GW Security Inc. Cameras, trustworthy/reliable?

w4ffles

2[H]4U
My dad and I are switching from an analog-based system to IP cameras. So far, I've purchased 2 Hikvision 3MP EXIR bullet cameras to test and they're quite nice. We saw on Amazon that there's a company called GW Security Inc. that sells 5MP cameras for insanely cheap. The reviews are quite mixed though so I was wondering if anyone here had any personal experience with them.

Here's a link to the camera in question:
http://www.amazon.com/GW-Security-Inc-GW2040IP-Surveillance/dp/B00LPJ7FC6/

5MP, PoE, varifocal zoom, and 40M IR illumination for $119 sounds too good to be true. I can't find any reliable information on google. Reviews on the company's other products sound fake and endorsed. I'm leaning towards using all Hikvision cameras but I need some proof to convince my dad. He's drawn in by the feature list but all I see is a huge red flag.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Feature lists do not determine price or quality of IP Cameras for the most part.

I have used $500/ea 1MP cameras and $100/3MP cameras. The sensor used, ability to deal with dynamic range of light (lights to darks), encoder quality, lens quality, software etc. all make huge differences in the end result.

Hikvision is solid, as is Dahua. Next step up I would look at ACTi. Then comes in the big dogs like Panasonic/Axis.

I dont even rank Foscam/Dlink/etc. as they are really home consumer grade setups.

Reference: I professionally install cameras. My bread and butter is ACTi as they are solid cameras, have a great software NVR that comes with a 16ch license, and the performance is extremely good both day and night. I have been doing more Hikvision/Dahua work lately though too.

Thanks for the info, Grentz.

I think it's going to be Hikvision in the end because their 3MP cameras are ~$90 on Amazon. I'd much rather deal with Amazon's customer service if anything goes wrong, over ebay or some sketchy Chinese website.

Is it possible to change the lens on a Hikvision camera? I was thinking that a wide-angle lens that's a little zoomed in might be beneficial (as opposed to the 4mm lens that came with it).

Have a mix of 10 Hikvision 3MP and 2 Dahuas in my home (all POE).

Never had a hiccup.

Back