• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gushing about Torchlight

Ricedaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
1,127
I realize that this has likely been done, but Torchlight is the tits.

I played it for hours over at my buddies place without even realizing it, and just picked it up for myself with the steam sale.

If you haven't played it and you like dungeon crawlers, get it and enjoy your holiday weekend.
 
Definitely a fun game. I've gone through something like six generations plus a couple of additional playthroughs. All as Destroyer; I either can't get into the other two classes or don't care to play anything else. I think I'm sitting at around four top-end crystals at this point.

Mad clickage tendonitis game.
 
diablo 2 is one of the only games i have lost HOURS playing.

Started playing at like 7pm and didnt stop till about 6am.

it was a proper wtf momemnt.
 
Definitely a fun game. I've gone through something like six generations plus a couple of additional playthroughs. All as Destroyer; I either can't get into the other two classes or don't care to play anything else. I think I'm sitting at around four top-end crystals at this point.

Mad clickage tendonitis game.

I guess this is how I sound to friends that don't play WoW. /clueless
 
I played torchlight about 17 minutes. It was fun, but so simplified i just never got back to playing it more.

For 5 bucks though its a good buy i suppose.
 
I played torchlight about 17 minutes. It was fun, but so simplified i just never got back to playing it more.

For 5 bucks though its a good buy i suppose.

I finished the storyline, but I have trouble really getting into a game like that without multiplayer. Too much of it felt randomly generated, much like a single player version of the games Mythos and Dungeon Runners (if you ever played those).
 
reminds me when I was in high school at a friends house and started playing Baldurs Gate 2. I was lets just say "blazed" and literally lost all concept of time. Well his parents were wondering what was wrong with me lol
 
It's great how they have custom mod classes as well, though Destroyer rules. He has attack spells anyway and they allow for some healing.
 
what I don't like about this game is that you have to mod it to be playable. vanilla torchlight sucks imo, but with mods it's pretty good. all the chunky ui bezels on the loot, the whole id scroll mechanic, weapon enchanting, quest rewards, etc, just so many horrible design decisions that totally wreck an otherwise great game. good thing it can all be changed easily, I modded the crap out of this before ever playing through it, with about 20-30 mods installed at any time, there's a ton out there that adds/fixes so much in the game.

another thing that makes it really tough to play is the targeting system, very aggrevating for the ranged classes sometimes. if runic were to polish up core mechanics like this, I'm sure they could have done even better than the half million or so copies they sold.
 
Loved the game. My only wish would be for LAN style action like Titan Quest or something, where you can team with your buddies and play through it. Supposedly they are coming out with some kind of MMO variant that might be just what I'm looking for.
 
I thought it was just a shell of a game. Enjoy it for as long as you can, because I lost interest pretty quickly after about 1 day.

The quests got old fast: 1. Kill this mob on this floor. 2. Find this item on this floor.

The mob level scaling make it feel like you're not getting more powerful. Especially since most talents were stuff like "You do 1% more damage".

Map generation wasn't fun because the way you are going is always generated as the correct path and the other paths are then closed off. So all you really have to do is run straight in one direction and once enough of the map is has been generated, it will create the stairs to the next level for you.

Getting new items wasn't fun because the way to get the best items was to just enchant the same item over and over. Oh, this boss dropped a unique item? Well I got some random green that's been enchanted a couple times that's better.

Allocating stats wasn't fun because right from level 1, you got it all planned out. Something like 3 points in your main stat, 2 points in defense.
 
I guess this is how I sound to friends that don't play WoW. /clueless

Heh..

Destroyer = melee class

You can have 'ancestors' in the game by retiring one character after finishing the main quest, and pass one item to your descendent. That item has some enchantments added to it.

Gems can be inserted into gem slots in weapons and armor that support it. There are various color gems that add buffs/damage (eg, green adds poison damage when applied to weps and poison resistance when applied to armor). Two identical gems (same color and level) can be combined to create the next level gem, thus the highest level gem (level 10) is 512 level 1 gems combined together. Gem names indicate the level (Cracked, Dull, Discolored, [gem name], Cut, Polished, Star, Flawless, Perfect and Named.)

