Guitar Hero 3 for PC

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi,

Apparently Guitar Hero 3 for the PC has been released @ BestBuy, but I can't find it anywhere else (friend works at BB). I have a question though, that I cannot find anywhere:

When playing the PC version, can you battle against other people that are playing the Xbox version? And vice versa, of course. I know you can do Xbox to Xbox, since that's what my friends do, but what about PC to Xbox?

Thanks in advance.

I might get the PC version just because it'd probably be 234579234759324 times easier to play custom songs on the PC version than the Xbox360....

I might get the PC version just because it'd probably be 234579234759324 times easier to play custom songs on the PC version than the Xbox360....

I don't see how it would be easier to play, but it sure would be easier to get the actual custom songs.

I picked it up the other day. Will post back with impressions later tonight.

More details are needed. Does it run at high resolutions? Can you play vs others online somehow? Are the media files really stereo, not mono like the Wii screwup (this will need to be patched)? If I have a PS2 guitar, can I hook it up via a PS2-USB converter and it work correctly, like it would for Freetar Hero or Frets on Fire?

Thanks!

I am going to get it tomorrow as well. I will post back my impressions as well. That is, if I am not too busy rocking out!:eek:

Played through a bit of it tonight. Works at widescreen resolutions unstretched and runs great on my system (flawless actually, kudos to Asypr). It does have online play (same as console versions) but you can play only against other PC versions. It is definitely in stereo and sounds great (Klipsch 2.1 system).

It should work with the PS2 controller, but I couldn't say for sure. Not to mention you can't buy the PC game separate from the controller.

I already bought it for PS2, can't justify the $100 for another guitar.

any word on who else is going to have it today? I really don't feel like driving all the way to best buy if I can at all avoid it.

I just picked up my copy that I'd reserved at Gamestop. I'm installing it now.

First thoughts... I can't believe there are no install instructions at all in the manual. And the install claims it's 4.36gb... a bit much for this kind of title IMO... but whatever, I'm 100% sure this game is going to rock.

well.....

it's guitar hero. there seems to be a problem with the on-line registration and in-game log in... but I'm sure they will have it resolved soon.

well.....

it's guitar hero. there seems to be a problem with the on-line registration and in-game log in... but I'm sure they will have it resolved soon.

the registration problems seem fixed.... and the i think the in-game log in was UE on my part... so yeah. everything is groovy now.

I'm 27. I enjoy all the latest games. Portal, Bioshock, HL2:EP2, TF2, GoW, ect ect. But two days ago the girlfriend had me try Guitar Hero 3 for her Wii. I'm hooked. Yesterday I went to the BB and bought GH3 for the PC. And this game rocks....pun intended.

The game runs superb on my BFG 8800GT OC. And the visuals are much better then the Wii. :) I didn't like the stickers it came with really and I felt like a kid again playing with stickers. haha. I used some Fort Minor stickers I had laying around instead for the most part.

GH3_2.jpg

gh3_1.jpg

I'm 27. I enjoy all the latest games. Portal, Bioshock, HL2:EP2, TF2, GoW, ect ect. But two days ago the girlfriend had me try Guitar Hero 3 for her Wii. I'm hooked. Yesterday I went to the BB and bought GH3 for the PC. And this game rocks....pun intended.

The game runs superb on my BFG 8800GT OC. And the visuals are much better then the Wii. :) I didn't like the stickers it came with really and I felt like a kid again playing with stickers. haha. I used some Fort Minor stickers I had laying around instead for the most part.

I did the same thing. My brother has it on the Wii and after playing it I was hooked. Funny thing is I have always thought Guitar Hero was stupid and I didn't see the draw to the game. Now I do :D .

Quick question though, do you get occasional slowdowns (I have had maybe 3 since I started playing). It causes the game to crawl to a near stop for about 3-4 seconds at a time, but it doesn't happen often. I am unsure to the cause because I have had it happen on easy when virtually nothing is happening on the screen. In other words it seems to be random. The game runs flawlessly otherwise at a high widescreen resolution and maxed graphic settings. I have read about the same problem in the Gamespy review, just curious if it is widespread.

I did the same thing. My brother has it on the Wii and after playing it I was hooked. Funny thing is I have always thought Guitar Hero was stupid and I didn't see the draw to the game. Now I do :D .

Quick question though, do you get occasional slowdowns (I have had maybe 3 since I started playing). It causes the game to crawl to a near stop for about 3-4 seconds at a time, but it doesn't happen often. I am unsure to the cause because I have had it happen on easy when virtually nothing is happening on the screen. In other words it seems to be random. The game runs flawlessly otherwise at a high widescreen resolution and maxed graphic settings. I have read about the same problem in the Gamespy review, just curious if it is widespread.

No. I haven't had any slowdown at all. Makes me wonder if there is something running in the background that may be affecting you. Even my avast anti-virus and myspace messages can't phase the game.

We have GH3 on the PS2 @ work and its tough on expert - but not impossible (except for Dragonforce, dear god..). Definitely addicting and fun.

So here's the million dollar question...
Would it be possible to use the Wii controller and guitar for the PC version?
Just thinking that it'd be easier and cheaper for user created content for the pc version, but don't want to shell out for another guitar version...

No. I haven't had any slowdown at all. Makes me wonder if there is something running in the background that may be affecting you. Even my avast anti-virus and myspace messages can't phase the game.
Doubtful, unfortunately. I generally play games with nothing running in the background. Thanks for the reply though.

So here's the million dollar question...
Would it be possible to use the Wii controller and guitar for the PC version?
Just thinking that it'd be easier and cheaper for user created content for the pc version, but don't want to shell out for another guitar version...

modders had the Wiimote working on the PC via bluetooth within a few months I doubt they'll have any problems with the guitar.

http://www.wiihacking101.com/node/11

Wow I went and played guitar hero 3 on a 360 on a 720p tv. Wow does the pc version look better, worlds better, not to mention that it loads so fast I can't see the loading screens, which is actually kinda unfortunate.

Also has anybody made any progress, or know of anyone who has, towards making custom songs? or the eta of downloadable content.

Wow I went and played guitar hero 3 on a 360 on a 720p tv. Wow does the pc version look better, worlds better, not to mention that it loads so fast I can't see the loading screens, which is actually kinda unfortunate.

Also has anybody made any progress, or know of anyone who has, towards making custom songs? or the eta of downloadable content.

There are custom song-versions for the 360, though not legal. So I would imagine PC ones won't be long.

Only thing that sucks isnt there arent many online games at the moment. And so far I dont think you can do online coop career?

I'm stoked for the inevitable release of the ability to play custom songs, or songs from the other ones I have.

It has to happen eventually :D

I'm assuming that you can use a 360 guitar with the pc version, can anyone verify this?

anybody know if the game works in vista x64? the sys reqs say its not supported

works fine. most games aren't "officially supported" in that they aren't 64 bit themselves. The only thing us 64 bitters have to worry about being incompatible are drivers.

I'm stoked for the inevitable release of the ability to play custom songs, or songs from the other ones I have.

It has to happen eventually :D

This is exactly why I didn't buy the PS2 version. I don't have any of them actually but I am so looking forward to custom songs in the future. I picked my copy up tonight along with Crysis Special Ed. and even managed to convinse a friend at work to get it for PC too (and to try the Crysis demo). I'll have to wait till tomorrow to play though cause I don't want to wake the wife in the middle of the night rockin' it out.

Back