Guys Which opeating system would you picked?

Which operating system would you run?

• Window 2000 Pro

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Window XP Pro

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Window 98 SE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mac

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Unix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linux

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys just wanted to know what operating system would you used? and which Operating system do you think is the most stable and crash free.

I've used Mac, 98SE, 2000 pro, and XP Pro, and a Unix based cash register, and XP Pro has to be the best I've used. Every Apple system I used was terrible for stability in minor web browsing. I've never used Linux and I have no desire to. The unix cash register constantly has problems and is generally a piece of garbage.

Yeah i agreed, but i would say Window 2000 Pro is more stable, but XP pro is much user friendly, it makes life easier with Wizard home networking, just with a simple click and it done.

My linux system makes full use of my NUMA dual Opteron system without having to use the unstable-driver badness that is Windows XP-64 bit. It's also rock stable, responsive and doesn't need to be reinstalled every 6 months.

@robberbaron: I think comparing linux to a cash-register system is a bit . . . um . . . unfair? Given that linux is used in 60% of the world's top500 supercomputers, I'd say it's a bit more reliable than your cash register :p

Just to keep things in perspective...
Any OS is only as good as the person who setsup/maintains it.
You also didnt really give a specific need/application for the OS.
Xp and Win2k are virtually the same except for some eye candy and some extra wizards...

In my experience only win98/ME had to be constantly reinstalled, and those are considered obsolete anyway. My win2k and XP boxes have never required reinstall.

Generally I would pick XP though...

run
W2K
W2K Advanced Server
XP64 beta (would run 64 bit W2003 server but I dont have it)

Suse Personal 9.0
Suse Pro 9.0 (64 bit) both now Novell
Knoppix

(the rest like Knoppix STD, LSA, UBCD, G4U ect are more or less tool OSs)

perfer W2K over XP
voted W2K (as thats what the vast majority of my aps are run on)

Win Xp here, though I really really really hate calling the forking indianisians everytime I wanna reformat... There has to be a better method of piracy protection, hell :rolleyes:

Back