guild wars 2

Foronine

n00b
So should I go for amd or nvidia flavor on the guild wars 2 engine? Just looking for educated guesses on how the 7970 and 680 will perform on my 2560x1600 monitor.

i think both would be very good for that resolution. they are neck and neck in overall performance, but the 7970 is cheaper IIRC

Have you seen the minimum requirements for GW2?

Either card will be just fine at that resolution - hell a 7870 might be plenty for max settings at that resolution too.

I guess I'll wait and see if my trusty 470 is up to it. Tera was pushing me below 40 fps which isn't ideal.

Can't wait for the Guild Wars 2 beta this weekend and see how my PC runs it. This will determine my upgrade path.

Keep in mind that gpu optimization is about one of the last things developers do with games, and alot of the time, there will be a new gpu driver that helps performance, especially with a big game like this.

Beta's may not be the best way to determine if your comp is up to the task.

Same thing with tera - 40fps now could mean a steady 60fps at launch with optimization and updated drivers.

I'm pretty sure my 5870 will be fine to max out my settings at 1920x1200. I am in the beta weekend next weekend so I will report back with my experience. Specs in my sig.

Me too. Also, your 470 = 5870 performance so I can report back on my performance.

Anyone who could tell you how various cards performed in the previous beta is under NDA. Part of the reason for the NDA is that performance in a beta is rarely indicative of performance at release (or even the next beta). Not to mention that there are usually new builds during beta events that might modify the performance - after all, public betas are the only chance for the developers to test things with massive numbers of players before release.

What can be pretty well guaranteed is that performance will not get worse from beta to release. So since you're intending to buy the game, pre-purchase GW2 and enter the beta this weekend with your current system. It's possible that you'll get good performance most of the time, but may suffer during large combats. Or it might suck all the time. Or it might maintain 60+FPS under all conditions. At least it gives you the opportunity to see if your current system might be OK without upgrading, and will help ArenaNet work out performance problems both in the client and the servers.

GW2 does not look demanding at all... good friend of mine is in the beta weekend so I will have to get his opinion, he runs a 920 @ 4GHz and 5850 I believe.

Putting gpu specs too high would take the 'Massively' out of MMO.

Don't forget just having high resolution textures is a big deal for an MMO & loading/stuttering issues. An SSD raises specs again...

If it's heavily instanced enough then it becomes easier, but the MMO aspect becomes questionable.

If the specs were too high, it would remind me of a certain Funcom game... ;)

Or they could just, you know, include high res textures and DX11 effects for the people who had current gen video cards, while keeping the game accessible through the simple use of sliders and checkboxes to tone it down for people who are still rocking xbox 360's.

But then idiots would complain "why doesn’t this game run well! it’s terrible!" when they went into the options and changed the default settings to the max. They think they should somehow be entitled to having it run with whatever settings they choose since they paid $60 for the game.

A little old, but the only thing the GW2 team has officially posted. With further optimization, it's possible the performance vs card could increase by release. Doesn't have your resolution, but some extrapolation may be possible.

gw2chart.jpg

I can tell you from experience as I was in the first beta weekend....
2500k @ 4.4Ghz, 560ti 448, 8 GB are my specs. I game @ 19x12 and there was some slowdown in some areas. Was not always butter smooth by any means. I would wait it out before making a purchase. The game is fucking awesome btw.

GW2 will stress most platforms during large scale pvp but chances are if you wanna favor one side, nvidia will have some part in this game so I guess you could say nvidia > ATI for gw2....MAYBE

I'm also running 2560x1600. My rig's specs are in my signature. I'll be playing the beta all weekend, so I'll let you know how both single and SLI GTX 570's handle busy zones.

I can tell you from experience ....

I think you'd better read your NDA. You could get yourself banned permanently from GW2. There's no NDA on the coming beta, so just wait until this time next week and then report on how it played.

Haven't played GW2 yet, will this weekend, but my experience with MMOs in the past is that they're often CPU limited due to all the people on screen and stuff. Usually slowdowns aren't from running out of gpu power.

Back