Guitar Hero = Fail, better idea!

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
They should make a game where you can actually hookup a real electric guitar, and people could learn how to play the guitar at the very basic level and get good at it and have fun while learning and overcoming their weak spots. Then the game should have a standard format for sheet music, and sheet music can be imported to the game to be played through the game. The sheet music should not only be importable to the game, but viewable and printable on a computer for actual/live use (at a concert or something for example).

I know that if there were a game like this that used a real guitar to train and teach people and enhance people's skills, I would become an addict and end up "mastering" it before I'd even realize the skill I've built up.

Guitar Hero wasn't exactly made for this though, as most people would probably think the game is too hard and difficult at first try and then just give up; they wouldn't be interested enough to give the game a chance. Besides, it's cheaper for the Guitar Hero developers to use a wannabe fake baby's toy guitar. Instead of players having to learn how to actually play a guitar (while having fun and challenge by the game, etc), anyone could easily just grab a stupid toy guitar and press buttons and role play and idolize themselves as retarded douchebag rockstars.

EDIT :: I don't care if "this game idea" would be for a console or PC, thus why I posted in the General Gaming forum rather than platform specific.

EDIT2 :: I have never played Guitar Hero and have no intention of doing so.

Last edited:
I have a better idea: How bout no more Guitar Hero games? Its pretty much Madden at this point.

I thought it was cool to be an anti guitar hero and rock band snob until I actually played them earlier this year and had a great time.

Fun > everything

I would honestly rather learn how to play a real guitar than waste my time pretending like I know how to.

I would honestly rather learn how to play a real guitar than waste my time pretending like I know how to.

Would you rather jump on real mushrooms than play mario, or shoot real people than play crysis? Would you rather take dancing classes than play DDR? GH and RB don't exist to teach you to play guitar, they exist to have fun in a rhythm matching game while having fun with friends.

Yeah struggling to play a full sized, 6 string guitar to chord/note charts scrolling quickly on a television sounds like a really fun party game that anyone can sit down and immediately enjoy.

you never played it... so your opinion on the game is based on nothing. Thats what i call a poor opinion.

Fun is everything... i had a blast playing rock band with my friends.

Guitar Hero is kinda fun in small doses...

...but I like the OP's idea of a "game" that helps you learn how to play an electric guitar. I'm sure an application like this already exists for the PC, but it might be a neat addition to the console game collection. You'd have to figure out how to connect an electric guitar to a console though. I don't think they have the same inputs that a PC has.,,

They should make a game where you can actually hookup a real electric guitar, and people could learn how to play the guitar at the very basic level and get good at it and have fun while learning and overcoming their weak spots. Then the game should have a standard format for sheet music, and sheet music can be imported to the game to be played through the game. The sheet music should not only be importable to the game, but viewable and printable on a computer for actual/live use (at a concert or something for example).

I know that if there were a game like this that used a real guitar to train and teach people and enhance people's skills, I would become an addict and end up "mastering" it before I'd even realize the skill I've built up.

Guitar Hero wasn't exactly made for this though, as most people would probably think the game is too hard and difficult at first try and then just give up; they wouldn't be interested enough to give the game a chance. Besides, it's cheaper for the Guitar Hero developers to use a wannabe fake baby's toy guitar. Instead of players having to learn how to actually play a guitar (while having fun and challenge by the game, etc), anyone could easily just grab a stupid toy guitar and press buttons and role play and idolize themselves as retarded douchebag rockstars.

EDIT :: I don't care if "this game idea" would be for a console or PC, thus why I posted in the General Gaming forum rather than platform specific.

I agree, Heaven forbid they make a game where people learn something. I'm so sick of people talking about Guitar Hero like they can really play a guitar. I think South-Park did an episode on this.

I thought it was cool to be an anti guitar hero and rock band snob until I actually played them earlier this year and had a great time.

Fun > everything

As a guitar player for 10 years, and a drummer for 15+ years, I felt the same way. I was a snob in the sense that I felt Guitar Hero and Rock Band mocked real guitar players (this was in my head) by putting the player in front of a crowd, and giving them songs to play, without having any prior knowledge of guitar playing. After playing it myself, I never had the sense of it being a real guitar, more of a sense that its just a rhythm game, a "Simon Says", if you will. No longer am I a snob about the games.

My sense of being mocked came from actually knowing a few people who actually said they knew how to play guitar when they've only played Guitar Hero.

However, in the OP's regard, something like that isn't hard, but it has a very specific targeted demographic. Since GH/RB can take microphone input, and actually judge based on tone, pitch, etc... it should be rather easy for them to program this for guitars and basses.

