Guide: Using RT Seven Lite

SolidBladez

Supreme [H]ardness
rt7litecopy.png

Homepage

First of all, big thanks to PizzaMan. If you're looking at stripping Windows 7 down for benching, refer to his thread.

Download and other useful links
  • Release candidate (Build 1.7.0) -- x86 / x64
  • Beta (Build 2.6.0) [SP1 slipstream support] -- x86 / x64
  • Windows Updates Downloader (Version 2.50 Build 1002) -- Link
  • Legal Windows 7 Download Links (credit goes to wontonforevuh) -- x86 ISO (mirror 1 / 2) | x64 ISO (mirror 1 / 2)
  • VMware Player (3.1.4) -- Link

On the RT Seven Lite homepage, they have several good starting guides on how to use their software. I don't want to go into that since it's pretty self-explanatory.

Obtaining and integrating the latest Windows Updates
Step 1:
After installing Windows Updates Downloader, download the latest compiled list (Post-RTM Links). Double-click the list and it will display:

63336817.jpg

Open up WUD and you should have a large list of all recent Windows Updates and software.

23250770.jpg

Step 2:

Select which files you wish to download and click on the Download button. You can also select where you want your files to be downloaded.

Step 3:
After all of the files have been download, go back into RT Seven Lite and go to the Integration section (more info here).
Following the tutorial on RT Seven Lite, select the updates you downloaded but don't click Apply yet. If you download the Optional Updates or Software such as DirectX and Microsoft Security Essentials, you will need to go to the Applications tab. Once you add the program/application to the list, there will be a pop-up window.
14168455.jpg

Ignore it and click either OK or Cancel.

Step 4:
If you just want to integrate the updates and/or software, then click Apply. If not, proceed onto the next task.

Testing Unattended Windows OS
Step 1:
Install a virtual machine (VM) such as VMware Player (link above) or VirtualBox.

Step 2:
Using VMware Player as an example, create a new virtual machine. Select the source of your new unattended Windows 7 files, then click Next.
97839611.jpg

On the next window, you can put in your product key (if you didn't integrate it already) and make sure you select the correct operating system.
62597077.jpg

If you do not put in a product key, WMware will ask you to manually activate it later. That's fine, click Yes.

Create a name for your VM and select where you want it located, then click Next.
14186332.jpg

Leave the default capacity at 40GB and click Next.
32104914.jpg

The last window displays the default hardware settings. You can change them in you like. Click Finish when done.
59592559.jpg

Step 3:
Now that your VM has been configured, it will launch the setup files. Depending on how you configured your OS install, it may not show the usually Windows initial install Window.

Step 4:
Once you've loaded to the desktop screen, check to make sure everything that you tweaked is working and/or removed. If everything is working correctly, then save the ISO image file and burn it to a disk or USB flash drive.

Note: If you integrated updates/hotfixes, you may need to restart your machine a few times.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The Slipstream and adding Drivers to image tool look nice.

I would again advise, if you want to run an embeded operating system, buy Windows Embedded.

And removing operating system components to benchmark the operating system? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

And removing operating system components to benchmark the operating system? That makes absolutely no sense to me.
That's because some people still haven't decided to educate themselves, and still buy into the long since dead theory that disabling services and removing components actually speed up the OS.

Since I'm back from the dead (oh, almost, almost), might as well stamp my return:

Leave it alone. ;)

I would again advise, if you want to run an embeded operating system, buy Windows Embedded.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

QFT, at best you'll save some gigabytes of space, but that's about it.

I've been testing windows embedded for years, to build POS (as in Point Of Service, not piece of...S) devices.

Windows Embedded 7 is awesome, its so much better than WES 2007. Unfortunately its not nearly as fast.

Would I be able to take say a clean ISO of win7, integrate updates and software(MSE, Firefox, etc) and then leave it ununtended to fully install? just to be clear I dont want to strip anything out, just add

Would I be able to take say a clean ISO of win7, integrate updates and software(MSE, Firefox, etc) and then leave it ununtended to fully install? just to be clear I dont want to strip anything out, just add

And for me, the objective is not to strip things out, but to preset configuration options, so that multiple installs over time (and on different systems) are configured consistently.

Oh, and I would also like to slipstream in service packs. Is there any convenient way to do a one-time, bulk download of all patches issued against a specific version of Win 7, say Professional or Ultimate 64 bit?

Definitely, of course. The only reason I don't integrate some apps is because they get constantly updated.

Oh, and I would also like to slipstream in service packs. Is there any convenient way to do a one-time, bulk download of all patches issued against a specific version of Win 7, say Professional or Ultimate 64 bit?

That I don't know. I think most patches are aimed towards the general OS (ex: Windows 7) as oppose to the specific edition.

I thought RT Se7en Lite 3.0 was supposed to be released soon? They are completely changing the UI and I don't care much for it. It's going to clean up a lot of bugs though.

Back