[H]ard forum, please help me

FragMastahFlem

Weaksauce
Im not completely sure if this is a hardware or software issue, so mods, please move it if need be.

Anyway, heres the problem. My mom has a pretty basic dell dimension desktop she bought about a year ago for internet,e-mail, things of the sort. A week ago we went to california for spring break and the dogsitter used the pc to check his email everyday while we were gone.

Before the dogsitter used it, putting the computer is stand-by would, well, do what stand-by normally does-as in the pc "shuts off", but can resume operation by moving the mouse.When we returned, we found a weird problem with the computer--When stand-by is used, the computer will begin the normal stand-by sequence and remain in stand-by for about 2-3 seconds. Then it will suddenly start up for a second, run for about 2 seconds, and immediately shut down. When we start it back up, it boots up as if though it was shut down(as opposed to stand-by)

I coudnt figure out was wrong as ive never experienced such an issue before. I tired going into power settings and everthing checked out. I tried clearing the cmos, which fixed the problem for one day before it starting happening again. I considered reformatting but I beleive this may not resolve the issue.

I would greatly appreciate any input here. What could be wrong?

hmm, see if the babysitter installed any programs...
it sounds like a program is preventing it from truely entering the standby phase.
check for viruses, spyware.

run Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. see if anything is running in the backround that you dont remember installing. also, do you have an anti-virus?

Back