Guide: Setting up notfred in VMWare Player

capreppy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2009
There have been some questions regarding my setup for notfred's VM Appliance using VMWare Player. This guide will hopefully answer those questions. It is a work in progress and I will update the original post as questions/comments/concerns are posted.

Hardware/Software Configuration Suggestions:
These are suggestions. These are not hard and fast rules.

- 64-bit OS. Each VM will take 640MB of Physical RAM. The VMWare Application will literally take 640MB away from the OS to be used exclusively by the VM Instance. With 2VMs you're taking away 1.28GB. With modern GPUs carrying large amounts of RAM, the memory address space of an x86 OS can become quickly apparent.
- 4GB of RAM. For the same reason as above
- With 4 or more VMs on the same box (Core i7, Dual & Quad Socket rigs), a fast HDD is highly recommended. On bootup, the VMs are doing a lot of HDD access. It can and probably bring your machine to its knees when they are all booting up. If you can spread the VM Folders to different drives, this can help alleviate some of those issues.

Download the following:
notfred's VM Appliance (Additional information is also available on this page)
VMWare Player (A License Key is not required as this is freeware)
WinAFC (More information about it here. Also be sure to download the correct version (x86 or x64) for your OS)

Getting VM Files ready
You will need 1 instance of the VM Appliance for every 2 cores (physical or virtual).
I create a folder called SMP1 and SMP2. Where you place them doesn't matter.
- Dual Core, you'll only need SMP1 as you can only run 1 VM Instance
- Core i7 with Hyperthreading turned on, you'll need to set up SMP3 & SMP4.

Unzip the contents (2 files) of notfred's VM Appliance to each of these folders.
Edit "folding.vmx" in the folder SMP1 using WordPad. Do NOT use notepad as you may lose formatting making the file unusable by VMWare Player.
Change the Dispay Name to "SMP 1". I do this so that I can very quickly determine which instance is which.
Optional, but highly suggested. Change Memory from 640 to 1024 or better yet 1536 (512 x 3)
Wireless Configuration: If you are using Wireless, you will need to change ethernet0.connectionType to "nat". This is a quirk that I have discovered with notfred's as it is configured for e0000 which is usually your Wired Connection. If someone has been able to figure out a way to get "bridged" to work with wireless, I'd appreciate your comments and can update this guide accordingly. I am currently wired, but can test any wireless solutions that are provided.
Save the file.

Do the same for SMP 2.

Install VMWare Player
I install with default values. There is no anything special you will need to do to get it up and running. This will run on WinXP (x86 or x64), Vista (x86 or x64), or Win7 (x86 or x64). I have not confirmed Win7 personally, but I have not read any reports otherwise.
** Win7 compatability confirmed by Vaulter98c.:D

Getting WinAFC ready
Unzip WinAFC to the same folder you downloaded it to.
Edit "affinityinput.txt" and change the following:
Test Mode = 0 (if you want to make sure things are going to work correctly, set it to 1 and check the console for output. Set it back to 0 for the changes to take effect)
Under Application Profle lines add the following:
Code:
*\vmware-vmx.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1 [assign=2,priority=Idle]
*\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1 [priority=High]
*\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1 [priority=High]

The first line assigns it to both pairs of CPUs (CPU0&CPU1 + CPU2&CPU3). The assign statement tells it only give it 2 CPU cores. You can choose to use "BelowNormal" in the first line and give the VMs slightly higher than Idle priority, but I've found that the system gets a teeny bit sluggish (especially when running 4 VMs). You'll need to change "PAIR0+PAIR1" to the appropriate values for your CPU Type. Valid values are below.

The second and third line are for GPU and assigns it to both pairs of CPUs. There is NO assign statement which means that it spread out across all four CPUs. I set a "High" priority to ensure that the GPUs get all of the CPU cycles first and the leftovers go to the VMs. Since GPUs only need a few cycles, the vast majority do go to the VMs.

Profiler lines that duplicate a program file (ie, two lines that cover vmware-vmx.exe) are ignored. The Profiler will only use the last line associated with that program file.

