Guys, looking for the absolute best Wireless B router.

diabx0r

Weaksauce
Can you guys point me in the right direction?

I am looking for the absolute best Wireless B (G would be ok too) router out there.

Also, and I'm sure it'll be whoever makes this "best router", but I also want to know what the most reliable company is as well (Linksys, D-Link, etc...)

A lot of people seem to like D-Link over Linksys, and I own a Linksys atm... it's the BEFW11S4 or something to that effect.

I really don't like this router... I seem to get a crapload of packet loss through it.

Any advice is welcomed!

Thanks a bunch! :cool:

Any price range?

Check out enterprise grade.. cisco orinoco etc

Well, there isn't a price range, but it IS for home use... 2-4 comps max.

I doubt I could justify buying something of that caliber for home use... especially casual home use.

:-D

Anything else?

Someone recommended the wireless G Linksys.. dunno though.

:)

Maybe you should look at other factors that might be leading to your problems with your current router - like interference.

I would not buy anything 802.11b right now. Chances are you'll want to upgrade it to g soon and you'll just be wasting your money with b.

I really dislike the D-link routers. Check out the d-link forums at broadbandreports too and you'll see how many people are also dissatisfied with them.

get a linksys WRT54G.
best home router you can buy, hands down. and you can put it in B-only mode if you desire.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific.

I personally don't use the wireless, but someone in my house does.

As far as the packet loss goes, it's on all connections.

I am looking at the WRT54G atm, as it's been recommended by a bunch of people.

I don't think I can justify spending the cash on those 400-900 dollar cisco routers, although I am sure they are amazing.

Thanks for all of the responses so far!

:)

I'd have to give linksys the nod as well...I have a BEFW11S4 and have gotten flawless service from it........plus if you ever do have to call linksys tech service.......you'll get someone that speaks fluent English and is interested in solving your problem

try getting the Linksys WRT54GS instead of the WRT54G. The hardware inside is a little better and the Sveasoft firmware hack gives it even more capabilities. I'm getting one myself very soon and have nothing but good things about it. I've seen it for $100 on amazon.

Back