Guild wars 2 performance

Butter

Limp Gawd
I have a 7950 and I noticed yesterday that my FPS was bumped up from about 40-60FPS in the main world (Caledon forest and the next level) to about 45-70 recently. Same with being in the city I have seen a general 10+ FPS increase.

I was wondering how performance is for everyone else with the game?

All details maxed

In the city: 40-45

in the opening area: 45-70fps

pvp with lots of players 25-35fps

It's not bad as it was when I was in the weekend beta testing. They've released updates that have improved performance. So I am glad to see they're improving performance. My FPS at the main human city is around the 60's. It's been pretty steady and no major FPS drops or stuttering. But I am level 26.

Just received my 680 signature 2 today running @1120/1200 with 306.02 beta's, fired up GW2 and so far not too impressed over my 580. Not a real noticeable difference. Maybe a slight difference and a more steady frame rate, but not $525 bucks worth. I still disabled supersampling for a smoother experience overall, it's the random stuttering in games that gets on my fucking wick. It's a new game and hopefully they keep optimizing it, and Nvidia keeps working on better performance for it's new cards.

Framerates measured in frames per second is simply not good enough anymore, it needs to me measured in the sub second arena, and more importantly frame latency.
I haven't had much time with the new card but Batman Ark City runs a bit smoother, although still stutters like shit in dx11 with 8xcsaa and tessellation on high.

The next time i hear someone say hardware is WAY overpowered for what we're playing these days im gonna kick him in his junk. Though i think Windows PC is just a giant steamy turd of a pig of a platform, along with lazy coding by most dev's these days.

We may have powerful hardware in 2012, but to be able to get to the hardware and utilize it in an efficient manner through todays software is fucking garbage.

5040x1050 with a single 7970 and runs just fine 60-100fps.
I tend to adjust details until I have a good smooth fps, no issue even with WwW 50+ players bashing.

Just received my 680 signature 2 today running @1120/1200 with 306.02 beta's, fired up GW2 and so far not too impressed over my 580. Not a real noticeable difference. Maybe a slight difference and a more steady frame rate, but not $525 bucks worth. I still disabled supersampling for a smoother experience overall, it's the random stuttering in games that gets on my fucking wick. It's a new game and hopefully they keep optimizing it, and Nvidia keeps working on better performance for it's new cards.

Framerates measured in frames per second is simply not good enough anymore, it needs to me measured in the sub second arena, and more importantly frame latency.
I haven't had much time with the new card but Batman Ark City runs a bit smoother, although still stutters like shit in dx11 with 8xcsaa and tessellation on high.

The next time i hear someone say hardware is WAY overpowered for what we're playing these days im gonna kick him in his junk. Though i think Windows PC is just a giant steamy turd of a pig of a platform, along with lazy coding by most dev's these days.

We may have powerful hardware in 2012, but to be able to get to the hardware and utilize it in an efficient manner through todays software is fucking garbage.

While I don't doubt that more optimization can and should happen in GW2, this post is ridiculous. The fact is that GW2 and other MMOs are very heavily CPU-bound. That's why your graphics card utilization is not at 100% but your framerate is still not where you'd like it to be. But two examples of games with lingering performance issues doesn't mean the entire platform is infested with "lazy coding."

Last I checked there wasn't $525 price difference between the 680 and the 580. And if you read any of the reviews there isn't that much difference between the 680 and the 580 in performance either. You are paying for things like noise reduction, lower power use and cooler running.

I agree with you about some of the software coding but still doesn't explain why you expected the 680 to be way better than your 580?

While I don't doubt that more optimization can and should happen in GW2, this post is ridiculous. The fact is that GW2 and other MMOs are very heavily CPU-bound. That's why your graphics card utilization is not at 100% but your framerate is still not where you'd like it to be. But two examples of games with lingering performance issues doesn't mean the entire platform is infested with "lazy coding."

It's apparent GW2 is cpu intensive, but there's still a balance of gpu/cpu. And with a modern day quad core cpu running at 4ghz or above, gobs of system ram, and the fastest single gpu on planet Earth still yields frame latency and stuttering throughout?

I'll say again, the windows platform is a turd. Compared to the hardware and tech we have today? Take Prototype 2, it runs fine on 8yr old hardware(xbox)albeit at 720 with 4xaa. Then buy it for PC and run it on hardware that's literally 16 times the power and witness how shitty and stuttery the game runs compared.
Lazy coding? Sure. Crap assed platform? Yep.

There's so much overhead on a pc it's ridiculous. When you read about games from Valve running 300 times faster on a linux build and not come to the conclusion that Microsoft just plains sucks, then please enlighten me just how and why Windows as a gaming platform is so amazing?

Obviously the folks at Anet aren't lazy by any means, these guys are extremely talented and more than competent. But again, the tech we have today is simply going to waste on many levels.

It's apparent GW2 is cpu intensive, but there's still a balance of gpu/cpu. And with a modern day quad core cpu running at 4ghz or above, gobs of system ram, and the fastest single gpu on planet Earth still yields frame latency and stuttering throughout?

I'll say again, the windows platform is a turd. Compared to the hardware and tech we have today? Take Prototype 2, it runs fine on 8yr old hardware(xbox)albeit at 720 with 4xaa. Then buy it for PC and run it on hardware that's literally 16 times the power and witness how shitty and stuttery the game runs compared.

There's so much overhead on a pc it's ridiculous. When you read about games from Valve running 300 times faster on a linux build and not come to the conclusion that Microsoft just plains sucks, then please enlighten me just how and why Windows as a gaming platform is so amazing?

Obviously the folks at Anet aren't lazy by any means, these guys are extremely talented and more than competent. But again, the tech we have today is simply going to waste on many levels.

unfortunately nobody develops games for linux.. i would much rather be using linux anyways as i work on a sun station that runs solaris 10 and i love it.

unfortunately there are more gamers out there that arent that computer literate and windows makes gaming and other things much more accessible.

Like most cross-platform games these days I'd be willing to get Prototype2 was developed for consoles and then ported to PC. Ported games always run like crap on in comparison.

Derailing thead D:

Idc if you think windows or linux is better. I'm just curious on the performance others are getting in Guild wars 2. Yes I understand it is CPU intensive as well, but I would like to see how their performance is. Like I mentioned, about 2 days ago the performance was slower but recently it's been a lot better.

Back