GUIDE: Air-cooling for CPUs, GPUs, and just about everyone of you

i might get the ninja sometime this week...not sure. If i do i'll let ya know about my results

I got like 51 C at full load with a p4 2.4 GHz northwood after about one hour... I will do some more benchmarking tonight!
I used a 120mm DustProof Acousti Fan next to it, as seen on the pic bellow.

IMG_2571.jpg

with the setup i got going it cools pretty well all ideas are certainly welcome...

looks great at night , the thermalright heatsink gets help from a new silverstone fan that puts out a huge 110 cfm,s of air , though it sounds like a B2 Bomber it still keeps the CPU well below 38c and only 40-43c under a full load

my 9600 pro stays cool to with a AC cooler that i got a great deal on $10...

the hard test run on pcmark05 and the 9th inning stretch on Pi...

i think the scythe ninja + good fan is *the* best air cooling solution available. plus its good like the zalman cnps9500 in that the fan blows across the hsf instead of downwards into the cpu like most hsf's do, resulting in better case airflow (assuming you're smart enough to have it blow towards the exhaust fan(s))

I suggest adding the Aerocool VM-101
nice cooler for the price, heatsink still works well inverted (in the PCI area) rather than above the card

widespread availablity (mostly) CompUSA may have it a reduced price, got mine for ~20 there

there is a second version, but not available in the USA yet

oh and there also another revision to the thermalright V-1 just add Ultra to it :)

_Korruption_ said:
MASSCOOL 5F394B1L3G 80mm Copper HSF[/URL] -- cheap at less than $14! The 80mm fan allows more airflow and less noise (the AMD retail thermal solution for Socket A comes with a small 60x60x10 fan which can be quite noisy), the all-copper heatsink body offers a good amount of surface area. Kinda reminds me of a cheaper (and noisier) Thermaltake Silent Boost. Even the three-pin lead is sleeved and shrinked! You really can't find another all-copper solution for this price.

_Korruption_,

I installed this HSF about a week ago using AS Ceramique and my under-load temps (in BF2) went from 65-68C down to 48-50C (per "ABIT EQ"). The fan is completely silent (compaired to the stock HSF) and my "ABIT EQ" automatically varies the RPM's depending on load. It is indeed a "Great" HSF for someone like me with a very limited budget.

Thanks for taking the time to post this info. It's much appreciated!

wizzard0003

Just to mention, the ninja fits on all of the socket types (limited of course in terms of physical space in your case).

I just got mine installed in my p180 with a 120mm antec fan strapped to it, and the load temps have dropped around 23 C from the stock cooler. My load temps are currently ~5 or so degrees cooler than my old idle temps, depending on the room temp. And if you want silent, but aren't too keen on passive mode, getting something like a nexus or undervolted 120mm will do far beyond any stock cooler.

Crazy hsf....I love it, and I recommend it COMPLETELY to anyone who wants some of the best air cooling around, and has the space to accommodate it.

I need some help with my 3200+ Venice 939, Abit K8N SLi,
I will not go over 2.6, and I will use it 96% for gaming, sometimes not that heavy but mostly gaming, sooo I'm looking for something not realy loud and size don't realy matter cuz its not a show off, so it can get as big as it can as long as it doesn't interfear with other hardware and fits in my case... price in 50-60$ range, something reasonable, and preferebly from newegg becouse I'm getting ram there, and I can save 30$ on shiping :)... I'm getting G.Skill, pc 4000, 1gb x 2, oh and I'm using Cooler Master Centurion 5 case if it can help

lots of positive stuff here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835118119

Thnx!

its 48$ on newegg + fan (any ideas on fans?)
and Panasonic fans are out of ored... :mad:

what about
THERMALRIGHT SI-120 + Panasonic Panaflo FBA12G12M 120mm Hydro Wave ?

Mafi0So said:
what about
THERMALRIGHT SI-120 + Panasonic Panaflo FBA12G12M 120mm Hydro Wave ?
It'll be much better than the XP-90, but get the Low-Speed model if you want low-noise.