Start WinAFC by double clicking on the WinAFC.exe (or WinAFC64.exe) file.
Right click on SysTray Icon for WinAFC and click on Settings.
Change Delay on Program Start to 120 (longer if you system takes a while to completely boot up). WinAFC needs to do a check on the CPU configuration. Sometimes when you get errors in the console, it is because this check failed.
Right click on SysTray Icon for WinAFC and click on Open Console.
If you are running the GPU client already, then you should see 2 entries for each GPU client that you are running. You will see one entry assigning the GPU client to each core on your box and the second line indicating that it is set to High Priority.
You'll need to investigate any entries in Yellow as those are errors.

Create a shortcut to WinAFC.exe (or WinAFC64.exe) and place it in the Startup Folder.

Valid CPU Options
In the Valid Profile Lines, use the values appropriate for your CPU
Intel & AMD Dual Core:
Code:
CPU0, CPU1
or
Code:
PAIR0
Intel QuadCore:
Code:
CPU0, CPU1, CPU2, CPU3
or
Code:
PAIR0, PAIR1
AMD QuadCore:
Code:
CPU0, CPU1, CPU2, CPU3
or
Code:
QUAD0
Intel Core i7:
Code:
CPU0, CPU1, CPU2, CPU3, CPU4, CPU5, CPU6, CPU7
or
Code:
PAIR0, PAIR1, PAIR2, PAIR3
or if H/T is off
Code:
QUAD0

Getting SMP1 Up and Running
Go to the folder for SMP1. Double click on folding.vmx.
This will open up a VMWare WIndow.

Take note of the following:
IP Address that is assigned to the VM
Host Name

Open up an instance of your internet browser (IE or FF or whatever).
In the address bar, type in the IP Address assigned to the VM
The main screen gives you the basic information regarding this instance of notfred's. You will notice that the user is notfred and his team number is the default value. We are going to change that.

Click on hyperlink to Reconfigure this host and any USB Drive
The next screen is where you will change information regarding this instance.
Change Username to your folding username
Change Team to 33 (yes, we hold for [H]!!)

Optional: You can leave Windows Networking Workgroup as DISKLESS. I normally change it to my home networking group

Proxy Hostname | Proxy Port | Proxy Username | Proxy Password : Populate only if you have a proxy server

Interface: honestly am not sure what values are valid here. I will ping notfred's for valid values for this field

Static IP | Subnet Mask | Default Gateway | DNS Server IP: leave blank if your router will assign an IP address. I use a Static IP address as I normally create an IE Favorite Entry for the VM Instance. It is possible the IP address can change as you add items to your network. If it does change, then you will have to go to the box that is running the VM and take a look at the new IP Address that it has been assigned to via the VMWare Player Console. I currently run several VMs on headless boxen so it isn't easy for me to get to it. A Static IP address prevents this issue from happening.

TFTP Server IP: leave blank unless you have a TFTP Server running. If you do, then the VM Instance can backup the files to this server and can also restore from this server. It should be noted that since this is a persistent VM, all data is also saved within itself. NO data is lost if the VM is shut down.

Click on Reconfigure. Click on here hyperlink or wait for the screen to refresh.
From Main Screen, Click on Remote Reboot Enabled Hyperlink. Confirm Reboot. Reboot should take a minute or two depending on your machine.

It should go back to the main screen after the reboot is complete. IF you changed to Static IP Address, change the IP Address in the address box to the Static IP Address you assgned to this VM Instance. You should see the new values for those entries that you have changed.

That's it. SMP 1 is up and running. Do the same for SMP 2.

Monitoring your VM
In your favorite F@H Monitoring Program (I recommend FaHSpy or FaHMon), add a new folder. In location, type in the following: "\\fold-XXXX\C\etc\folding\1\" where XXXX is the host name you took note of from the VMWare Player Console. Change the folder alias to whatever you want. If monitoring via FaHMon, click "Client is on a virtual machine". Within a few seconds, it should update and provide you current information on your new VM!!!

FAQ:
These are some common errors and the best way to resolve them. I will add to this as others have issues and we are able to resolve them.

