Guys i need some help adding a secondary wireless Router seteup help

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Well to make a long story short , switched from At&T to Comcast and the All in one wireless router / modem is not compatiable with all 3 of my Xbox 360s ( they dont Connect they can see it but simply fail. The model that i have from comcast is the two in one Arris modem and router. Know i find this very wierd since my Ipads, Iphones,Wii, Wii U, Ps 3, Laptops, 3 other Pcs and my HTPC have no problems with this. What i want to do is add another router that is Xbox 360 supported, how tough is it to do? I know Google is my friend but i like the expierience of fellow Hardocpers!

To be perfectly honest you should forego using the wireless functionality of that gateway and strictly use your own access point for wireless. With that Arris device you are not only at the whim of Arris for firmware updates, but also Comcast to push those updates to your modem.

A quick search indicates that this has been issue for many months, so if Comcast hasn't fixed it by now...

As a wired router I'm sure the Arris gateway will suffice. So, you simply get an access point for your network and hang it off one of the routed LAN ports on the Arris. Second option would be to put the modem in bridge mode and use your own wireless router behined it. Best yet would be to the ditch the gateway altogether and get a standard cable modem and wireless router.

I wouldn't suggest an all-in-one cable modem gateway to anyone, but those who have the simplest wireless needs,

If You decide to get another router instead of an access point, just disable dhcp on the new router. Plug a cable in Your old router on the lan side and run it to one of the lan side ports of the new router.

Did this on a few older linksys routers and worked fine.

Edit:

Oh, and also assign it an IP out of Your old routers dhcp range but withen the same subnet. Like this.

main router 192.168.1.1
dhcp range 192.168.1.100-150
new router 192.168.1.199

That should work for Ya.

Last edited:
If You decide to get another router instead of an access point, just disable dhcp on the new router. Plug a cable in Your old router on the lan side and run it to one of the lan side ports of the new router.

Did this on a few older linksys routers and worked fine.

Edit:

Oh, and also assign it an IP out of Your old routers dhcp range but withen the same subnet. Like this.

main router 192.168.1.1
dhcp range 192.168.1.100-150
new router 192.168.1.199

That should work for Ya.

I did essentially the same thing with my Linksys E2000 (or whatever goofy router I have). Turned off DHCP, set it to 192.168.80.2 (my firewall/DHCP server is 80.1) and everyone's behind my firewall when connected wirelessly, including cell phones, tablets and laptops. :)

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!! You all made it very easy for me to understand, Who needs Google ;)

These cable modems with built in routers are the worst headache ever. If you talk to the right person they can disable the router ("bridge it") but 1) you loose access to the statistics page and 2) If somehow the device gets reset/defaulted (say after a firmware upgrade, calling for support, etc) you will have to find the same mythical person at Comcast to bridge it again.

Personally I would not accept anything less than a plain unmolested DOCSIS 3 modem.

Back