Getting new items wasn't fun because the way to get the best items was to just enchant the same item over and over. Oh, this boss dropped a unique item? Well I got some random green that's been enchanted a couple times that's better.

Sort of untrue IMO. I found 'Gold' items (highest base level of enchantment) that bested anything of lesser quality. Of course, you can still enchant gold items...
 
Game definitely needs mods, but even vanilla Torchlight was okay for the $3 or so that I paid for it. There's just a ridiculous amount of mods out there from fishing to gems, items, socket methods, graphics, classes, enemies, etc. I think I had about 134 mods applied last time I played, but the great thing is that it didn't slow down at all. Even tried it on a friends netbook and performance was on par with vanilla :D
 
I really enjoyed Mythos but haven't touched Torchlight since getting it on sale.

I will have to check the mods out... one race and no tinkerer class, wtf?
 
I was debating picking this up. Guess I'll grab it tonight if it's still 75% off.
 
Anyone got a list of decent mods? I stopped playing Torchlight due to the lack of depth (no rune system, boring talent trees, sucky loot, no feeling of getting stronger)
 
Anyone got a list of decent mods? I stopped playing Torchlight due to the lack of depth (no rune system, boring talent trees, sucky loot, no feeling of getting stronger)

these are the must-haves imo, but there are many more great mods that I didn't list since they're a matter of taste, or have file conflicts that you have to edit/merge yourself, you can find them all at http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/ :

BetterBalancedSalePrices - so there is a point to picking up and selling loot, but still balanced
BetterQuestRewards - make quests actually worth doing
Champions Mod - spawn a "champion" enemy on each floor, better challenge and loot
Darkfirebird's Pet Mod - make every fishable pet in the game available as main pet instead of just the default 3
EnchantMod - fuck that wizard, why would you pay to wipe all your enchants? changes to a sane system that just makes each enchant more expensive
FishMash - adds a few levels of fish sizes for variation
GGO - gale's gem overhaul, because the original gems suck
LiteHUD - clean up the useless crap around your hud
MerchantPack - adds a whole bunch of merchants in town, so it looks like a real town, instead of like 3 guys that sell everything
MoreMaps - more portal maps
NE-AlwaysIdentified - having to indentify every piece of trash is annoying, wtf were they thinking
NewStash - adds a whole bunch of chests in town to fit all your loot
potionsSTACKSIZE - 20 potion/scroll stack limit is retarded, changes to a reasonable 200 limit
Small-Floaty-Text - so you can actually see what you're killing
Starch2 - better missions from starch, so he has a reason to exist
Total Respec - buy respec potions in town to redo your skill/spell points

you can also install the torchleech mod manager to download most of these for you, but I don't like to rely on it since they have to approve and edit the mods. so who knows when newly submitted ones would be available, very useful to check for file conflicts though.

steam forums has a good list too:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095390
 
Last edited:
That's so strange. I never applied a single mod and played it just fine. I think I got to around floor 17 before some other game was bought on sale and sucked up my attention. I downloaded TorchLeech anyway.
 
I put 22 hours into Torchlight before I got bored and moved on. It was a great deal at the $20 I paid for it when it came out. Now that it's on sale, any fan of hack 'n' slash RPGs owes it to themselves to pick it up.
 
these are the must-haves imo, but there are many more great mods that I didn't list since they're a matter of taste, or have file conflicts that you have to edit/merge yourself, you can find them all at http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/ :

BetterBalancedSalePrices - so there is a point to picking up and selling loot, but still balanced
BetterQuestRewards - make quests actually worth doing
Champions Mod - spawn a "champion" enemy on each floor, better challenge and loot
Darkfirebird's Pet Mod - make every fishable pet in the game available as main pet instead of just the default 3
EnchantMod - fuck that wizard, why would you pay to wipe all your enchants? changes to a sane system that just makes each enchant more expensive
FishMash - adds a few levels of fish sizes for variation
GGO - gale's gem overhaul, because the original gems suck
LiteHUD - clean up the useless crap around your hud
MerchantPack - adds a whole bunch of merchants in town, so it looks like a real town, instead of like 3 guys that sell everything
MoreMaps - more portal maps
NE-AlwaysIdentified - having to indentify every piece of trash is annoying, wtf were they thinking
NewStash - adds a whole bunch of chests in town to fit all your loot
potionsSTACKSIZE - 20 potion/scroll stack limit is retarded, changes to a reasonable 200 limit
Small-Floaty-Text - so you can actually see what you're killing
Starch2 - better missions from starch, so he has a reason to exist
Total Respec - buy respec potions in town to redo your skill/spell points