** VM Console is showing "attempt to access beyond end of device"
This is due to a number of different things. Easiest way to correct this is to reboot the VM. Upon reboot, the VM frees up any unused memory and most of the time will clear up this message

** VM Console is showing the all threads have been killed
This is a sign that the VM Instance has been corrupted. I do not know of a way to correct this issue. Delete all files except "folding.vmx" from the folder that holds this VM. Yes, this means that all work up to this point is lost, but there isn't a way to recover it in the first place. From your original zip file that you downloaded, unzip a copy of "folding.vmdk" into your folder. Double click on folding.vmx (restart the VM) and reconfigure as you've done before. Because you've replaced the "folding.vmdk" file, the corruption is gone.

** VM is showing "check your DNS Server"
Network traffic on your network has prevented the VM from renewing the lease to the IP Addres that it needs (if Static IP Address) or it did not get a new lease for a Dynamic IP Address. Click inside your VM and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot the VM. You will NOT be able to reboot via the Main Screen as the VM won't have a valid IP Address to get to it. This does occassionally happen to me when I try to reboot my Core i7 and 4 VMs try to restart all at the same time.

** How do I up the memory allocated to the VM to keep it from crashing
If you are running VMWare (Player / Workstation / Server), edit the file called folding.vmx in the folder where your notfred files are located.
Edit the line that says memsize = "640" to "1024" which is what others have used. If not try upping it a tiny bit more

Last edited:
Getting WinAFC ready
Unzip WinAFC to the same folder you downloaded it to.
Edit "affinityinput.txt" and change the following:
Test Mode = 0 (if you want to make sure things are going to work correctly, set it to 1 and check the console for output. Set it back to 0 for the changes to take effect)
Under Application Profle lines add the following:
Code:

Thank you for this i've been way busy with my churches easter program to figure that out over the last couple of days:) so heres to a couple extra k ppd :)
Can i add a second line to that so like and still have it function properly?

nvm i think i answered my own question by actually reading everything lol

Last edited:
YES YOU OWN!!! thank you for the how to.. this should be stickied!

sirmonekey, thank you. For the first time since I've started folding (just over a year ago), I finally feel that I can really contribute to the team. Not just in points, but in actual knowledge. It's not a lot, but every little bit helps :D

84gthatch, The second line is a duplicate. The profiler will take the LAST entry for a specific program file and go with it. It won't hurt it, but it won't do anything either.

wow, greatest to you and yours man, I was just coming on here to ask this because I tried and am lost in the sauce, or maybe its because I hit the sauce to hard last night... o well, anyways, thanks, will try later today and hopefully break 15k on my gamer rig!

FOLD ON BITCHES!

quick question tho, will overclocking hurt this? wasnt that the problem in the other thread or was that something else?

Last edited:
+1 for the sticky...I will be following this once all my pieces come in for my new boxen...

quick question tho, will overclocking hurt this? wasnt that the problem in the other thread or was that something else?

CPU OC'ing will only help you. One VM Instance per 2 CPU cores is optimal. The other thread you are referring to was trying to use One VM Instance per CPU Core and it didn't work. Basically the VMs couldn't get enough CPU cycles to keep up and thereby losing PpD overall.

OK, you mention your not sure if it works on 7 or not, Im running 64 bit 7 and it seems to be going just fine. 64 bit AFC and fold64 on the 2 VM's I have running

I just got it to monitor , I'll report back later with how its going and all that, but Ive pegged out all 4 cores and am using almost 3 gigs of ram, so somethings working lol

I'll get down to OC'ing later once I know these are running fine

One last question about FAHmon, can this monitor another rig over the network? that would be sweet if I could get realtime stats for all my stuff

Great to hear!!!!

Yes, FaHMon can monitor anything on your local netowrk. The VM is basically another machine on your network :D

I use it to monitor all of my boxen on my network. Two are headless and this is the easiest way to check status on them.

im so addicted to this shit, its crazy, I think I'm gonna blow some more money on a few more cards. I just bought a hous eand I need to spend my money fixing it up so I can move, but I keep buying folding related stuffs. Bah, who needs a bathroom anyways?

cranking out 9.9k out of this box now, waiting on the 2 SMP's to respond, and now I can finish my second box.. MUST ..... FOLD... MOAR!!!

sweet, my SMP's are reporting, and I'm getting 1.9k PPD per SMP on a stock Q66 , so my gaming rig is now putting out 13.7k PPD , Ive got to OC more to 15k!

so yes, Win7 is good for this thread, I demand a sticky!

