• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gulftown or Sandy bridge?

Stimz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
174
Looking to upgrade soon. I ordered a 6950 to replace my aging 9800gt.

I can get a i7 970 for about $240 shipped right now though the 29th. Should I pull the trigger on that or wait for Sandy Bridge? Or will my Q6600 with the 6950 be enough?

Specs in sig.
 
As would I. The Q6600 is still very capable so it will easily hold you over til the new toys come out.
 
At this point I'd wait for Sandy Bridge.

I agree. Even though the OP can get a i7-970 for $240 shipped, it's not worth it if he must also purchase a $200+ motherboard and $100 worth of DDR3 RAM (for 6GB). That makes the total upgrade well over $500 - and it's simply not worth the cost over the OP's existing LGA 775 quad-core platform unless the primary task that he'd be doing on that PC is CPU-intensive such as video editing/encoding.
 
I agree the Q6600 is still capable but only if its overclocked to 3.0-3.2 ghz.
 
i7 now...
I don't think anyone expects the graphics on SB to be competitive with discrete graphics cards, and that is what he'd want for running Premier Pro properly.

---------------------------


For enthusiasts I don't think that Sandy Bridge's graphics are even part of the equation. It's supposed to have improved IPC performance. Long story short, that's the selling point.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gulftown actually is the codename for hexacore CPUs so your thread title is a bit confusing as Sandy Bridge isn't a replacement for Gulftown.
 
For gaming, I'd go SB. For things like encoding or whatever where more threads = better, Gulftown.

Gulftown actually is the codename for hexacore CPUs so your thread title is a bit confusing as Sandy Bridge isn't a replacement for Gulftown.
Actually Gulftown is only for hexa-core CPUs based on Westmere. Initial SB CPUs will be quad-core max, but later there'll be hexa- and octo-core CPUs released.
 
Actually Gulftown is only for hexa-core CPUs based on Westmere. Initial SB CPUs will be quad-core max, but later there'll be hexa- and octo-core CPUs released.

Actually, those hexa- and octo-core SB CPUs will be Socket LGA 2011-exclusive. The initial LGA 1155 "mainstream" SB platform will be limited to quad-core CPUs.
 
Actually, those hexa- and octo-core SB CPUs will be Socket LGA 2011-exclusive. The initial LGA 1155 "mainstream" SB platform will be limited to quad-core CPUs.
Yeah, I know. But they'll still be desktop parts.
 
Where did you find a i7 970 for $240? That is like a $600-800+ processor...

If you did find it for that price I think you would be crazy to pass up on it IMO. There is no way you are going to get a SB processor that can match that one for $240.
 
Where did you find a i7 970 for $240? That is like a $600-800+ processor...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1567769

If you did find it for that price I think you would be crazy to pass up on it IMO. There is no way you are going to get a SB processor that can match that one for $240.

Well if the $250 i5 2500k rumors of getting to 5Ghz on air are true than I could see it being close. Although the i7 970 does have hyper-threading and 2 more cores. My q6600 might be able to last me for a little while longer.

I'll have to do some tests when I get my 6950 to see how everything works out.
 
Where did you find a i7 970 for $240? That is like a $600-800+ processor...

If you did find it for that price I think you would be crazy to pass up on it IMO. There is no way you are going to get a SB processor that can match that one for $240.

This..

If you were talking about an i7-750 then yes wait, But your talking about an intel hex core.. They wont have anything to replace it for a while yet.. And when they do it wont be cheap. Plus you can still overclock the 970 to ~4ghz
 
Yah if you can get the i7 970 for that price don't pass it up! I can almost guarantee you a $240 SB is not going to be able to top an $800 Gulftown Hexa core.
 
Yah if you can get the i7 970 for that price don't pass it up! I can almost guarantee you a $240 SB is not going to be able to top an $800 Gulftown Hexa core.

Actually, early benchmarks show the 2600K running neck and neck with the i7 970 at stock speeds, both in games and applications. I'm speculating that the 2600K will come out on top in overclocking
 
Last edited:
Actually, early benchmarks show the 2600K running neck and neck with the i7 970 at stock speeds, both in games and applications. I'm speculating that the 2600K will come out on top in overclocking

I seriously want to see those benchmarks..

I believe that Sandy bridge will be a good upgrade for those on 1156, but I dont see a hell of alot of people making the jump from 1366 to 1155.. & The benchmarks I found put it a little faster then an i7-875k, But thats nowhere near the same cpu as an i7-970
 
Back
Top