[H]ard Purchase Decision...

Derfman

[H]ard|Gawd
Good evening [H],

I'm in a dilemma, my income tax has hit today and I was going to upgrade my PC to a nice Core i7 setup. I had picked out the following:

CPU: Core i7 920
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D

Besides the RAM I am going to carry over everything else in my current rig.

Here is where I am stuck, with current memory prices I can still afford my desired Corsair Dominator 1600 but I see an equal amount of good reviews for the lesser Corsair offering Corsair XMS 3 1600.

Here is where things get complicated, I was going to make the purchase at one of the local MicroCenter's, since everything is about equal in price and I have a store I can return it to (hell I live in NJ so I am paying sales tax either way, between MC or NewEgg).

The Dominators are about $100 more than Newegg (2x 6GB sets), but the XMS3 are about the same price.

My goal is to get the highest overclock possible on air with my 920 and I don't want to the Memory being a limiting factor. Is the Dominator series going to make any real difference for my needs? Or would the extra money be better spent towards an after market heatsink for my CPU?

And last but not least... Is there possibly another brand that I should also consider, or is Corsair one of the better choices at this moment?

Thank you in advance for any advice that can be provided.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for your reply gwarren007.

I may give Amazon a shot, but I'm still curious about which Corsair RAM I should choose.

I'll also buy 2 6GB packs as you suggested, since I have noticed the RMA nightmares of having to provide the full set of RAM even if there is only one bad stick.

Wonderful!

I think I will pass on the Dominators then, and put that money towards the new Tuniq 120 heatsink, I have the previous version and it works wonders on my Q6600 and the new on is getting even better reviews...

I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Thanks again for your time gwarren007.

Back