Last edited:
Each VM is self contained. You don't need an OS.

Could you elaborate on your question?

I guess since Ive never used this tool I am assuming it is like Virtual PC where you essentially have to "install" an OS into the VM? IDK i think im confusing myself:confused:

That SIR is the beauty of notfred's. It's already installed :D

You just turn on the VM, configure (per the guide above) and let 'er RIP some points!!!

just a bump, still rock steady under 7, my Quad is a dud, can only OC to 2.65 , but at 2.65 I'm pulling 4200 PPD

I'm glad it is working out. With the CC coming up, we'll need all the help we can get!!!

ok, heres my question, not sure if its my OC or whatnot (never had any other problems related to it, but whatever) related but one of my VM's is giving me hell

it keeps saying there is an error in the core and the core shutsdown. Ive tried deleting everything except for the two files that came in the notfred zip, and running again, and it wouldnt work. So, I've deleted everythying and started fresh (only one VM tho, the other is still chugging along fine) and I'll post back with how its doing, but is this an OC issue or just something went haywire and just happened.

It souds as if the folding.vmdk file got corrupt. Delete ALL of the files except the folding.vmx. From the original zip file (folding.zip) get another copy of the folding.vmdk and put it in the folder that you removed all of the other files from. Double Click on the folding.vmx file and reconfigure your VM Instance (per the instructions above). You'll be starting off with a fresh VM so the issue will be gone.

im at 2% now, so I hope it keeps going steady, because I really dont want to run stock 2.4ghz

Thanks for the guide, I am using it to setup notfred on a couple of my dedicated GPU folders. In the past, notfred under vmware has seemed too problematic to maintain (frequent hangs and out of memory errors in the vm) so giving it another try and will see how it goes.

A lot of the hangs have gone away. There still exist some (infrequent) issues with out of memory. I will be updating the guide with an FAQ on how best to handle these situations, but need more time than I thought I had :D

only had that one issue with one core running win7 64bit so far

Just used this to get 4 VM's up with Zero issues on my i7 doing about 8k ppd or so (non overclocked nothing done to it :)

Lol apparently VM's and GPU's work better together when they have enough ram you can ask capreppy all about me buggin him. So a xp64 install will be due here on my 9800 gx2 machine here so i can get another 1500 ppd on it

Last edited:
I updated the original post with some ways to correct common errors. In addition, I've added some "suggestions" for hardware & OS.

Xilikon has updated the Horde Guide with the contents of the guide :D

sweet its sticky'd! Still running strong on win7 64 , so there is no question that that one error was a unique thing, this is VERY stable!

Glad I'm of help for everyone... I'll try that guide myself soon to refresh my VM instances which is now almost one year old :eek:

Capreppy - you did great work on the config guide. I have tried this on all three of my machines and the ppd is fantastic but the stability seems lacking. One box is Vista64 w/4 gigs the other two are Vista32 w/2 gigs. I have received all of the types of errors you mention in your updated FAQ. Rebooting, increasing memory allocation, etc. hasn't made them go away. I would sure like to make this work because I'm in to more points for free:p so I will follow you suggestion about deleting files and restarting. I would like to hear how this is going for others out there so I can tell if it is just my setup or continued stability problems with notfreds under vm as lassiterb mentioned. Your effort is greatly appreciated:).

Capreppy - you did great work on the config guide. I have tried this on all three of my machines and the ppd is fantastic but the stability seems lacking. One box is Vista64 w/4 gigs the other two are Vista32 w/2 gigs. I have received all of the types of errors you mention in your updated FAQ. Rebooting, increasing memory allocation, etc. hasn't made them go away. I would sure like to make this work because I'm in to more points for free:p so I will follow you suggestion about deleting files and restarting. I would like to hear how this is going for others out there so I can tell if it is just my setup or continued stability problems with notfreds under vm as lassiterb mentioned. Your effort is greatly appreciated:).