I agree, Heaven forbid they make a game where people learn something. I'm so sick of people talking about Guitar Hero like they can really play a guitar. I think South-Park did an episode on this.

I have *never* seen a single person mention gh as if it was like playing a real guitar. its not even suppose to be like playing a real guitar, its just a rythmn matching game for fun. holding the guitar controller suits the gameplay.

also, since you seem to think people need to be learning something, you should probably go read an encyclopedia instead of posting on forums.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Guitar Hero is tons of fun, and I still love buying it and playing new songs.

Would you rather jump on real mushrooms than play mario, or shoot real people than play crysis? Would you rather take dancing classes than play DDR? GH and RB don't exist to teach you to play guitar, they exist to have fun in a rhythm matching game while having fun with friends.

Those aren't even valid comparisons..

Nobody has access to a nano suit, and why would you shoot random people? You cannot do those things in real life, but you can play a guitar.

Nobody has access to a nano suit, and why would you shoot random people? You cannot do those things in real life, but you can play a guitar.

you can shot all kinds of people playing paintball. so why do people play any fps games?

you can't take dancing classes instead of playing DDR? Funny you ignored that one.

I cant say that I like Guitar Hero, and I cant say I like your idea any better :p

Sorry, but it would just be too hard and involved for the masses.

People think they're good at guitar hero, not guitar. Just like douches who love to brag about how awesome they are at halo and whatnot, and don't actually think they can kill people in real life.

Says more about you than them.

You realize you can play guitar hero with the regular xbox controller right?

Kinda takes the bang out of your "nobody can learn instruments with these crappy games" argument eh?

Or you can play Guitar Hero with an actual electronic drum set. Sure, it's not a guitar - but it's a real instrument.

you can shot all kinds of people playing paintball. so why do people play any fps games?

I do play paintball.

You have to go during a specific time, it costs a pretty penny if you want anything nice, you need to maintain your gear and guns religiously, and you cannot shoot zombies or run over anyone with a tank.

The end.

Once again, lol@ a topic comparing video games to real life.

You people need to lighten up.

Most people would prefer the one of the other, but it's expensive and hard to get a group together. Also, fps games also have a story element.

Guitar Hero = win. It's one of the few games that you can come back to after a night out, with a random group of people, and just play for fun. It's social, it doesn't matter if you're good or bad, and for the most part, you're not competing against one another. Plus even for the people not playing, you're listening to some decent tunes, so everyone's happy.

I've heard the idea of using it as a learning tool with real guitars, and that would be awesome. To be honest, shouldn't it be a simple task? Have some kind of setup screen where people play their guitar chords, and match them up to the colors. You wouldn't need any fancy hardware, just a microphone that can distinguish the sounds.

Great idea; It would never sell as a game though. I could see software like this costing much more than a game would($120 minimum, and that's low IMO for software like this). IIRC there was a game for...NES(I think) that did the same thing with an electronic keyboard. You've probably never heard of it, so that should probably give you an idea of how well it sold.

Most people playing GH or RB aren't people who would ever otherwise learn to play the guitar. And besides, learning to play an instrument well is hard work, pretty much the opposite of what games are supposed to be. Games should be accessible, easy to pick up and have fun with but perhaps hard to master the very far reaches of. That's one of the reasons IMO that the Wii is so popular; Anyone and everyone can just pick it up and do well enough to have fun playing against friends. GH and RB appeal not because they offer great challenges for the dedicated player, but because they offer an accessible title for the casual one. People who want to learn how to play a guitar aren't buying video games to do it.

This quote fucking pisses me off.. You sound like... Not to be intentionally rude, but you sound like a fucking asshole... Nobody plays these games with the aspirations of becoming real guitar players afterwords...Nobody.. rofl perhaps except you dude... Guitar hero and these games have.. and I repeat, have NEVER been marketed or even realized as a real guitar game simulator nor a replacement for the learning of music and real instruments... THE GAME WAS MADE FOR FUN... To be specific, its original design is a rhythm game... Match the notes as they come by... ( Think if you possibly have a brain, I can't tell, of the PS1 game parappa the rappa.. (sp)... Same thing only stylized using instrument controllers... It isn't a giant leap in imagination and the concept works.. Guitar hero and rockband games are massive sellers b/c they are fun... Nobody buys the fucking games with the intention on bragging they can play a real guitar afterwords... I mean... who the fuck thinks this way? besides this guy I quoted...

