[H] 2012 Print Exchange

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
So, last year was fun. So I'm going to start this again this year.

8x10 print of your choice to your Secret Santa.

PM me your e-mail, address, name and I'll put it into the google docs like last year. Signup loses 12/20/2012

I didn't take part last year, but would be interested for this year. Can you elaborate a little more?

Oh yeah! This was a lot of fun last year. I'm in again.

Yeah, I agree we need the full rule set again, and possibly more rules this time, including:

1) How many prints? Last year I couldn't decide on one, so I sent a set of 3. Can we say anywhere from 1 to 4 prints is allowed depending on how you feel they should go together? Or do we want a hard-and-fast rule of just one print?

2) Size: Since most photo printers use standard 8.5x11 paper, can we say that 8x10 or 8.5x11 (full bleed) are both acceptable?

3) How to ship your print(s): make sure to sandwich prints between 2 pieces of cardboard and pad them so they don't get bent up in shipping.

4) How do we handle the after-thread where we post pics of what we got? Should we require everyone to snap a picture of the picture and post what they received? This might be a fun rule and require some creativity for people to get a photo of a photo that looks decent and has a fitting background etc. Or should we just say that all senders should be ready to post an image of what they sent once their recipient confirms arrival?

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm thinking we might want to spell out the full rule-set just in case.

Last year I had to ship out of the US to Canada, and it was a bit difficult to figure out the best way to go about this that didn't break the bank. Here is what I figured out:

People online were recommending using shipping tubes, but I didn't have any of those and didn’t like that the print would get curled. Ended up shipping the print in a clear page protector then sandwiched between two very stiff pieces of double thickness cardboard would have to be enough. Before sandwiching the print, I taped it down to one of the pieces of cardboard so that it wouldn’t shift to the edge (left a 1/2 inch margin). For future print exchanges USPS First-Class Mail® International Parcel service was cheap enough ($4 for 8oz). All the other shipping options were $15+.

Adam's General Shipping Suggestions:

1. Put your print in a clear page protector.
2. Cut out 2 pieces of double thickness stiff cardboard that is 1 inch wider and 1 inch taller than your print. You want the stiffest stuff you can find.
3. Tape the print to the center of one of the pieces of cardboard. This will stop it from shifting to the edge, and getting dinged on the corners or edges.
4. Put the second piece of cardboard on top.
5. Tape around all four edges. When you fold over the tape make sure it is tight. You should end up with a very stiff thing that you can't flex or bend.
6. Put your label on there.
7. If shipping internationally, ship USPS First-Class Mail® International Parcel service. For shipping within the US, this will end up light enough that I believe First Class mail will be the cheapest option since this is within the weight limits(PM me if you know this isn't true).

Last edited:
Rules:
1. 1-4 8x10 Print of your choice to your SS
2. Protect your print when you ship it.

• 1. Put your print in a clear page protector.
    2. Cut out 2 pieces of double thickness stiff cardboard that is 1 inch wider and 1 inch taller than your print. You want the stiffest stuff you can find.
    3. Tape the print to the center of one of the pieces of cardboard. This will stop it from shifting to the edge, and getting dinged on the corners or edges.
    4. Put the second piece of cardboard on top.
    5. Tape around all four edges. When you fold over the tape make sure it is tight. You should end up with a very stiff thing that you can't flex or bend.
    6. Put your label on there.
    7. If shipping internationally, ship USPS First-Class Mail® International Parcel service. For shipping within the US, this will end up light enough that I believe First Class mail will be the cheapest option since this is within the weight limits(PM me if you know this isn't true).
3. PM me your Name, [H]andle, e-mail, address.
4. When you've sent your print, please provide that information to me so that I can add it to my excel sheet. Also, when you receive your print, post the pictures of what you've got (so I can add it to my excel sheet of who got their print so nobody gets shafted).
5. Have fun!

Oh, also... Please put your preference. Some people decorate their house differently... so here's an example I got.
Preference info: I prefer black&white images if possible as this is what I have my house decorated in currently. Architectural, landscape, and/or interesting macro or artsy type images.

Ok so... I've gotten only two PMs. Let's not be shy here.

SS Match Date
November 20, 2012 EST

Ship-by Date
December 10, 2012 EST

Received-by Deadline
December 25, 2012 EST

Got any more people signing up ben_chi(f4)?

We could post the photos we were going to send... it is so hard choosing just one or two. The are all perfect and amazing ;)

Ok so... I've gotten only two PMs. Let's not be shy here.

SS Match Date
November 20, 2012 EST

Ship-by Date
December 10, 2012 EST

Received-by Deadline
December 25, 2012 EST

Oh! This is coming up a lot sooner than I thought. Pretty sure I am signed up, but I thought we had a lot more time. Thought I read somewhere that the matching didn't happen 'till 12/20 almost right at xmas-time.

What's the status on this, Ben? I didn't get any notification of my match, so guessing the original schedule was scrapped, or I'm not signed up... Are we still on for print exchange this year?

So, last year was fun. So I'm going to start this again this year.

8x10 print of your choice to your Secret Santa.

PM me your e-mail, address, name and I'll put it into the google docs like last year. Signup loses 12/20/2012

Yeah, OP says 12/20. Guessing people thought they had a lot more time...

Damn, wish i would have seen this. It would be fun.

ben chi(f4) never sent any pairings out and hasn't responded lately to this thread. You are not really late, but I got the feeling that this isn't going to happen.

Since it is getting close the the end of the year, everyone could start posting 2 or 3 of their best photos of 2012 into the "A Picture I took - 2012" thread.

Back