I still suffer from occassional issues. It's an easy way to set it up for those not wanting to venture into Linux. I check mine every couple of days and yes, I do have the occassion where I'll have to "redo" a VM instance because it has become corrupt.

I'm running 6 instances via Vista x64 and 4 instances via WinXP x64. Over the last 3 weeks, I've had to "redo" 3 instances.

I think that the WinAFC portion should work fine if you have 2 VMs and 1 GPU.

I'm getting weird results running 2 VMs and 2 GPUs.

for me GPU0 has more shaders so it should outfold the GPU1.
after GPU0 finished a WU and loaded the next one, GPU1 would outfold GPU0. Until GPU1 finished or until I restarted GPU0 and GPU1.

right now I'm trying the following to attempt to overcome this.
GPU0 is in FAHGPU1
GOU1 is in FAHGPU2
Code:
C:\Folding@home\FAHGPU1\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0 [priority=High]
C:\Folding@home\FAHGPU1\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0 [priority=High]
C:\Folding@home\FAHGPU2\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR1 [priority=High]
C:\Folding@home\FAHGPU2\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR1 [priority=High]

If someone has an input on how else to over come this, throw me a line.

I've manually split my affinities for the 2 VMs.

Last edited:
actually, I just re-did my rigs, and switched out cards/mobos
Now, on the rig with the quad Ive got 2 GPU's and I think I'm having the same trouble he is
my 88GTX is pulling 5+k PPD, while my 8800GT (300hz higher shader clock, and 100 core) is only netting just barely 3k PPD

I'm gonna let it run another WU as every GPU in my house is on 384's and reporting VERY low PPD (xcept the GTX, but my other 4 are 1k+ below where they should be/have been). If that dont fix it up, I'm gonna run your script thing and see if that fixes it. I should net much better than what I was, but I'm down alot, like 5k, and I added a card lol

I have 1 of 3 boxen where this is working with some stability. Sometimes, I just think it's the combination of OS/Mobo/GPU environment. The one box it is working on is Vista32 w/2 gigs of RAM. The ppd of the GPU on that box is down about 600 ppd but the CPU production is up about 1,500 ppd. Maybe someone will figure out if assigning some different priorities will bring the GPU ppd back up. As long as it's stable, I'll take the 900 net increase in ppd with a smile:D.

I think I'm giving up on WinAFC.

It does nothing but slow my GPU clients down (at least as far as I can tell).
Without it, I have running 2xGPU and 2xVmWare clients on the rig in my sig, pumping just over 17KPPD.
With it, same config 14KPPD.

Thanks for this guide brother capreppy. Even us "IT challenged" can understand it ;)
It's just another example of why you're blitzing the [H]ard DCer of the month contest. Thanks for your [H]ard work :D

DCing for the CURE

Sorry for the late response. I've been at my wife's cousin's wedding since basically yesterday.

I think that the WinAFC portion should work fine if you have 2 VMs and 1 GPU.

I'm getting weird results running 2 VMs and 2 GPUs.

for me GPU0 has more shaders so it should outfold the GPU1.
after GPU0 finished a WU and loaded the next one, GPU1 would outfold GPU0. Until GPU1 finished or until I restarted GPU0 and GPU1.

right now I'm trying the following to attempt to overcome this.
GPU0 is in FAHGPU1
GOU1 is in FAHGPU2
Code:
C:\Folding@home\FAHGPU1\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0 [priority=High]
C:\Folding@home\FAHGPU1\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0 [priority=High]
C:\Folding@home\FAHGPU2\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR1 [priority=High]
C:\Folding@home\FAHGPU2\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR1 [priority=High]

If someone has an input on how else to over come this, throw me a line.

I've manually split my affinities for the 2 VMs.

I am honestly not sure why you are getting results that you are getting. I am unfortunately not in a position to test a system with different shader counts. The Profiler Lines you have created above should work fine and should give you the best results. I am not in a position to address different shader counts. I've heard others indicate that there isn't an issue and others that it just plain doesn't work. As I have no real world experience with this situation I can not address this. As for WinAFC, I do believe very strongly that it works as advertised.

actually, I just re-did my rigs, and switched out cards/mobos
Now, on the rig with the quad Ive got 2 GPU's and I think I'm having the same trouble he is
my 88GTX is pulling 5+k PPD, while my 8800GT (300hz higher shader clock, and 100 core) is only netting just barely 3k PPD

I'm gonna let it run another WU as every GPU in my house is on 384's and reporting VERY low PPD (xcept the GTX, but my other 4 are 1k+ below where they should be/have been). If that dont fix it up, I'm gonna run your script thing and see if that fixes it. I should net much better than what I was, but I'm down alot, like 5k, and I added a card lol

See my comments above.

