• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

[H]ard Box contest #2

I just wanted to add my congrats to sc0tty8 & jfb9301. I'm looking forward to pictures of the finished WC setup.

Edit: Great work by the parts donors and organizers. Really a very cool contest
 
I heard the sc0tty8 was also the winner of the 320 Million dollar lottery, and now this! Very lucky guy! :)
 
lol. If I won the lotto I would be #1 on this team faster than you could say win:p
 
Congratulations to the winners
 
LOL, Gratz again Sc0tty8! Also gratz to our resident historian jfb9301!
 
Sent the boxen and boxen bits out today.

I'm going to start a new thread here soon with a new contest that sc0tty8 has alowed me to do.
 
Congrats to both! Was not paying attention at all and forgot about the contest end...
 
Hardbox2 arrived Friday afternoon.

i7 920
DFI Lanparty mATX board
3G of DDR3-1333 CAS7
and some other assorted goodies

SWMBO bought off on it being a gaming rig for my son. So I did some mods already. More Fans, A GTX260 core 216 I had collecting dust, a 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA2 drive, and Win7 Home Premium (My son and I went in on the cost of the drive and the OS). He and I did some overclocking. So far I have not been able to push BCLK beyond 160 as it will shutdown/reboot after a few minutes of folding. Also as the RAM clock causes me to use some multipliers that are not as optimal as it could be. I'm running 160x20 for a CPU clock of 3200, A 2:8 ram divider for 1280 to the ram, and a UnCore multi of 20 so the UnCore is synchronous with the CPU. I know, UnCore should be double RAM, but that causes the system to be unstable. My son and I are looking into getting some RAM off the "egg". Probably 6G of Mushkin DDR3-1600 CAS 8, or I might toss in a few extra $ for some CAS7. That should let me get the above multis to 20,10,20 which would allow a little more synchronicity (I don't have solid numbers, but as I recall getting the right multiplier balance helps a 920 a bunch).

Right now its making around 4KPPD. Sounds a bit low from a what I recall, but it has been almost a year and a half since I have OCed and folded on a 920. Maybe the ram upgrade will help. Also I have all the bits for WCing except a block, (my LGA775 block will not fit). So I might grab a block too.

All in all it has been a lot of father/son computer building time this weekend.

Thanks guys

p.s. I added the rig to my sig, computer name Delta. And I know you guys like pr0n, so I'll try to post some pics in a week or so.
 
Last edited:
Jbf9301, that rig should be doing over 10k ppd if not over 15k.

It was doing that with the linux install I had on it.

What are your temps like?
 
65C....

I've no idea what changed. It was getting terrible frame times when I booted it in linux, I don't know the exact numbers but it was not good. I got it down to 8-10 minute frames on a 6981, by OCing. I'm getting around that in windows. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. It's engaging all cores in windows (and was in linux). I checked out the BIOS before I fiddled with it, it didn't look like you had any fancy custom settings that I could see. If you have any suggestions, let me know, 10-15 KPPD was what I had in mind based on the hardware.
 
I just had default settings loaded, nothing special. Putting it all together was to make sure all the parts worked before shipping out.

I'm at a loss :confused:
 
dunno, but I think I found the issues in windows. Using process explorer, widows want's to run a "system" thread and loads it to 10-12%, I'm sure that this is stalling the FahCore, I'm giving -smp 7 a shot, and it seems to be helping. The system thread is only using 7-8% and the frame times are down to just over 6 minutes (before it ranged from 8 to 12 minutes). I can't figure out what "system" is, process explorer calls it system and it has PID of 4.
 
Are you running the GPU client?

Some of the GPU WU, are quite CPU hungry.
 
na, GTX260 isn't worth it (to me) folding. Little more research online looks like some drivers can cause the system thread runaway, I'll have to get more data tomorrow. The CPU "Start Address"
 
I got fittings and more tubing on order. Need to mod the case destined for it then should be ready for install this week. I think its going to be my new desktop, dual boot w/ windows and linux.
 
dunno, but I think I found the issues in windows. Using process explorer, widows want's to run a "system" thread and loads it to 10-12%, I'm sure that this is stalling the FahCore, I'm giving -smp 7 a shot, and it seems to be helping. The system thread is only using 7-8% and the frame times are down to just over 6 minutes (before it ranged from 8 to 12 minutes). I can't figure out what "system" is, process explorer calls it system and it has PID of 4.

That is windows internal crap. If this is a new clean install it probably is just doing some initial stuff. You can goto start -> run and type "rundll32 advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" to force it to run some of the idle tasks now.

It should clear up after a few hours regardless though.

Generally system is kernel level code (like drivers and stuff) that need to use CPU type, they are displayed as system (along with some other low level stuff).
 
That is windows internal crap. If this is a new clean install it probably is just doing some initial stuff. You can goto start -> run and type "rundll32 advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" to force it to run some of the idle tasks now.

It should clear up after a few hours regardless though.

Generally system is kernel level code (like drivers and stuff) that need to use CPU type, they are displayed as system (along with some other low level stuff).

36 Hours :confused:? Some research on the web indicates that bad versions of drivers (including chipset drivers from intel :confused:) can cause this behavior. I think I just need to look at the memory map to find the driver. Then I'll updatde or downdate and try to fix the problem. Here is an example of what I'm reading. http://communities.intel.com/thread/19249
 
start address is ACPI.sys

Tried loading new chipset drivers, I'm stumped. Would disable ACPI in bios and a re-install of win work? Maybe just a re-install of windows? Suggestions?
 
jfb9301

You are starving that puppy it needs a little loving. Lets start off with your current settings are you still at 160 X 16, if you are change it to 200 X 16 and see if that gets you any better preformance. Also what are all of your current settings and timings. That chip is capable of 4Ghz on air with good heatsink.
 
jfb9301

You are starving that puppy it needs a little loving. Lets start off with your current settings are you still at 160 X 16, if you are change it to 200 X 16 and see if that gets you any better preformance. Also what are all of your current settings and timings. That chip is capable of 4Ghz on air with good heatsink.

I'm still fighting a run-away process. About half the time, System is using just over 10% (about 1 core) and in conjunction Interrupts is using another several percent. So half the time I'm folding I'm only at 80%.

And SMP7 is just a stupid idea... I have no idea how many WU I corrupted today while I was at work (not stanfords fault as they do say don't run 7). probably no bonuses for a while. Sad face as I have a 360000 point WU returning tomorrow.
 
Found it!

Temperature is not my friend. As Temps would approach the higher 70s, the run away prosses would kick up, causing temps to go back down to the mid 60s. With cooler room temp, and a reduction healthy reduction of core volts, I'm right around 70C with no run-away thread robbing performance. Looks like I need a cooling upgrade to go with that ram and this machine will be kicking it.
 
What vcore were you running at what are you running at now. At 3.2 that chip does not require much of a bump
 
Back
Top