Guys--Help me out.

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, to make a long story short, my dumbass parents want to get a guy to set up their new home theater entertainment system in their home. He came up with a list of equipment he'd install, and I looked at the spec list, and it looks like the guy has picked out crappy speakers (bose). I'm not familiar with all this. Here is the list:

-Denon AVR 991 av RecIever $800
- OMNI-S10 SUB $500
- RUSSOUND CAA4. 4ZONES/ 4SOURCE WITH KEYPADS $1400ea. $2800
- BOSE 191 HOME THEATER SPEAKERS $300/ PAIR-$750
- BOSE 151 OUTDOOR SPEAKERS $290/PAIR
- Samsung -59" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / 3D Plasma HDTV $2100 INSTALLATION, HDMI CABLES, WALL PLATES, MISCELLANEOUS HARDWARE/CABLES. $1200 Let me know what you thInk and I could put It on a fInal draft. Thanks

My dad has a budget of $5000, what are some better speakers we could get besides the bose? Is the sammy plasma any good? For $5000, what better equipment could my parents get instead of that list?

Don't get a plasma or those bose whatever they do.

Denon makes fantastic receivers, that one looks nice.

I like Infinity, Boston Acoustics, and Cerwin-Vega for home audio.

with a budget of 5k the guy said bose. Now before i get shit for saying no bose i love my companions but with a budget ok 5k yo9u can do so much better.

Harman/Kardon AVR 2600 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver $549.99 on newegg

4x Klipsch R-5800-W $399 each 2 for the front 2 for the rear

1x Klipsch R5502W Center channel $399

1x Velodyne VX-11 10" black 100W powered subwoofer can be had for around $175

that comes to about $2500 for the stereo

Mitsubishi Diamond Series WD-73838 73-Inch 3D DLP HDTV around $1750-$2000 yes its a dlp but go see one in person i had the 73 in now i have the 82 in best picture on a tv ive seen to date.
If he has to have a flat panel i would suggest
LG 55" 1080p 120Hz Wireless LCD HDTV 55LH85 newegg $1299.

with a budget of 5k the guy said bose. Now before i get shit for saying no bose i love my companions but with a budget ok 5k yo9u can do so much better.

Harman/Kardon AVR 2600 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver $549.99 on newegg

4x Klipsch R-5800-W $399 each 2 for the front 2 for the rear

1x Klipsch R5502W Center channel $399

1x Velodyne VX-11 10" black 100W powered subwoofer can be had for around $175

that comes to about $2500 for the stereo

Mitsubishi Diamond Series WD-73838 73-Inch 3D DLP HDTV around $1750-$2000 yes its a dlp but go see one in person i had the 73 in now i have the 82 in best picture on a tv ive seen to date.
If he has to have a flat panel i would suggest
LG 55" 1080p 120Hz Wireless LCD HDTV 55LH85 newegg $1299.

Much better list than original post. Bose...LOL. I think you can still do better than this, but I gotta run to the gym right now :).

Edit: Here is another cheaper possibly better alternative for in walls, specifically the M3 in your price range.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html

The reviews and feedback on these speakers are excellent, check the professional reviews too.

I still think HK has the best sound out of all the major receiver brands, including over my Denon. However HK is lacking some features, specifically the ability to do speakers A, B, A+B, but that won't affect you since you have a speaker switch on there.

I have these speakers outside right now and they rock, JBL Studio S36AW. They owned the polk atrium 6 outdoors I had prior;
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Performan...32GG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1306206548&sr=8-5

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll second the recommendations for Klipsch over the Bose, also look into polk, I personally think they are way underrated.

Man for 5K the options are endless. Go to a decent audio store (if you have one) and demo some stuff. What sounds good to one person may not sound good to another. Also with 5K, do not mix and match brands(except sub) and maybe rears as they are not that important. Put most of your budget into the best, sub, fronts and center channel speakers you like or you can get your hands on.

Bose is crap.

Paying somebody 1200 dollars to mount a plasma, is just f*cking lazy. It's a 30 minute job for 2 people. After 6 months, i bet you don't use that stupid multi-zone audio system either. I know when i do stuff like this for my business, i generally don't mark up product at all, i make all my money through labor. The reason being, you can google an AVR991 and clearly see it's 200 dollars cheaper on amazon. I have ordered stuff from newegg before for customers instead of my distributor because it was cheaper, and fair.

I would kick this little stereo guy in the junk a few times. I'm not entirely sure he knows what he's doing(other than making money off your family).

After 6 months, i bet you don't use that stupid multi-zone audio system either. I know when i do stuff like this for my business, i generally don't mark up product at all, i make all my money through labor.

I hope you are charging for support of those products then since you aren't making any margin on the product, there is nothing wrong with making a profit, doesn't mean you have to rape customers either.

And all of my customer love multizone systems if they work properly, I only sell ones I know work and wont cause lots of trouble down the line.

I hope you are charging for support of those products then since you aren't making any margin on the product, there is nothing wrong with making a profit, doesn't mean you have to rape customers either.

And all of my customer love multizone systems if they work properly, I only sell ones I know work and wont cause lots of trouble down the line.

If they need support call then obviously they are billed for the labor.

Man i dunno about the multizone, i guess it is much better now that you can change songs with ipad controllers and stream things from your ipad/iphone. But the 15 or so i put in before this technology in the last year or so... they rarely get used, if at all.

Then again, i would say most of the entire theaters rarely get used. Rich people are busy, they want this stuff, and sometimes use it, but in reality they spend most their time working.

Bose makes pretty good surrounds, but over priced. Plasma is fine depending on what is being watched and how the room is setup. Plasma does not do well with glare so if it is a brightly lit room or has lots of windows he might want to look at another display.

It also has image retention issues so if your dad wants a stock sticker or watches channels/inputs with static images it might not be a good fit for him.

Rich people are busy, they want this stuff, and sometimes use it, but in reality they spend most their time working.

I agree, that's why you can charge them a premium for the installation and making sure it is perfectly setup. BUT be ready to take it in the shorts if you did it wrong or they can't use it when they want to. They have very little time but when they do have a short time to relax they want the absolute best experience possible, whatever that may be (vacations, watching movies in their own private theater, hunting other people for sport, etc.)

I have owned two companies that perform services for the wealthy, and if you can understand what they want you can make a ton of money off them, but be prepared to do the job perfectly or else your clients will vanish overnight.

I can save you money on your receiver.

You can get the Denon AVR-991 here for $650and 6 AV is an authorized Denon retailer so you do get the full Denon warranty.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=DENAVR991

I do recommend the Denon AVR-991, it's an excellent receiver. 0.05 THD rated amps, tons of power, 7.2 outputs, Audyssey MultiEQ-EX (the high end version), Networking capability including AirPlay and UPnP media streaming.

Back