GUI for multiple programs.

Black5Lion

Limp Gawd
I'll start off by saying I have zero experience programming aside from a bit of BASIC at school.

Now a little back story, I've been encoding stuff for archiving. I start off with VidCoder, to encode videos in x265 HEVC, with my desired bitrate, then I open the original files in foobar2000 to encode/convert the audio to Opus. After that I open the encoded x265 video + Opus audio + two separate srt subtitle files in MKVMerge, and change any necessary settings (audio delay/subtitle language/etc.). Finally I hit add job to queue so can later mux multiple stuff at once.

What I'd like to have is a GUI that would allow me automate all of those, or at least most of them. I'm thinking something with 3 blank items:
1- The original video file
2- English subtitle file
3- other language subtitle file
I'd just have to add the 3 items and it would do the rest for me (send to vidcoder and encode video in x265-send to foobar2000 and encode to opus-send results to mkvmerge-add the first subtitle file and change language to English- add the second subtitle file and change the language to whatever I predetermined).

Can I make something like this with Visual Basic? Like make the GUI as a normal program and the "DO" button would just launch a script that handled the rest of it? Also how would I write such a script? Could it be a simple .bat file? (like vidcoder.exe add-file x encode with present y Then foobar2000.exe add-file x encode with present z Then mkvmerge.exe add-file.. blah blah)

If all of those programs support command line options to do what you want, then you can just use a .bat file.

If all of those programs support command line options to do what you want, then you can just use a .bat file.

I'm pretty sure I could replace VidCoder with HandBrakeCLI, and mkvmerge is actually a command line tool with a gui. Don't know about foobar2000 though :(
Anyhow, I'm really a noob at this, how do I write a .bat file? I've only "written" ones by copying and pasting commands others made in notepad then changing the extension to .bat.

I'd prefer a GUI though. Can I make a GUI that would take the files I pick and substitute them in the .bat file?

For example The .bat file would have something like: (HandbrakeCLI.exe -i X -o Y --present="SuperAwesomex265") and the GUI would let me pick a source file and destination file then put them in X and Y before running the .bat file.

Another thing is queuing, before even going into queuing how would I tell it to run foobar200 when handbrakecli is finished and mkvmerge when both are finished?

Ok I've spent the last few hours missing around with this and I got nowhere :(
I can't get foobar2000 to work in CLI, and opusenc won't encode mp3s and needs to have the audio files in the same directory.
I guess now I'll just encode videos in VidCoder without audio, and encode audio in foobar2000. and make a GUI for mkvmerge that applies my settings to the outputs. Should still save a fair amount of time :)

Since you don't have any programming experience, I think the easiest thing for you to use to make a GUI for this would be AutoIT script.

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/

There are a bunch of examples, but you will most likely end up having to read through some of the documentation as well as do some experimenting.

Back