Guess AMD's Q2 loss that will be announced on Thursday

Even though some of us knew it was coming,and knew it would be this bad,its still..... shocking.

Morale at AMDati must be at an all time low.To say otherwise would be foolish at this point.Not that the exec's care,at all,as they all get to leave with golden hand shakes when the real shit hits the fan.That will take a another quarter or two.4 straight losses
in a row,2 down,two to go.

Actually this is the 3rd big quarterly loss if you count in the merger cost reported in Q4 2006.

Anyway, another vote for IBM aquiring AMD, that would keep Intel on their toes even more.

Morale at AMDati must be at an all time low.
Funny you should mention that. An increase in stock options was one of the things expected last week for this past Monday's meeting. I don't know the details proposed, but that's the usual incentive to keep people from jumping ship.

The charges are a lot more than I expected. I think $30 million of it was inventory. The ATi charges were supposed to be in the $10 million or so range. The rest (~$90 million) isn't very clear.

Anyone noticed that frontpage of H doesn't have comment links for AMD/ATI stories anymore? It must really be getting that bad :p

Anyone noticed that frontpage of H doesn't have comment links for AMD/ATI stories anymore? It must really be getting that bad :p
Maybe AMD will release a picture of the earnings with a Phenom logo on it so it will be posted.

Gotta love how web sites love those pictures. Keeps them from asking the hard questions... because they get to post a picture!

It actually seems that AMD is in a stronger position compared to a while back. Pros: reduced ap, 1.6 B in cash, increased sales in both Q and 1/2 yr. Cons: almost double Rd spending, increased marketing costs, 892 M in inventory, high interest expenses. link. They are operating inefficiently. Time to turn over some management I think.

this is a bummer. i have been building comps since 2001 and all i have ever used are AMD's. however, someone mentioned it in an earlier post, but will this contiued loss lead to huge price drops on their processors to get rid of inventory?

Morale at AMDati must be at an all time low. To say otherwise would be foolish at this point.

Hmm? More speculations I suppose :p We went out after work for dinner and drinks tonight actually :D I think the media is really exaggerating the doom and gloom. In fact, morale is pretty high, stock prices haven't been this high since about 6 months ago. Everyone's working hard on the products in the pipeline. We've got current gen and next gen products in development (don't think for one sec that Nehalem isn't on the radar). Some of them you guys already know (Bobcat, and the Fusion family of processors), others I can't talk about yet. I'd expect official announcements 1H next year. We are also hoping to break even by Q4.

Sales have gone up is a positive sign, they still have a net loss because of the charges.

the 600 mil loss is not really what matters here.

First the stock market obviously thought that AMD was going to do a lot worse, extended hours trading moves the AMD stock up about 4.6%.

Secondly, increased revenues means one of these two things: AMD is owning in the price war vs Intel, or ATI has created super duper video cards :rolleyes:

but will this contiued loss lead to huge price drops on their processors to get rid of inventory?

Reports said that they got rid of 30mill in inventory and add to that the fact that they just slashed prices recently. I seriously dont see them dropping prices anytime soon on these K8's.

Hmm? More speculations I suppose :p We went out after work for dinner and drinks tonight actually :D I think the media is really exaggerating the doom and gloom. In fact, morale is pretty high, stock prices haven't been this high since about 6 months ago.
I'd agree with this. The mood at work really hasn't changed after the Q2 report.

Funny you should mention that. An increase in stock options was one of the things expected last week for this past Monday's meeting. I don't know the details proposed, but that's the usual incentive to keep people from jumping ship.

Yeah, that Monday morning stock holders meeting, they voted to add 8 million shares of common stock. At roughly $15/ share, that comes out to about $120 million I believe. I don't know if they need this for a quick cash fix or what, and I would guess they already know who's buying all of it.

It actually seems that AMD is in a stronger position compared to a while back. Pros: reduced ap, 1.6 B in cash, increased sales in both Q and 1/2 yr. Cons: almost double Rd spending, increased marketing costs, 892 M in inventory, high interest expenses. link. They are operating inefficiently. Time to turn over some management I think.

On the cash front it has me wondering. They lost $600 million but they gained $400 million in assets. How does that happen then? Another big loan?

Hmm? More speculations I suppose :p We went out after work for dinner and drinks tonight actually .

No,just common sense is all.

