[H]ard Decision

simon741

Gawd
Well its dx10 time and everything and I am torn between two things. Idk if I should sell my current PC and build a new one, or keep it and get a 360. I know PC may be a better gaming platform, but I also want to watch HD movies which the 360 can do, and I can upgrade the the HDDVD addon. The reason for me even thinking about the 360 is that I'm not really into hardcore gaming anymore. I dont want to sit on a chair 2 inches from my pc screen playing an intense match of Quake 4 or BF2 etc. I would rather be chilling on the couch playing games and in HD goodness ( I will be playing on my monitor ). Also, the 360 seems to be better in terms of MP and live. All I really care about in games is MP and the fact that everygame will usually have it and I can just pop it in and play seems pretty cool. Everyone will also have a headset which is a +. In addition, there will be XBLA, movies, and everything else live has to offer. Most of the games that the PC has are on the 360 and vice versa. I cant really think of any PC exclusives coming out. Also, the PC has support for mods n stuff so thats cool. Idk what I should get if somebody can sway me to one side or the other. Im mainly leaning toward the 360 for its MP capabilities and the need to not upgrade ever. How long do you think the 360 will last before the next gen consoles come out or its graphics are so outdated?

If you want a 360, I'm selling a premium package for a great price. PM me if you're interested.

The 360 you cannot upgrade and it's value depreciates greatly within time.

The PC you can upgrade, and also use a 360 controller.

As for the HD movies, the HD drive for teh xbox 360 can be used on the PC.

MP for the PC is free for the most part.

FOr what you described, the 360 will be great for the short term...but not for the long term in my opinion. I'm 27, and I've just gone through way too many consoles. So now I stick to the PC.

get a 360. back in december i sold my gaming pc and got a 360. never looked back. only thing i still play on pc is CS:S and i, by no means, need a 3K computer to play CS:S.

FOr what you described, the 360 will be great for the short term...but not for the long term in my opinion. I'm 27, and I've just gone through way too many consoles. So now I stick to the PC.
And pc parts don't depreciate?;) Actually the 360 is good for longer than the pc...usual turnover time for consoles is about 5 years whereas any pc built today that isn't absolute top of the line will be near obsolete for gaming in that time span..

edit- also he said he would keep the pc if he got a 360 so it would still be useful for other tasks. That's exactly why I still have socket 939 see sig..

These days I think consoles is the smart way to go, unless your income is up there that is.

PC's depreciate much much quicker than consoles, no clue what the guy up there was thinking.

I guess it really depends on what type of games you play. In your case it seems to be FPS team games. Which is somewhat playable with a gamepad such as R6 Vegas, Gears Etc . As for me, I can't imagine myself playing Warcraft FT or Company of Heroes if it were to be ported to the nex gen console variants. There are some things that I would rather play on a PC. I say go ahead and get a 360, and if you feel you miss the keyboard and mouse buy a new pc

i suggest taking a good look at what is coming out for the PC and 360 in the future and what games interest you. unless you have a 37"+ HDTV buying a 360 just for your PC monitor might be something to reconsider, you can always plug in the HDDVD addon to your PC and then if you want/can afford it you can go for blu ray. Other than that its up to you.

Yeah, I dont like RTS, MMO, or anything else. The only games I play are FPS and racing. I might get a g25 since the MS wheel seems pretty sucky. But my point of getting a 360 is the fact that I want to chill when I play games, not be all hardcore 2 inches from the screen. Are there a lot of dbags on live? Besides 11 year old kids.

Yeah, I dont like RTS, MMO, or anything else. The only games I play are FPS and racing. I might get a g25 since the MS wheel seems pretty sucky. But my point of getting a 360 is the fact that I want to chill when I play games, not be all hardcore 2 inches from the screen. Are there a lot of dbags on live? Besides 11 year old kids.

my time playing on xbox live is usually positive. You get the asshole here or there but its no different that gaming online with a pc. And Live makes it very easy to mute someone. One advantage my xbox has over my PC is I can play game with friends on the couch, makes for alot of fun local MP games.

FP games on the box is certanly a different feel from the computer but its still alot of fun and if all you do is racing and FP games then I think the Xbox will be perfect for you.

And as for the whole, PC games are free to play online argument, xbox live is what $70 a YEAR, if you cant afford $70 a year for something as great as xbox live then how do you afford internet?

Low-end game capable PC and Xbox360 are similar in price since you're playing both on a computer monitor. Xbox360's got more games, Xbox Live is convenient when it's done right, and pure crap when done badly. Xbox Live is a neat service, but as far as multiplayer goes, it's generally much smaller-scale than PC. You won't be seeing BF2-sized servers. PC multiplayer has plenty of dedicated servers on powerful hardware, and Xbox360 is just hosted off of Xbox360s and are rarely dedicated. Unfortunately, some games on the PC are also crappy console ports, and would be best played on the console it originated on.