You'd rather take the time to learn a real guitar??? it took me about 6 months of off and on playing of guitar hero to be able to pass every expert song on guitar.. not perfect, but pass every or most expert guitar hero songs... I've been playing real guitar for over 7 years and drums / percussion for almost 15 years now... 7 years and I still can't play anything challenging on guitar and I've put 100x the time into the real thing... Point is, the games are just that.. a game.. easy to learn, harder to master, but takes a fraction of the time and ability to learn than a real guitar... Nobody is " wasting their time " playing guitar hero and getting good at it... that statement is just, ridiculous and laughable....

Many people including kids, teenagers and adults who enjoy guitar hero and rock band like it simply b/c it is fun.. You can listen to good music while at the same time holding a controller that acts as an elaborate foot tap... thats it.. You are participating with the song using rhythm and the beat... How is this in any way taking away from real musical instruments??? I'd bet my LIFE these games only get people interested in playing a real instrument... My younger cousin is now playing acoustic guitar quite well actually and only started b/c he enjoyed playing guitar hero when he was younger...

People play BOTH.. Real instruments and rhythm games like guitar hero and rock band.. Only fucking jealous, and / or ignorant snobs try to compare the two, arguing that one ruins the other or vice versa... Give me a break.. I cannot roll my goddamn eyes enough in this post to prove my disgust over this attitude...

Oh and good.. you've never played guitar hero and never will... What a heroic statement.. Whats your reasoning? Cause you can play a real guitar? Good for you so can I, and I'd bet better than you and so can many who also play these games... What other reasons? You maybe did play, couldn't keep a beat if your life depended on it and so therefore, hardforum, create thread, bash game I suck at?? I don't get it? This Thread = FAIL.. The OP = Bigger FAIL... Better idea ??? Have fun when playing games, and learn2 realize one is a game and one is an instrument... Most 3 year olds have learned that however....

Better idea! Quit making threads that make you look so bloody stupid and ignorant... :rolleyes: x78237462702

It's all up to a personal choice, i play guitar, and tried guitar hero metallica at a friend's house once. I just couldn't get into it. Knowing chords of a song then having to relearn which button(s) to press instead, is frustrating. I'm sure its a fun game for those into rhythm games. Personally i'd rather play a real guitar and jam with the guys. I'm not saying those games suck or not, just i'm not into them and i see how there's such a big argument over it.

honestly if they want to make the games better, stop releasing different versions every 6 months lol. metallica, beatles, aerosmith, van halen.. so on.

I'll just /facepalm and never come back to this thread... my oh my some people's thought process just fight logic and reason... Where is the animal with the pancake on its head when you need it....

I play Guitar Hero/Rockband all of the time. It adds an extra layer of enjoyment to the music that I enjoy. I never thought it was anything like playing a real guitar.

However, it did raise my interest in learning to play a guitar. I picked up a Fretlight guitar and have started to learn. It is a bit more complicated than the saxophone I used to play but at least I have the foundation of being able to read sheet music.

Some people need to get over their instrument snobbery and just let people have fun.

Yeah struggling to play a full sized, 6 string guitar to chord/note charts scrolling quickly on a television sounds like a really fun party game that anyone can sit down and immediately enjoy.

This. Or, less sarcasically:

I used to be a Guitar Hero "hater" too (guitarist for over 12 years), that is until I played the game and realized what it was: a GAME, designed for you to have FUN. Playing real music isn't "fun" until you're good enough to play the songs you want to play, and that's precisely why the OP's idea is a failure; or, inversely, that's the reason GH/RB are so popular: it lets you have the "fun" of playing an instrument without the learning curve.

I'm not being "snobbish" there's the group it's aimed towards.. i'm just not one of them, the few times ive played I wasn't really excited over it. BUT there are those who are.. and props to them for being good at it. Guitarworld mentioned in an article last year that gh & rb supposedly has helped get people interested in playing instruments, if so, cool then.

I have been playing guitar for 8 years and find these games a lot of fun. It's just a game and a fun one at that. The cool thing is that by mastering Rock band drums on expert I was actually play drums because of it. I ended up buying an electric drum kit and I can now play the drums to the riffs I write when I want to do some rough demos.

I have been playing guitar for 8 years and find these games a lot of fun. It's just a game and a fun one at that. The cool thing is that by mastering Rock band drums on expert I was actually play drums because of it. I ended up buying an electric drum kit and I can now play the drums to the riffs I write when I want to do some rough demos.

I was going to mention something similar, though I already had experience with playing drums before ever touching Rock Band. It's pretty good rythym practice for sure.

instead of playing this stupid game, why don't you do something useful like learning to play guit....oh wait :D:D

Back