But whatever you say ! When your employer takes the kinda hits yours has been taking financially,the last thing I'd be doing is going out to celebrate with drinks,and big grins.

Unless of course I'd found work for more money at a better place,or it was my birthday,
or some other such holiday.They need to cut more expenses,this usually amounts to
layoffs in any industry,but especially the tech undustry.

Engineers are a dime a dozen,and have been since the late 80's.

I know more then a few engineers with truly excellent credentials that are swinging a mop.

Most expect more jub cuts as we go further into the year.Thats what my broker tells me.

Or is this a matter of if your going down,at least go down swinging and in a blaze of glory ? :D

As negative as you usually are about AMD, it doesn't bother me any :p If there is one thing I've learned, it's that having been on both sides of the world, the view from the inside is drastically different than the one from the outside. If you want to do my worrying for me, no skin off of my back :D

On the cash front it has me wondering. They lost $600 million but they gained $400 million in assets. How does that happen then? Another big loan?
Yeah their interest payment have also risen. Seems they are issuing more stock from what others have posted but that'll never cover those expenses. They need some kick ass sales.
That sounds good. Its the only way to get back on top.
Actually based on a previous conference call that number was attributed to ati so I don't know how much you can say revolves around amd research. :rolleyes:

Engineers are a dime a dozen,and have been since the late 80's.

I know more then a few engineers with truly excellent credentials that are swinging a mop.
I question how truly excellent their credentials are if they are indeed "swinging a mop". In my experience it's been quite easy to find engineering work, and I'm too young to have what I consider "excellent credentials".

I question how truly excellent their credentials are if they are indeed "swinging a mop". In my experience it's been quite easy to find engineering work, and I'm too young to have what I consider "excellent credentials".

I thought that for a long time as well,until I realized many years ago, that many don't make it past the interview stage(s) no matter their credentials.A lot of people get hired based on the interview,not what they can actually do or have done.I know two people that worked on Candu,and James Bay,and have incredible ref's,but have horrid social skills. :eek: I haven't met many engineers that are social butterfly's/outgoing :D

You mean you've never had a supe that was a dolt ? that you could run circles around ? but they were one or two or 4 levels higher up the corporate ladder then you ? If not,you haven't been in the 'game' long enough.In just about every company I have worked for,office politics,and who can kiss who's ass the fastest plays a more important role,then who's the best,or who is truly the most qualified for the job.The bigger the corp,the more this crap goes on.There is an ocean of engineer's and lawyers out their that cant find work.My taxi driver last Thursday night has a masters in chemical engineering,graduated 16th in his class,out of 105,and yet he's driving a cab at 35.He spends half his free time looking,and faxing resumes.

When he isn't doing that,he's with his 3 year old daughter,he's a single dad. :)

I have a bach in Comp Sci,I finished College back in 1991,but after the tech boom/bust decided to pursue other dreams (Nursing) I am glad you have gained employment,don't get me wrong,good on you. :cool:

But the majority of grads (in those fields) are not sharing in that prosperity.

As negative as you usually are about AMD, it doesn't bother me any :p If there is one thing I've learned, it's that having been on both sides of the world, the view from the inside is drastically different than the one from the outside. If you want to do my worrying for me, no skin off of my back :D

I never claimed to be an optomist.... :D I usually see the bad in anything,well before seeing the good in it,AMD,death,taxes.Beleive it or not,I am more the optomist now,then
at any point previous in my life. :) I hope for the best,but always expect for and plan for the worst.

If a comparable model X4 was at retail now,and offered performance say within 5% of a X3210 for a few dollars more,or the same price,I'd likely chose it over the Xeon.I prefer to support the underdog in any endeavor,but I do have my limits.

I dont think there is anything wrong with being a realist,and with AMD I call it like I see it is all.I might be wrong in the end,and will admit so if called on it.I hope that AMD gets
the Phenom,etc,out and en masse,and in a hurry,and I hope they ramp into the sky.The
reality of it points in a very different direction though.

I know two people that worked on Candu,and James Bay,and have incredible ref's,but have horrid social skills. :eek: I haven't met many engineers that are social butterfly's/outgoing :D

n = 2 means what? Statisticians would chuckle.

Anyway, to be a good worker, one must need both the credentials and the social skills, how else are you going to communicate your ideas to co-workers, give presentations, encourage others, and overall help to create a prosperous work environment?

1 trillion dollars.

drevil20origke8.jpg

Back