GTX770 or a GTX780 @ 1920x1200

Sedriss

Limp Gawd
Need some thoughts. I'm looking to upgrade this week. I'm in need of a card (between these 2) that will allow me to play BF4 at Ultra detail and be able to use Shadow Play as well. Can a 770 do this realistically while to a good degree maintaining 60fps? Or would the safer bet to be to go with the 780? Not looking to update my monitor at this time since she is still kicking.

I also want this card to last me a while. Yes... yes... i know the rules of new and old tech but my GTX580 has been doing very well for me the past 2 years but it is showing its age. I want another 2 years out of the card that I choose. The games that I see playing in the future would be Watch Dogs (if it doesn't get delayed again), TitanFall, and The Division. Other than that nothing too crazy.

Thank you Thank you.

Am I reading the charts right?
It seems like, at 2560x1600 setting, 280x is outperforming 780.

BF4 was and is a broken game (but really fun when it doesn't crash..heh). Newer drivers have fixed the performance related issues there.

OP: i'd say if you want 2 years of longevity, an overclocked GTX 780 is your best bet - keep in mind that an OC'ed 780 passes the Titan by a good margin (10-15%), and while it won't be the fastest card 2 years from now, you'll be good to go. It's a fast card (very much faster than the 770) and overclocks ridiculously well. It's also far quieter and more efficient than your 580, so there's that as well.

I really feel like the 780 would be worth it over the 770 if you want 2 years of life out of the card.

TBH, you need 3GB of vidram for eyecandi heaven in bf4...however, for good/competitive MP, you turn off motion blurr, AA and a few other PP type things, so 2GB(770) should be fine..don't know about the other games but u should be ok...

If I were desperate I would buy a non-reference 280x over the 770 and a 780 (Evga Classified, MSI Lightning or Zotac AMP!...the AMP! is binned and if often the cheapest) over a 770. Recommend waiting (1-2 weeks?) for reviews of the non-reference 290x's.

Gtx 770 is already coming up on its 2 year anniversary since its just a gtx 680 with better clocks you are probably better off with a gtx 780 for longevity purposes.

Ty for the input gentleman. I was leaning towards a 780 but a friend of mine has a 770 and kept telling me it is a awesome card (no doubt it is) but he is gaming at a lower resolution then me. I just didnt want to be kicking myself later. Now to find the best deal I can snag on a 780....

TBH, you need 3GB of vidram for eyecandi heaven in bf4...however, for good/competitive MP, you turn off motion blurr, AA and a few other PP type things, so 2GB(770) should be fine..don't know about the other games but u should be ok...

Errr...I have everything on Ultra with 2x msaa, low post AA and 80% blur. I stay under 2GB in any cirumstances.

I can trade my GTX680 + $200 for a GTX780 and I do not know if I should do it.

I can trade my GTX680 + $200 for a GTX780 and I do not know if I should do it.

Uhm, that means you're essentially getting 300$ for your 680 which is quite a bit more than its worth, considering new 770s are around that price range +20-30$. I'd say it is worth it with that in mind.....it's also a heck of a speed boost over the 680.

Uhm, that means you're essentially getting 300$ for your 680 which is quite a bit more than its worth, considering new 770s are around that price range +20-30$. I'd say it is worth it with that in mind.....it's also a heck of a speed boost over the 680.

I am running GTX680 SLI at the moment but I disable it for BF4. I play at 1920x1080 since It was too expensive at 2560x1600.

The GTX 780 is a much better buy at this point for anything over 1080p. 2GB VRAM isn't going to cut it for much longer if you want to turn up the eye candy in games.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back