has two fans for better cooling and looks awesome!
The motherboard has WiFi and a cool black and red theme that will match the Video Card and look awesome the case!
This will let me beat my brothers ASUS rig he built using an AMD CPU and Crossfired Asus ATI Radeon CuCore HD5770 on a Asus MB.
Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
The fans on the card will definitely keep it well cooled during my gaming.

My entry is a story about my very first build.

It was a long time ago. The very first generation of the Pentium 4. I bought a cpu/mobo combo from some off-brand website figuring "hey, this off-brand, no name motherboard is just as good as any, right?". I should be saving money anyway, having spent so much (and rightly so) on the brand new Geforce 4 Ti 4600.

After patiently waiting for each component to arrive, I started the build. My dream build. Top-of-the-line graphics card, 512mb of DDR1, 20GB hard drive, Sound Blasters Live, aluminum case decked with blue spinning fans and fancy cathode tubes. After a few hours, everything was assembled. It took almost the whole night of looking at manuals, installing, uninstalling, then reinstalling hard drives and sound cards, double checking every component to make sure everything was connected properly and ready to rock. Finally, the moment of truth came. I hesitantly moved my finger towards the power button. "This isn't going to work. I just know I screwed something up, forgot some crucial step", I thought. I depressed the power button, looking intently at the green power light on the face of my brand new Raidmax aluminum case with the cool side window that I had spent extra for.

Nothing happened. None of the cool blue led's lit up. None of the fans spun. That new computer smell didn't fill my room. I double checked all of the molex connections. I made sure the ram was installed properly. I made sure the power button was connected. I even made sure the computer was plugged in. All fruitless. All of this money, all of this time leading up to that single press of a power button. Nothing. I wasn't going to be installing Windows 98 that night. I had been robbed.

It was a faulty motherboard. I got an RMA for the off-brand motherboard from the off-brand website I bought it from (shipping was at my own expense) and finally got the computer spinning. Not quite as climactic as it would've been a few weeks earlier, but hey, at least it was working. For 2 more weeks. And the next replacement motherboard for a few months.

My uncle suggested next time I get a nicer brand. Something like an ASUS. I wasn't very familiar with the brands at the time, but I trusted my uncle. In my next build (Pentium 4 with HT), I splurged and bought the ASUS motherboard. Booted on my first try. If I had gone with an ASUS in the first place, I would've never have been robbed of the glorious experience that is turning on one's very first build. I would've had amazing tech support had the motherboard not worked properly. I would've had a much more feature-rich motherboard that would've future proofed my computer for a few more years. Had I gone with ASUS that first time, things would've been different.

Now I've got a nicer, newer computer. with a GTX 460. It's an alright card. The heatsink design is a little outdated, the fan a little loud. Temps not quite up to par with other GTX 460's. Not an ASUS card, but decent enough. The ASUS 660ti would be leaps and bounds above my current card, and I would have the reliability and up-to-date design of an ASUS. One neat thing about it is the dust-resistant design of the HSF. It keeps dust out of the HSF, keeping your card cooler, which in turn makes the card last longer (and easier to overclock).

Maybe with a brand new ASUS 660ti, I can regain some of what I missed on my first build. That smell of a brand new video card the first time you run it. The ball bearings wearing in and the capacitors heating up for the first time. The smell I didn't get with my used second-hand GTX 460. The smell I was robbed of my very first build. Maybe with an ASUS 660ti, that can change. Maybe, with ASUS, again, things can be different.

Back