I have been reading the guide and doing my own research for three days but I just cant freakin decide. And most reviews I have been reading are with CPUs at stock temps not oCed like mine is. its a 3200+ venice at 2.6ghz. I like the arctic cooling freezer pro because of its price point but I also like the Si-120 for its performance and the ability to add your own fan but its also pricier including the fan, hs and shipping which is almost double the price point of the freezer pro. I also like the zalmans blah!! I cant freakin decide hehe, any suggestions from anyone with a setup close to mine? I want a cooler that is also good for OCing as well. Price is not a major concern but if I can a cheaper one that offers the same performance as one thats double the price I'd much rather take the cheaper one.

edit: really like the new zalman too, the 9500. Is this easy to install on a skt 939? Also going into my choices are ease of install, dont want to take out mobo.

The Freezer64 Pro and the Zalman 9500 allow you to install the heatsinks without removing the board. However, the 9500 is more suited to overclocking when it's fan speed is set to high. The Freezer 64 Pro is good at being quiet.

I think I will go with the 9500, althought more expensive then the freezer it seems more suited for what I need it for and from the zalmans i've had before they are always high quality. Thanks for the info!

Looks like cake, glad I wont have to remove the mobo. I just transferred my whole system to a new case the other day and I dont feel like taking the mobo out again! Awesome guide you got there too, Im sure it has helped alot of ppl out. I had an idea what I wanted but when I saw your guide and read through it, it gave me some other ideas to check out as well.

I'm trying to decide between freezer 64 pro, scythe ninja, zalman 9500, and the SI-120. I'm currently still using the stock amd 64 hsf but I'd like my idle temps lower than 40c. I'm really having a tough time weighing performance vs. noise. Any suggestions? (For my gaming rig, no OC)

I'd go with the cheaper 64 freezer pro if you are just going to be gaming bro. Dont spend huge amounts of money on a cooler if your not going to be OCing IMO.

Mtt83 said:
I'm trying to decide between freezer 64 pro, scythe ninja, zalman 9500, and the SI-120. I'm currently still using the stock amd 64 hsf but I'd like my idle temps lower than 40c. I'm really having a tough time weighing performance vs. noise. Any suggestions? (For my gaming rig, no OC)
It depends on how well you can tolerate noise... The Scythe Ninja and SI-120 allow you to put whatever fan you want on it, and the Zalman 9500 is adjustable. The Freezer64 Pro is the cheapest by far, but fan speed is fixed, but still is pretty darn quiet.

well shiping is 1 day late it should be home tommorow lol... and I'll OC my system soon... so I can tell you how Si 120 runs...

I have the same +3200 PC4000 G.Skill 2x1Gb ram Abit K8N Sli mobo ;)

didn't have time to OC, but just installed all of the things, and I'm ideling at 15.5 C :rolleyes: ... I'll oc a lil bit later ...thnx

Sorry I'm a noob but do these 939 ones listed work well with dual cores as well? I clicked every link to each one and they just say either athlon 64's or compatible with such and such mobo. I'm assuming they mean all 64's including dual core? Was just upgrading soon and I notice in researching that some actually say for use with dual cores and others just say athlon 64 line.

Drep

Drepd said:
Sorry I'm a noob but do these 939 ones listed work well with dual cores as well? I clicked every link to each one and they just say either athlon 64's or compatible with such and such mobo. I'm assuming they mean all 64's including dual core? Was just upgrading soon and I notice in researching that some actually say for use with dual cores and others just say athlon 64 line.

Drep

Yup, they'll work with dual core as well.

what is everyone's opinions on the fan dampeners sold by companies? i think that some of the noise is vibration and not the fan's themselves. (panaflo/nbm 86CFM@36dBa 120x38mm) are the dampeners even worth it? or should i make them myself?

what HSF do you have it on? these fans at a BITCH when it comes to being put right next to a HSF like an xp120 or a radiator, they make TONS of noise. to quiet it down, your best bet would be to make a spacer outta of a dead/cheap 120mm fan

Back