Xbox360 has a large number of games, and many of the new PC games end up ported to the Xbox360. But an important things is what kind of games you like. Me and my roommate are PC gamers that both bought an Xbox360. He never uses his xbox360 anymore, since he's so hooked on WoW and LOTRO. I, on the other hand bought something like 20 games for my Xbox360 in 6 months, and don't use my PC for games at all. You will have to like the console games. Also, you may or may not like a controller interface.

You will need a PC either way for non-gaming related stuff. I kept my PC after the graphics card melted so that I can get stuff done. It's just a crappy 64mb geforce 2 mx now, which lets me do everything except play games. Which I use my Xbox360 for, on that same monitor(and the Wii). You'd better have a backup PC or laptop if you want to sell your PC now and get an Xbox360.

In the end, I think it's a safer bet for you to get an Xbox360 for now. The PC market has been particularly turbulent as of late, both in hardware and software. Lots of the good PC stuff isn't coming till later this year or into '08 so I won't be dropping 2k on a gaming PC until then.

The 360 isn't a replacement for a gaming PC. But, then again, a gaming PC isn't a replacement for a 360, either. I bought a 360 back in February 2006, and don't get me wrong: it's absolutely fantastic. But I also felt as if I really wasn't getting my fix of MMORPGs and RTS games, either.

Ultimately, a true lover of games is going to find themselves using multiple platforms, because good games don't just come out on one platform. Embrace the diversity, as much as you can within your budget.

My advice: grab a 360 for now, and then pump a little money into your PC to get a little more speed. Are you hitting a wall with regards to CPU/RAM/video upgrades or something?

Unfortunately G25 is not supported under the 360. I use mine on the PS3 or rfactor for the pc

what does physical distance from the screen have to do with how "hardcore" you are? You obviously really want a 360, so just go buy one, heh.

There is no console substitute for battleflield-style games (I like to call them tribes-style :p) and rts/strategy games.

If they ever get a good mouse style controller for the 360 I'll play it a lot more. I see one just came out for the PS3, which is kind of baffling because the 360 seems like it's 99% shooters and it's been out for over a year and a half :/

Ultimately, a true lover of games is going to find themselves using multiple platforms, because good games don't just come out on one platform. Embrace the diversity, as much as you can within your budget.

QFT.

Idk, I guess it doesnt make you hardcore or not. I can still play QW and Stalker on my 6600gt just on low settings. Most of the games coming to PC that I am intersted in are Multi-Platform. The only thing that I dont like about the 360 and I may just get a PC is that I want to play my racing sims and with my current righ now, I can play all the racing sims except for DiRT. Are there any new racing sims coming out? Idk, maybe im just too excited for Army of Two.

Crysis, Stalker, Quake Wars, UT2007 ... arent they all PC-only?

UT is actually coming out on PS3 and 360 too.

I've never been much of a console gamer, but it seems like this year they're the real winner, though I hope by this time in 08 pc games will be back in the spotlight. Crysis is the real PC killer game imo, but I just don't know if a single game can justify another huge upgrade anytime soon. Where as based on EB's release dates these are the 360 games I'll definitely be picking up in 07: Bioshock, MoH: Airborne, Blacksite, Mass Effect, PGR4, Turok, Halo 3, Sega Rally, GTA4, Mercenaries 2, Ace Combat 6, Guitar Hero 3, CoD4, Assassin's Creed, and UT3.

I don't think it has as much to do with 360 vs PC as a game platform as much as the 360 just happens to have more/better games coming out this year.

Yeeeahhh....you do realize, right, that you can plug your TV into the same HDTV an XBox360 would plug into, right? And use the same exact XBox360 controllers with it? And STILL play all the great PC games? (And when you want to play a shooter sitting on the couch watching your TV, you have the option with the PC of ditching the 360 controller and switching over to a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Let's see a 360 user do THAT! :D )

UT is actually coming out on PS3 and 360 too.
But with the PC version there will be a hundred or more mods, and most likely lots of free extra content after it's released. For the 360, let's just remember horse armor. MS wants to charge everyone for extra content.

I say buy the X360. The machine alone is a fantastic machine (just hope that you are more lucky than the 11th-replacement-guy). Games are mostly racing/ FPS/ sports. Of course it cannot compete with a $3k pc for visual quality but then you are only spending $400 on the machine.

Arguing whether PC or console is better is fruitless. Get the best from both worlds!!