I have 1 of 3 boxen where this is working with some stability. Sometimes, I just think it's the combination of OS/Mobo/GPU environment. The one box it is working on is Vista32 w/2 gigs of RAM. The ppd of the GPU on that box is down about 600 ppd but the CPU production is up about 1,500 ppd. Maybe someone will figure out if assigning some different priorities will bring the GPU ppd back up. As long as it's stable, I'll take the 900 net increase in ppd with a smile:D.

How many cards are you running on the box with 2GB of RAM. One of the issues with running VMWare is that VMWare Player physically takes away the RAM from the OS. Virtual RAM is still available, but paging will cause some significant issues. The paging causes a drift in the timing of VMs and sometimes to the point of corruption. It, honestly, will be difficult to run a VMWare instance (with a minimum 640mb assigned to it) on a system with 2GB and any x86 version of windows

Thanks for this guide brother capreppy. Even us "IT challenged" can understand it ;)
It's just another example of why you're blitzing the [H]ard DCer of the month contest. Thanks for your [H]ard work :D

DCing for the CURE

My goal was get us ready for CC '09. We didn't fair well last year and I wanted to try and do something about it.

There does seem to still be some stability issues with VMWare & notfred's. Is it worth the headache hat some are experiencing? I believe it is. If issues arise and I have to "redo" and "reconfigure" a VM instance, I can do so in about 5 minutes or less.

I cannot get WinAFC to work for me.

I just copy and pasted from the guide. Maybe there is more to it.
It tells me that
Auto detecting CPU configuration. Please wait.
4/18/2009 22:58:47 PM: ERROR build_cpu_sets: found sets of different sizes, 7-8.
4/18/2009 22:58:47 PM: ERROR build_cpu_sets: Please send the above error message and the numbers listed below to: [email protected]
4, 5, 8522.66
0, 2, 9036.65
2, 5, 9258.59
2, 4, 9266.12
3, 4, 9322.79
0, 3, 9341.12
1, 2, 9362.42
2, 7, 9367.59
0, 5, 9414.44
3, 5, 9417.88
3, 7, 9434.87
2, 6, 9436.77
0, 7, 9512.24
1, 5, 9514.1
5, 7, 9519.39
4, 7, 9520.42
0, 4, 9525.81
1, 3, 9531.91
0, 6, 9550.23
5, 6, 9553.1
3, 6, 9553.33
1, 4, 9555.57
4, 6, 9555.61
1, 7, 9569.02
1, 6, 9586.72
0, 1, 11553.8
2, 3, 11923.2
6, 7, 12125.9
4/18/2009 22:58:47 PM: ERROR build_cpu_sets: Unable to determine the logical CPU sets. Use only physical CPU IDs.
4/18/2009 22:58:48 PM: WARNING process_nested_cpus::eek:perator (): no logical CPU set of type PAIR was detected on this machine.
4/18/2009 22:58:48 PM: WARNING process_nested_cpus::eek:perator (): no logical CPU set of type PAIR was detected on this machine.
4/18/2009 22:58:48 PM: WARNING CWinAFCDlg::parse_input_file: Ignoring profile line: *\vmware-vmx.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [assign=2,priority=Idle]
4/18/2009 22:58:48 PM: WARNING CWinAFCDlg::parse_input_file: Ignoring profile line: *\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]
4/18/2009 22:58:48 PM: WARNING CWinAFCDlg::parse_input_file: Ignoring profile line: *\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]
4/18/2009 22:58:48 PM: WARNING CWinAFCDlg::TraverseProcessList: There are no valid application profiles. The program will auto-pause.

I have an i7 920

EDIT: I restarted and it fixed itself. Not sure what that was all about.

Last edited:
Back