Guild Wars 2 for $48 FS at Newegg is back up

Never played any of the guild wars series but is it anything like world of warcraft were you have to pay monthly? I am trying to look for a game that is F2P after purchasing for however long you want to play.

Never-mind opened my eyes and saw ***No Subscription. Get the game and play. It's that simple.*** , I will be purchasing this. Hopefully the game isn't a let down like SWTOR and Diablo 3.

It is a dumbed down version of the original. I think it will be another Diablo 3 fiasco with a very large player base at opening then when everyone realizes it has no depth they will leave. The other issue is they are really pushing the real money cash shop for gw2.

It is a dumbed down version of the original. I think it will be another Diablo 3 fiasco with a very large player base at opening then when everyone realizes it has no depth they will leave. The other issue is they are really pushing the real money cash shop for gw2.

2nd off , il wait for everyone's review on [H]ardforum. :D

This is a fine example of someone who knows NOTHING about the game at all. The real money cash shop is only for convenience items, and things like silly outfits. It will give no advantages in game whatsoever.

Uhhhhh what? How do you figure it's a dumbed down version of the first? The 2 games really only share setting and lore. the first was a CRPG with grouping and hub towns. GW2 is a full fledged MMO for all the good and bad that brings to the table.

Also the cash shop is actually pretty pointless beyond adding more character slots to your account or giving your toon an afro. I fail to see how they are pushing it very hard. The only pseudo sketchy things on there are XP boost buffs but they drop off mobs too.

I do agree there will be a bit of an exodus once everyone hits max level though. If the world vs. world vs. world or structured pvp doesn't interest you you will probably get bored once you hit max level and explore all the areas.

All that being said I think it's well worth $48. I've played in all the beta weekends and stress tests so far. The action style combat is interesting although it may be a turn off for some.

Last edited:
Uhhhhh what? How do you figure it's a dumbed down version of the first? The 2 games really only share setting and lore. the first was a CRPG with grouping and hub towns. GW2 is a full fledged MMO for all the good and bad that brings to the table.

Also the cash shop is actually pretty pointless beyond adding more character slots to your account or giving your toon an afro. I fail to see how they are pushing it very hard. The only pseudo sketchy things on there are XP boost buffs but they drop off mobs too.

I do agree there will be a bit of an exodus once everyone hits max level though. If the world vs. world vs. world or structured pvp don't interest you you will probably get bored once you hit max level and explore all the areas.

All that being said I think it's well worth $48. I've played in all the beta weekends and stress tests so far. The action style combat is interesting although it may be a turn off for some.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about it, and did some digging and reading and it seems the CS plays a pretty small role in the game and has no real game changing items in it, so the other day I pre-purchased it for me and my GF. Never played the first, but the GF wanted to try something like an MMO and since it has no sub it looked like the right direction to go.

i played all the original gw, it was my favorite.

will buy this one as soon as im certain it is roughly more of the same.

the original wasnt really level based at all, probably 99% of the players were max level, and was attained in less than a day or two.

also you had the option of creating a max level character from the beginning, leveling was only relevant to the story part.

Having played a few of the beta weekends, I kind of miss the old style of GW1 :p Will still play GW2 regardless...

i played all the original gw, it was my favorite.

will buy this one as soon as im certain it is roughly more of the same.

You don't need to buy Guildwars 2 then. It is a full fledged MMO, and really doesn't share any resemblance to GW1. If you are a pvper GW2 will be THE game to have though.

WOW is going to lose their fan base when GW2 comes out. They are losing paying customers already.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/World-Warcraft-Loses-1-1-Million-Subscribers-45319.html

I'm willing to bet by the end of the panda expansion Blizzard will be sporting half of their current 9 million subs. With games such as GW2, and Planetside 2 coming out why should we have to pay monthly fees to play MMO's?

Last edited:
I don't get that. Does Blizzard really need to charge for an expansion every year and still charge a monthly fee?

If you buy from newegg, it does NOT count as a "pre purchase" and does not give you 3 day head start access, and the game ships on release day, so you get it 3+ days after release.

Just FYI.

Just got the deluxe edition, $79.99 with the in game bonuses @ greenmangaming for $59.99 with the promo code: PCGMR-ALLIN-GREEN, found it through Slickdeals

The WvWvW is a joke in this game.

The PVE is a joke.

The capture the point PVP is the only thing going for it and while nobody has experience enough playing it to really say if it will succeed or not... it's certainly not a fail but if you are expecting something great I doubt it. And the condition effect skills need serious tweeking and balancing atm.

Considering there's only one really fun mode to play I expect it to get boring fast. Some of the maps are well done though.

The PVE is a joke.

The capture the point PVP is the only thing going for it and while nobody has experience enough playing it to really say if it will succeed or not... it's certainly not a fail but if you are expecting something great I doubt it. And the condition effect skills need serious tweeking and balancing atm.

Considering there's only one really fun mode to play I expect it to get boring fast. Some of the maps are well done though.

Explain please...what aspect of wvwvw is bad? I've spent countless hours in there and had a pure blast. It reminded me of the old vanilla AV days of WOW. I'm also finding the PVE thoroughly enjoyable as well. I've always hated crafting, gathering and exploring in MMO's but I find I do it so much in GW2. The dynamic events are questing done right in my opinion.

I don't get that. Does Blizzard really need to charge for an expansion every year and still charge a monthly fee?

No, not at all. It costs very little to run servers, and except when an expansion comes out they add very little content. Bliz has proven that they can be successful running a cash shop, just look at all the idiots that buy mounts, and pets. It simply boils down to pure greed and nothing more. The pay subscription MMO model will die with WOW. I guarantee you that.

The PVE is a joke.

People have harsh things like this to say. But there are a lot of different things to do in gw2 and you don't have to do them all. My question for people like this is: is it worth 45 bucks? Because that's what I paid and that's what I expect.

This is a fine example of someone who knows NOTHING about the game at all. The real money cash shop is only for convenience items, and things like silly outfits. It will give no advantages in game whatsoever.

I am sorry you know so little about GW and GW2. I think I might know a thing or 2 since I have been playing gw2 since closed beta because of a press pass. I am also one of the top farm build makers for the original gw as anyone that uses guru,gwonline,etc would know by my name.

I think being able to buy xp bonuses among other things to come that are even more broken says enough that the cash shop is more than just cosmetic. If you know anything about the cash shop that was added to gw1 it has slowly become over time more than just cosmetic items. If you read the fine print they can and will add more things to bring in more revenue.

It is just a PR move right now to keep it light before the game releases and after a few months more serious stuff will come to the cash shop.

There is some fine, fine trolling in this thread. I tip my hat..

I think being able to buy xp bonuses among other things to come that are even more broken says enough that the cash shop is more than just cosmetic.

Oh here we go with the xp bonuses whine...The xp bonus applies to mob kills only which when compared to other MMO's is a very small amount of where your xp is coming from. Instead of getting 10 xp to kill a mob you're getting 20 whoopdee fucking doo. The real xp comes from completion of dynamic events. As far as "other things to come" that is based off pure assumption and nothing more. Man, to be someone who has so much experience in GW2 you sure don't know what the hell your talking about.

Show me something that is really game breaking in Guildwars 2 that makes the game not worth the current $45 asking price. If you can't then move along!

Yep, sub up to slickdeals! Good stuff always rolling through there, I know I've got tons of great stuff through them & sometimes the deals are only in stock for a couple hours -_-

Back