Crysis = PC

Crysis also = godlike

therefor PC = godlike

But with the PC version there will be a hundred or more mods, and most likely lots of free extra content after it's released. For the 360, let's just remember horse armor. MS wants to charge everyone for extra content.

I actually have plans to start up a mod for UT3, if it gets off the ground I will be browsing [H]forum for potential workers and beta testers :D

That's a tough decision, and there's really no right answer. Depending on how you spend your money, there are cost benefits for both platforms. It's not an easy decision. Personally, I think the Xbox 360 is an excellent platform and either way you go you'll have plenty of games to play. In the end, I think it all comes down to what games you prefer.

Of course, these days MS is pushing more and more games to be on both the PC and Xbox, but there are still plenty of exclusives for each platform. Are you more interested in Halo 3/Mass Effect/Assassin's Creed/Too Human/GTA IV or in Crysis/Spore/Dragon Age/Starcraft 2? Answer that question and you probably have a good idea of which platform is best for you.

Idk, I guess it doesnt make you hardcore or not. I can still play QW and Stalker on my 6600gt just on low settings. Most of the games coming to PC that I am intersted in are Multi-Platform. The only thing that I dont like about the 360 and I may just get a PC is that I want to play my racing sims and with my current righ now, I can play all the racing sims except for DiRT. Are there any new racing sims coming out? Idk, maybe im just too excited for Army of Two.
Well Forza 2 came out last month and I think PGR4 is supposed to hit this holiday season. Beyond that I don't really know. You also asked about d-bags on Live, and yeah there are a lot of them. They seem to play mostly FPS's and whatever the popular game of the month is though. If you play something more cerebral, like Catan, you can pretty easily avoid them.

Ehm, nope dont have a 50 inch hdtv but plan on using a 19-22 monitor with the vga cable. Crysis looks amazing and there is nothing else I would want to play more but I dont want to spend 3k on dual 8800 Ultras to play it max. Spore looks ok but the graphics dont look too amazing. Maybe my system could run it. As I said before, I dont like rts so SC2 is pretty much out of the picture.

Ehm, nope dont have a 50 inch hdtv but plan on using a 19-22 monitor with the vga cable. Crysis looks amazing and there is nothing else I would want to play more but I dont want to spend 3k on dual 8800 Ultras to play it max. Spore looks ok but the graphics dont look too amazing. Maybe my system could run it. As I said before, I dont like rts so SC2 is pretty much out of the picture.
Do you really need the Ultras though? While Crysis is certain to be a demanding game, I'm certain you'll still be able to enjoy playing it at fairly high settings with a more sensible GPU setup. Also, those games I listed were just an example of the biggest games coming out on those platforms in the next couple of months. You should do some research yourself and see what other games you're interested in. It would be rather unwise to base a $3000 purchase on one game alone, especially one that you really don't know how good it's going to be regardless of whatever the hype is.

i have no idea what this guy is thinking but he is completely wrong.

console gaming is what is happening, because everything is the same for all consumers.. its easier to make the games and have them perform better.

also, its a cheaper way to go.. no need to go out and spend 500 dollars for the top performance every 6 months after a 3000 dollar purchase...

as much as i hate to say it, pc gaming is slowly becoming obsolute

One thing you have not stated is how much money you have to spend. You will probably not be happy chilling on your couch playing on a 22 in monitor unless your couch is really close to the monitor. I chill on my couch and PC game but my monitor is a 30 incher. I would recommend picking up a Westinghouse 37" like another poster recommended. But that is going to cost you. I am actually in a similar situatuion as you getting sick of dumping money in a box and still having to upgrade to keep up. I am still debating a core system and a Westinghouse for $1200 or just upgrade to quadcore and Vista for $800ish. If you are running a 6600gt I would definately spend $1200-1400 and get a 360 and a 37" Westy.

HD DVD on the PC is nowhere as simple as it is on the 360. on the 360 you plug in the drive, install the software and its done. on the pc you need software which is still kinda buggy, a hdcp monitor and video card, and a beefy enough cpu/video card to properly decode and play the movies without having lag or performance issues.

currently theres no way in hell id have my pc as my hd dvd/br player

also note if you like playing with the keyboard/mouse style you can always get a xbox 360 "XFPS" add on..

http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm

i want to get one, now that i have money i might pick up one today :)

also live service if $40 a year... not $70 (the refill cards are 12+1 months for $40, so thats 13 months for $40) which i have no problem paying since its that big of a time span.

i too am one of the people that sold the gaming rig to get a xbox 360, and havent looked back since.. online player games are awesome on XBLive. and for those like me that dont like 11 year olds screaming at each other on their headsets, you can choose to mute certain people permanently so you never have to hear them talking :)

Back