[H] AMD Mafia

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
I signed up as Tanner1999. Got my 3570k at 4.2 ghz. going at 100% on all 4 threads. Core temps are holding around 49-56c. Also got my old AV computer, an Athlon II x2 at 3.4 ghz, going at maximum load - according to Open Hardware monitor, core temp is holding at 24 to 25, but I am using a 12 cm tower cooler on it. Does this seem a likely accurate temp reading?

That's 6 cores/threads for the Team. If nothing goes wrong, I'll have them running 24 hours a day until the contest is over.

Gonna see if I can bring one more computer onto the swarm, too. 8 threads would be better.

Edited to correct core speed/temp

Last edited:
looks like i'm doing roughly 35k PPD with my 1600 @ 3.4Ghz(stock).

I signed up as Tanner1999. Got my 3570k at 4.2 ghz. going at 100% on all 4 threads. Core temps are holding around 49-56c. Also got my old AV computer, an Athlon II x2 at 3.4 ghz, going at maximum load - according to Open Hardware monitor, core temp is holding at 24 to 25, but I am using a 12 cm tower cooler on it. Does this seem a likely accurate temp reading?

That's 6 cores/threads for the Team. If nothing goes wrong, I'll have them running 24 hours a day until the contest is over.

Gonna see if I can bring one more computer onto the swarm, too. 8 threads would be better.

Edited to correct core speed/temp

the temps on the athlon II sound wrong but not all that surprising since the sensors on the phenom II/athlon II's were inaccurate as hell or just flat out didn't work properly on the athlon II's. i'd double check the sensor reading with Core Temp, it's a better program for AMD processors.

What happened to all my points?

they're there.. it just resets to 0 when you switch to a new team but you're all time points show 380k. if you switch back to your old team it should start you off where you left off with that team if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
Tried Core Temp. Still reads 24 to 25. No matter, I'm sure the Athlon II is fine to run at full load with a CM Hyper 212. I got it for quiet, and so I'd never have to worry about it overheating.

Only recently did I crank the main computer (3570K) up to 100 utilization, and put the overclock on it. I reckon I should get more than 20K ppd. Not bad.

Oh yes, I've got an antique in the mix, too, now. An Athlon 64 x2 running at 2.4 ghz. I'd forgotten how much power per thread/core has been gained since those days; it's looking like it can only finish about 4 to 6 tasks a day! In comparison, the 3570K draws about the same amount of power from the wall and should do at least 35 a day, since I've cranked it up, I'd guess. Progress.

Tried Core Temp. Still reads 24 to 25. No matter, I'm sure the Athlon II is fine to run at full load with a CM Hyper 212. I got it for quiet, and so I'd never have to worry about it overheating.

Only recently did I crank the main computer (3570K) up to 100 utilization, and put the overclock on it. I reckon I should get more than 20K ppd. Not bad.

Oh yes, I've got an antique in the mix, too, now. An Athlon 64 x2 running at 2.4 ghz. I'd forgotten how much power per thread/core has been gained since those days; it's looking like it can only finish about 4 to 6 tasks a day! In comparison, the 3570K draws about the same amount of power from the wall and should do at least 35 a day, since I've cranked it up, I'd guess. Progress.

Yeah I use to run wcg on an athlon x2 6400+. It took anywhere from 3-5 hours per task. The big ones that they don't have anymore took 30+ hours but those were pretty rare to get.

Oh you have a hyper 212 on it, the athlon II should be fine.

We are 8.9 million points behind 3rd place. Need more volunteers if we plan to catch them.

Any reason to Ryzen perform to what I think it's poorly?. anything to optimize the performance with BOINC?. it's not offering the performance I thought it was gonna offer over the 4c/8t i7s. at 3.7ghz just perform a bit better than a 4c/8t ivy bridge at 4.2ghz, and way worse than the 8700K Im building and testing right now. the difference between the ryzen 7 and 3770k it's closer than the 3770k and 2600 despite a larger clock difference between the latest.

boinc.png

Are they running the same projects? Lots of points difference depending on which projects they are running.

Are all 16 threads of the Ryzen being used also? Make sure it's not idling on any of the projects. Also make sure it's using 100% CPU time.

yeah, they are at the same project but im still tunning the ryzen machine the cooler and the case are delayed so I never received with all the rest of parts, probably they are here tomorrow. so im doing all with spare cooler and case, nothing finished yet, so I figured it would be good to put it to help the [H] time in the meantime. =).

We are getting closer to taking 3rd place, but we still need a lot more volunteers to join up as we are still 8M points behind 3rd. We're gaining about 3.5M points a day on them.

The benchmark looks accurate my 1600 stock is 4185/15875.. it’s mostly the clock speed difference between the processors effecting the benchmark. The big difference is that you’re running 16 projects at the same time on the ryzen vs 8 on the 3770k..

The benchmark looks accurate my 1600 stock is 4185/15875.. it’s mostly the clock speed difference between the processors effecting the benchmark. The big difference is that you’re running 16 projects at the same time on the ryzen vs 8 on the 3770k..

yeah I thought the same.. however I was expecting bigger numbers... well.. on a side note im trying to find friends and more people to join..

I’d say the numbers are pretty big.. you’re still out performing per core a processor that is running 500MHz faster.

Let the addiction begin :p

lol yeah, im still pleased with the amount of money spent on that machine, with the performance received. im actually planing to replace all the 3930K, 4960X, 5960X rigs with a combo of Ryzen/Threadripper machines, sadly those are for work and even if they are inactive right now I can't use it. anyway I hope to the end of this month or the other to join stronger to the [H] Force..

Any reason to Ryzen perform to what I think it's poorly?. anything to optimize the performance with BOINC?. it's not offering the performance I thought it was gonna offer over the 4c/8t i7s. at 3.7ghz just perform a bit better than a 4c/8t ivy bridge at 4.2ghz, and way worse than the 8700K Im building and testing right now. the difference between the ryzen 7 and 3770k it's closer than the 3770k and 2600 despite a larger clock difference between the latest.

View attachment 43918

What memory are you using and what is it clocked at? Ryzen benchmarks tend to increase in some applications the faster the memory gets.

That's some awesome memory isn't it? Just apply the XMP profile and boom. Well, I can't add anything else that wasn't stated by others.

no problem, everything it's fine and working as intended... did other couple of bench and everything it's OK, I just had maybe higher expectations with Boinc however it's still working as expected.

440?

We only have 103 active members contributing to WCG as of this post.

December 1st through December 24th is the WCG Christmas race. :)

View attachment 43918
At 3.725GHz (according to /proc/cpuinfo...can't remember what it's set to in firmware, but that seems right) I get these results:
Wed 22 Nov 2017 06:05:49 PM MST | | 4574 floating point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
Wed 22 Nov 2017 06:05:49 PM MST | | 16098 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU

At 3.725GHz (according to /proc/cpuinfo...can't remember what it's set to in firmware, but that seems right) I get these results:
Wed 22 Nov 2017 06:05:49 PM MST | | 4574 floating point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
Wed 22 Nov 2017 06:05:49 PM MST | | 16098 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU

thanks, everything its OK. similar results.

Back