you can also install the torchleech mod manager to download most of these for you, but I don't like to rely on it since they have to approve and edit the mods. so who knows when newly submitted ones would be available, very useful to check for file conflicts though.

steam forums has a good list too:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095390

bookmarked, thanks.
 
I enjoyed the game, after I played through it once I didn't play it again. For someone that misses Diablo and wants a solid single player experience I'd certainly recommend it.
 
I enjoyed the game for a couple days but grew tired of it. Could be the lack of multiplayer, I dunno. But recently I went back and tried to install a bunch of mods (I never really liked the original classes) but it takes like 20 minutes to load when I do. Even just adding a Respec mod, it takes like 5 minutes to load the game. This is on an overclocked i7 and whatnots. I gave up after I found many people with the same issue but no solution.
 
Definitely a game i would revisit with multiplayer. Just didnt feel like spending my time on yet another hack n slash diablo clone.
 
Game is awesome. Needs multiplayer and such, but yea... great game. I beat it and I hardly looked back though. After one or maybe 2 go, you're done. =/

It's pity because this game had a lot of potential. Also... you get so OP so easily.
 
The only thing I thought really needed a mod to make the game playable was the map...I don't remember the name of the mod, but I found one that lightened the map and made it more visible, because the stock one was very hard to see.
 
Bought it during Steam sales too. I love how simple the game is (for an RPG game), and also the combat rather than running around a deserted map with few enemies here and there
 
I thought it was just a shell of a game. Enjoy it for as long as you can, because I lost interest pretty quickly after about 1 day.

The quests got old fast: 1. Kill this mob on this floor. 2. Find this item on this floor.

The mob level scaling make it feel like you're not getting more powerful. Especially since most talents were stuff like "You do 1% more damage".

Map generation wasn't fun because the way you are going is always generated as the correct path and the other paths are then closed off. So all you really have to do is run straight in one direction and once enough of the map is has been generated, it will create the stairs to the next level for you.

Getting new items wasn't fun because the way to get the best items was to just enchant the same item over and over. Oh, this boss dropped a unique item? Well I got some random green that's been enchanted a couple times that's better.

Allocating stats wasn't fun because right from level 1, you got it all planned out. Something like 3 points in your main stat, 2 points in defense.
That's how I felt. It was cool for a bit, but I lost interest.
 
I'm having a great time with the game. Some of the mods do help quite a bit, the always identified one in particular.

One of the reasons I'm having so much fun with the game is because of it's simplicity. I do wish it had multiplayer though. I picked up two copies of the Titan Quest gold pack on the steam sale just so my roommate and I could do a dungeon crawl together.
 
I'm having a great time with the game. Some of the mods do help quite a bit, the always identified one in particular.

One of the reasons I'm having so much fun with the game is because of it's simplicity. I do wish it had multiplayer though. I picked up two copies of the Titan Quest gold pack on the steam sale just so my roommate and I could do a dungeon crawl together.

Titan quest is awesome, too. You may want to download the latest fan patch for it, it fixes a lot of things. There are also tons of complete overhauls for TQ, new masteries, etc. If you ever look into those, I suggest the Underlord mod.
 
Titan quest is awesome, too. You may want to download the latest fan patch for it, it fixes a lot of things. There are also tons of complete overhauls for TQ, new masteries, etc. If you ever look into those, I suggest the Underlord mod.

Is it a pain to mod with the Steam version? For some reason I feel like I read something a while ago when Titan Quest came out that the Steam version was a nightmare to try to update and mod.
 
Back
Top